AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I am kinda diving into the HDTV after about a month of research. I have everything (or it's on it's way to me) except the tv itself. I will probably go with the 40xbr800 or maybe the 36xbr800 depending on how much room I have (the viewing area from the current set is only about 6 feet or maybe a little more). This is what I've bought so far...keep in mind I am stretching my pocketbook for all of this so be gentle:

-Sony HD100 (bought new for $550)

-Radioshaft bowtie antenna (can't use outdoor since in an apartment)

-Denon DVD-900 DVD player (It supposedly has no chroma bug in 480p...paid $250)

Then of course I bought the 3-LNB dish setup with the multiswitch. Should I be happy with the end result once the tv is in my possession? Also, I have really old electrical wiring in the house. Would I be at an advantage in any way by getting something like a Monster AV800 surge suppresor? Will it "clean" up signals or is that a bunch of rubbish? Also, I have some of the new mid-grade Monster cable for all my existing equipment, can I use this stuff or should I get some of this outrageously priced stuff (I do need to buy component video cable..any suggestions?) Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
570 Posts
You can buy surge supressors at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. that guarantee the equipment that is plugged into them. Just save the paperwork for your records. A surge supressor is to protect against voltage transients on the power line that occur during thunderstorms. Modern electronics are succeptable to over-voltage spikes.

When you install your dish, make sure and ground it and the lead in cable shield properly. This will negate the effects of old house wiring. Proper grounding practices were non-existent in the old days. Your equipment will be grounded if the cable shield is at ground reference.

Use the cables you already have. I don't believe you will be able to see the difference.

It sounds like you are spending a fourtune on your equipment, as most of us have. Happy viewing...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by debennett2
OK. I am kinda diving into the HDTV after about a month of research. I have everything (or it's on it's way to me) except the tv itself. I will probably go with the 40xbr800 or maybe the 36xbr800 depending on how much room I have (the viewing area from the current set is only about 6 feet or maybe a little more).
I cannot comment on the rest, but a 40" screen might be a bit large for viewing non-HD (e.g., digital cable or satellite or OTA) from 6 feet. Great for HD stuff, though.

I have the KV-34XBR800 (16:9) and view it from 7-8 ft. It is perfect for 480p DVDs. I could sit closer for HD (720p/1080i) sources. But it's almost too close for standard definition digital cable -- but OK.

Phil

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I sit 6 feet away from RCA F-38310 16 X 9 modern HDTV, that can display digital screen HDTV, that's what makes Home Theater, Home Theater don't you agree?:)

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you do mostly HD and DVD viewing I would also suggest looking into a widescreen 16x9 set. The 34XBR800 is a winner. If you do a lot of satellite and cable viewing still the 36XBR800 should be plenty at 6ft.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hob: Unless I was on a very very limited budget would I buy that set..regardless of my format preference. Knowing that you have such an eyesoar would make a person do 1 of 2 things, depending on their personality: 1. Just deal with it and not say a word to anyone about it to keep attention away from it or

2. Actually convince yourself that it is good and go around spreading a plague of what you have convinced yourself is good cause you just didn't have the cash (which is totally fine..but don't gloat about it) for a real set.

I think I've made my opinion clear on your opinion and would appreciate it if you wouldn't interject every forum string with the 16:9 to 4:3 debate and the RCA rubbish..Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Having owned the RCA 38310, and now awaiting the 40" Sony, I can say that I am lookign forward to the Sony for many reasons. One if whioch, is they are far less problematic than the RCA. Secondly, HDTV is still far from being the standard...and if your tv in a non-ht dedicated tv and wyou watch mostly regular TV, than a 4:3 likes the 40" Sony is a smart move. And compared to my RCA I won't miss much. All I lose is 7% in widescreen features, but I gain almost 70% on standard format tv. I may not have a builting HDTV tuner, but it would go to waste for me as I prefer the use of my Tivo. And in the future, your cable company will more than likely offer you a STB for a nominal monthly fee or even free. PLus I have hte option to use DISH or DirecTV if I prefer. And I gain a better looking picture and a flat screen that is far less reflective than the RCA.

At this moment in time, if you need a set that needs to pull double duty, both as HT device AND standard TV, the Sony 40" is a GREAT buy. You get the best of both worlds.

Heh, but if I had the deep pockets...a nice 60"+ plasma would be hanging on my wall. ;)

And I forgot to mention regardin surge protectors, I bought my Monster HTS1000 a little over a year ago and I love the piece of mind it has offered. Well worth the money. And it makes sense, I have always used top notch protectors for my computer equipment, so why not the very expensive AV equipment as well...only took me a few years to wise up... heh heh :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.