Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but...

I have optical audio coming from my DVD into the receiver. I have a problem with it slipping out. it doesn't seem like the tightest connection possible. I guess what I'm asking is, what is the correct way to connect optical cables?

·
Registered
271 Posts
There is only one way to plug it in. The toslink is keyed. Sounds like either you bought crappy cables,,, or you specific combination of cable and receiver had the correct tolerance build up that let the connector be loose. Id say first try flipping the cable around. Second try wrapping a small peice of tape around the connector. Or just buy a different brand and try it.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I've never seen a tight TOSLINK connection--they are all loose, some more than others. If you have to use TOSLINK (i.e., your DVD/receiver can't handle coax cables for digital audio), you can tape the connection to prevent premature ejection--just make the connection, then wrap a piece of electrical tape around the end of the cable to the receiver. You can also do what Ciper noted (trying to build up the "size" of the connector via tape), but just be careful not to cover the light-emitting part. If you tape externally, it may look stupid, but you have less a chance of messing up the connection.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
The cable should actually click into place. If you don't feel that click then something is not sized correctly...

greg

·
Registered
271 Posts
I agree with both of you. All of my toslink connections are a little loose they also are supposed to click into place. I have one cable that works in everything but my dvd player. The weird thing is that other cables work in the player. The port on the player and that specific peice just dont like each other so i traded cables and have no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.