AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an NEC PG 6200 CRT projector and have been using it to project a picture that is less than 5-feet wide.

I am considering replacing the projector with a Mitsubishi WS65315 65-inch Widescreen HD-Ready Rear-Projection TV. But so far, I haven't been able to see one; I've only read about them.

These are what appear to me to be the advantages of switching to the RPTV:

1: I get the 1080p resolution. (My current projector won't accept a resolution higher than 720p).

2: I get a bigger picture, without having to buy a new screen.

These are what appear to be the disadvantages:

Just 1: I am guessing that the CRTs in the Mitsubishi will not be 8-inchers. So I am imagining that the picture will be dimmer and less detailed.

Am I right about this?

Is it a trade-off between more brightness/clarity with the NEC, and better resolution with the Mitsubishi?

Are there other things I'm not considering?

Here's something I have been unable to find out for myself:

Will I need a scaler in order to get the Mitsubishi to perform at 1081p, or will it do that automatically?

Thanks for any help.

Nedra.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Why is the NEC doing less that 60 inches. I'm sure it would do 84" with no problem. That's 84" wide not diagonal like the Mits.

Those Mits are pretty awsome. I have seen several. My son has a 65" and my nephew has a 73". If I was to purchase a RP, it would be either a Mits or a Toshiba. My Marquee 8500 cost less with 2 rebuilt tubes. I have a 105" diagonal screen. You will still have to tweak the Mits. Turn off SVM and service menu convergence. You will need to get a service manual.

The Mits may have 9" tubes. It will be brighter than your NEC. It has component in and an HDCP DVI input. This will save some hassles with your sources.

Are you sure it does 1080p?

I'm sure though, for a lot less than the price of the Mits, you could get a bigger screen for your NEC and display 1080i or 720p. The Mits can't do 720p.

Walt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspec2
Why is the NEC doing less that 60 inches. I'm sure it would do 84" with no problem. That's 84" wide not diagonal like the Mits.

Those Mits are pretty awsome. I have seen several. My son has a 65" and my nephew has a 73". If I was to purchase a RP, it would be either a Mits or a Toshiba. My Marquee 8500 cost less with 2 rebuilt tubes. I have a 105" diagonal screen. You will still have to tweak the Mits. Turn off SVM and service menu convergence. You will need to get a service manual.

The Mits may have 9" tubes. It will be brighter than your NEC. It has component in and an HDCP DVI input. This will save some hassles with your sources.

Are you sure it does 1080p?

I'm sure though, for a lot less than the price of the Mits, you could get a bigger screen for your NEC and display 1080i or 720p. The Mits can't do 720p.

Walt
Thanks, Walt. I was just reading a Mits review and saw that same point made: it won't do 720p. Correct me if I'm wrong: but won't 1081i give me an over-enhanced picture in some instances? What's best for movies?

Also, getting a bigger screen does sound like a good idea, and I'm considering it. But another reason I'm thinking of switching is that my CRTs have over 700 hours on them, and I'm not sure how much longer I can count on them to hold out.

Nedra.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's something I found at HDTV,com.

"There are no CRT-based RPTVs that can natively display 720P. If the TV accepts 720P it gets converted to 1080i or 480P, depending on the set."

So . . . . that closes this thread for me, and thanks to Walt and all who looked in. (I don't find "Close Thread" under Thread Tools, but hopefully a mod will do it for me.) Thanks.

Nedra.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmIdowngrading?
Thanks, Walt. I was just reading a Mits review and saw that same point made: it won't do 720p. Correct me if I'm wrong: but won't 1081i give me an over-enhanced picture in some instances? What's best for movies?

Also, getting a bigger screen does sound like a good idea, and I'm considering it. But another reason I'm thinking of switching is that my CRTs have over 700 hours on them, and I'm not sure how much longer I can count on them to hold out.

Nedra.
700 hours? Unless you've abused it, probably another 5000-10,000 hours.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Or did you mean 7000 hours?

The key will be to project an all white screen onto the tubes. See if the whites are still white, or if they are turning jaundice.

Or the best way is to pull the lenses off the tubes and post a pix..:)

Curt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
Or did you mean 7000 hours?

Curt
Yeah, I left out a zero.

I'm leaning again toward the Mitz Diamond, and trying to do some more research on it. I'd get brand new CRTs and they'd be 9-inchers; and I like the idea of the whole thing being self-contained. The only thing I don't understand is its not accepting 720p. Do you know anything about this? I'm wondering, if I play a DVD on it, will it automatically give me a 1080i picture--and if so, will that be the best picture for a film-like look, or would 720p have been better? Also, do I need a scaler to go with it, or is there scaler in the set already? Any info you can give will be appreciated. I'm having a hard time finding any reviews.

My problem with a large screen is that I've got a slanted wall with a door at one side. I could use a pull-down screen, but it would come down over the door. I'm thinking the Mitz Diamond would look best, all in all.

Nedra.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still researching, and possibly getting confused . . .

Here's a quote I found, from a post at another site:

"Some of the reason that you may see a better picture with 1080i is that your TV is CRT based. Unlike micro-display technology LCD, DLP, and Plasma, CRTs do not display non-interlaced signals very well. Therefore, for CRT based systems, people tend to prefer 1080i over 720p. In my case (DLP-set), 1080i almost always looks worse than 720p. Now you could argue that having only 720 lines of resolution, of course 720p will look better. It has the same number of lines as your native display and is non-interlaced. However, there is more to it than that. This is my belief (albeit backed by many professional video folks), that even if you had a TV that supports 1080p (which will support both 1080i and 1080p natively), the 720p picture will look better on any program that has even a moderate amount of movement. Sports, for sure, and even most movies. Material that stays pretty static on the screen (beautiful vistas, talking heads, etc.) may look better in 1080i.

Now as I said in the beginning, this will probably not be the case for those watching CRT based HDTV's."

Can someone tell me if these things are true?

1. 720p is an idea resolution for many digital projectors, because they handle motion differently than CRT projectors.

2. 1080i is an ideal resolution for CRT projectors (at least where moving images are concerned), because of something having to do with interlacing. And that's why no RPTV CRT projectors display 720p.

Do I have this right?

Nedra.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
There's a lot of misinformation on that site - basically the 720p/1080i choice is personal preference. They both work fine on a 6200.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Hey,

On my rig, 720p is great and 1080i is unwatch-able. I know part of the blame is my Marquee because the scan lines with 1080i are big and distracting. Perhaps my Momitsu DVd player is also to blame.. maybe it doesn't upconvert to 1080 as nicely as 720?

-B

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The Mitsubishi would display 480p from a 480p or 480i component input. Instead, you could use a Momitsu or another upscaling DVD player and output 1080i, though. 1080i looks gorgeous on my friend's 65-inch Mits. Scan lines are noticeable, but not obtusive. The 65-inch diagonal set is a decent size, has nice tight convergence, and excellent color and depth. DiscoveryHD looks incredible on it, although the set reveals a lot of weakness in the DirecTV signal.

If I weren't so hooked on front projection, I'd definitely have a Mits CRT RPTV.

SC

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
1080i...beautiful picture...not so hot for football (I get dropped frames when the kickoff goes past the people in the stands.)

720p....beautiful picture...great for football (No dropped frames)

I believe 720p digitals are cheaper to make than 1080p.

Yes to watch your DVDs at 1080i you will need either a scaler, 1080i dvd player, or an HTPC.

Walt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb
The Mitsubishi would display 480p from a 480p or 480i component input. Instead, you could use a Momitsu or another upscaling DVD player and output 1080i, though. 1080i looks gorgeous on my friend's 65-inch Mits. Scan lines are noticeable, but not obtusive. The 65-inch diagonal set is a decent size, has nice tight convergence, and excellent color and depth. DiscoveryHD looks incredible on it, although the set reveals a lot of weakness in the DirecTV signal.

If I weren't so hooked on front projection, I'd definitely have a Mits CRT RPTV.

SC
Are "scan lines" and "resolution lines" the same thing? Will they be visible from 8 feet away on the Mits 65813? If seeing lines is my biggest gripe, should I avoid the Mits? Seeing those lines ruins everything for me.

N.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.