AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I turn the set on and it works for about five minutes then shuts off and has all three lights blinking. This is the first problem I have had with the set since I purchased it. It is a Samsung HLM 61" Model manufactured in October of 2002.

I assume the lamp has died on it and call Samsung at 1-800-Samsung. They refer me to Samsung Parts and give me their 800 number. They state that a new bulb costs $199. Not to bad, but they do not have them in stock.

I call a local repair shop that friend of mine used to get his DLP repaired and they said that the board and the lamp would have to be replaced (part cost $357) and labor ($300). This is with me being responsible for bringing the television to their shop for repair ; it would cost and additonal $140 for them to pick the TV up. I just find it hard to believe that I have to spend over $650 just to get my TV to work correctly again.

Is it required that the board be replaced or just the lamp? Now that my TV has been off I can't get it to come back on at all. The Timer light briefly flashes green when I press the power button.

Is it complicated to replaced the bulb itself? How about the board and the bulb? I just hate to drop this much money into it especially considering the bulb had no where near 6000 hours on it. Has anyone else had to replace their bulb manually?

And no I did not purchase an extended warranty. Really wish that I had. Thanks for any help you may have.

· Registered
16,405 Posts
First, try ordering and replacing the bulb yourself (very easy to do; the manual for my HLN begins with directions on how to change the bulb). If that doesn't work, then the lamp is bad as well (hopefully not the case).

· Registered
1,237 Posts
Aphesian,

I just traded in my HLM617 last week for a Mits 62725 so I am very familiar with the HLM. My HLM had the blinking lights problem twice in 18 months under warranty and Tweeter service came out both times and replaced the entire light engine. They stated that there was a ballast issue with the HLMs. And I do not know many service departments that spend more money than necessary on warranted repairs so I assume they knew what they were talking about. Sounds like you may have been lucky up until now.

If my memory is correct the HLMs did not have consumer replaceable bulbs (or at least the manual did not detail how to do it). I know the more recent Sammys make it at least easier to do.

But I agree that the first solution you should try is the new bulb. If that solves your problem you have saved some expense. But do be aware that your HLM DLP symptoms in many cases have resulted in light engines being replaced.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any danger that the light engine or system board that they would replace has gone bad and replacing the bulb will just result in it going out again very quickly?

I don't have a problem with replacing it every two years, but I don't want to have a reoccurring problem any more than that.

You'd think that with as many of these sets as they sell you could run down to the local electronics store and buy a replacement bulb off the shelf. All this hassle is ultimately just going to turn the average consumer off these products.

· Registered
4,217 Posts
The HLM617 were very unique since they came out late in the model year and were really HLN's in sheep's clothing. As long as Samsung offers a replacement lamp that is probably the same as the HLN model I would try the replacement lamp. If you require a different lamp assembly than the HLN series then you may have a bad ballast which were a problem on some of the earlier sets. I would then speak to Samsung tech advice about this and ask what to do. Your local repair shop only wants to replace the user replaceable bulb and make a very big profit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.