AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a small town served by Comcast who took over one of the poorer legacy cablecos many years ago. Reports are we are on a low hz (750???) system here. Anyway....in order to have some TV when cable dies from a power outage (happens here on CT shore a lot), I recently erected a 110" Antenna in my garage attic. So I tested my signal and it seemed fine on the key network channels, in fact it looked really good. So then I go and tune the same channel on cable and holy cr--! My antenna signal is sharp and clear with up to 6" or so, but the cable signal has completely collapsed at 3 feet out. Jagged lines, blurs, smeary faces you name it. Are all of you getting this kind of a junk picture for your $100+ a month from Comcast or am I one of the "lucky" ones??? Anything I can do?

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
Cancel cable and enjoy your 110" antenna erection.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If having OTA network channels only meets your viewing needs then by all means go the antenna route. But 750MHZ is not a under served cable system if it is utilized correctly. It sounds like you need a service call, if you pay $100 a month for video services you should have more than just local analog, so you should have some if not all digital channels which shouldn't exhibit the symptoms you are describing although you kind of lost me when you started throwing 6" and 3 ft into the equation.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp  /t/1524861/am-i-getting-taken-here#post_24544729

Are all of you getting this kind of a junk picture for your $100+ a month from Comcast or am I one of the "lucky" ones??? Anything I can do?

Generally an antenna channel will have better quality over a cable channel due to the cable's compression that takes its toll, but if it's as drastic as you say, it could be some correctable factor.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all. Two addiition pieces of info here: I stayed at a Hampton Inn a couple of weeks ago in Tampa and the 40" TV in the room showed a nice sharp phicture when viewed close up, as opposed to mine which is all "crushed". After I posted yesterday I got the idea to go to the local Comcast office and look at their set, also about a 40" I would say. I scrolled through their digital and HD channels,same as i get. I saw the exact same issues as mine, so the poor PQ seems to be town-wide. It seems sad we can't get a PQ equal to a cheap hotel's. I would really like to drop Comcast, but the 8-10 locals I can get with an antenna just are not enough.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
How was the PQ prior to the Comcast takeover? If it was better... complain.

If you are not satisfied, look into FiOS, D* or E* as an alternative for programming. Also, many individuals use online streaming alternatives using smart hubs and/or HTPC's.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1524861/am-i-getting-taken-here#post_24547687

How was the PQ prior to the Comcast takeover? If it was better... complain.

If you are not satisfied, look into FiOS, D* or E* as an alternative for programming. Also, many individuals use online streaming alternatives using smart hubs and/or HTPC's.

All good ideas, Ratman, but not fesible as on my street Comcast is only choice we have, period. Comcast took over the other carrier about 15 years ago. The only comparison I have is vs. the old analog and of course it is better than that. It just is not really an HD look when at 3 feet out people's faces start to just get all smeary. It is strange to me that there is apparently no PQ standard. They can deliver the required million pixels (HD) and then compress it to death so it looks like just so-so non-HD digital. Sort of like asking for a quart of milk and being given a can of condensed and told "it's just the same". Hotels used to have awful PQ, now they are better than mine.

·
Registered
590 Posts
There is a standard for 1080i it is MPEG 2. Compressing digital video shouldn't be a problem iAs i mentioned above get a technician to come check things out, if it's been a few years since it's been checked out it will be worth the effort. Also you have told us nothing about your set up are you using a cable box? How is it connected to your tv?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011  /t/1524861/am-i-getting-taken-here#post_24551901

There is a standard for 1080i it is MPEG 2. Compressing digital video shouldn't be a problem iAs i mentioned above get a technician to come check things out, if it's been a few years since it's been checked out it will be worth the effort. Also you have told us nothing about your set up are you using a cable box? How is it connected to your tv?

Well I did a bit more research and am shocked at what I found and where I found it (AVS!)....and it is from 2008! I am embarrasssed I missed this one. Of course I was not paying Comcast for HD back then. It is nuts what they are getting away with. (I have no cable box - HTPC with Ceton Inf4 tuner, cable card)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1008271/comcast-hd-quality-reduction-details-screenshots

·
Registered
22,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp  /t/1524861/am-i-getting-taken-here#post_24551727

All good ideas, Ratman, but not fesible as on my street Comcast is only choice we have, period. Comcast took over the other carrier about 15 years ago. .
Hmm.. 15 years and now you complain?

Not feasible for what? Do they block satellite signals in your area? Have you inquired about FiOS availibility?

Anyway.... talk to your provider and/or prospective providers. Also, some homework would be in your best interests.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Don't feel bad, even FiOS is lower quality than OTA. And they are supposedly offering the best quality HDTV signal. We use OTA for the networks, and FiOS for channels that are not available via OTA.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1524861/am-i-getting-taken-here#post_24552691

Hmm.. 15 years and now you complain?

Not feasible for what? Do they block satellite signals in your area? Have you inquired about FiOS availibility?

Anyway.... talk to your provider and/or prospective providers. Also, some homework would be in your best interests.

Wrong. I have been on their butts for much of that time. We have had water ingress issues on the street etc. When they finally went digital things did get better. Then last year I paid them extra for more channels and HD. Sillly me for expecting to get more quality for more money, right? Serioisly it is just not the HD signal we all saw in the demos years ago, its just been compressed too much. I would love FIOS, but not offered, can't even get natural gas in my part of town. I go to Germany a lot. I would be happy with their signal quality (no compression artifacts) or their prices (about half of here), heck I would take either or, but we get low quality and high prices. Sound like I will have to grit my teeth and bear it. The guy that invents a way to clean up "compression smear" will earn his deserved millions. Going to be hard to sell next generation OLED's against a crappy signal, though.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Why is satellite not an option? I mean, people in the boondocks get satellite.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa  /t/1524861/am-i-getting-taken-here#post_24555453

Why is satellite not an option? I mean, people in the boondocks get satellite.

Wife does not want to see on roof and I am invested in a cable TV Tuner (Ceton Inf4) in the HTPC which is my DVR substitute. Then we cannot get a decent Internet speed on our street with AT+T or others phone Co's. Here I do give Comcast credit for being good. Thanks for your ideas, but nothing is simple!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
What shows do you watch? It's possible they are online and you can dump the TV portion.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa  /t/1524861/am-i-getting-taken-here#post_24556601

What shows do you watch? It's possible they are online and you can dump the TV portion.
Yeah... but that's usually compressed also.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1524861/am-i-getting-taken-here#post_24556716

Yeah... but that's usually compressed also.

He wants more than OTA, so his alternatives short of renting/buying everything on blu-ray are going to be compressed no matter what. I was suggesting something he could view right now and compare to his current (and unsatisfactory) cable TV.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
Yeah... he has a problem with his provider or perhaps the PC.

I'd suggest renting an HD capable cable box for a month and compare to the PC.

No one here can resolve the "problem". All we can do is provide suggestions. And again, if this has been a problem for 15 years, it's time to either get the unhappy subscribers together to complain or find a suitable alternative.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did have a cable box for a while and its picture was no better. Also, as noted there is a lot of crush in the Comcast' local office's own monitor signal so doubt it is likely I am going to get better. What I am going to try to do is have a look at someone's a town or two away and see if it is just our system. The idea to go to Internet unfortunately eliminates too much that we like and need from a programming standpoint. Do much appreciate your help in any event!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp  /t/1524861/am-i-getting-taken-here#post_24560134

The idea to go to Internet unfortunately eliminates too much that we like and need from a programming standpoint.

Well, you're kind of stuck, then.

You need to pressure Comcast to look into improving the signal, but they really only respond to threats of defection to another provider, if that. Yes, I know it's not practical for you, but they don't need to know that part.

Beyond that, you're left with what you got.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts