I/O Magic PVR

Lite-on 16x DVD

Win2k Pro

WinDVD 3.0

YXY(latest version)

Dscaler(latest version)

LT150

16x9 DIY screen (constant width of 92")

I'm running my desktop at the LT's native res of 1024x768 which displays alot of image above and below my 16x9 screen but I don't care about that since I use a regular monitor for everything but the movies. I bring up winDVD in windowed mode with the aspect ratio locked to give me a window of the correct aspect ratio of the current dvd. I resize that to fit my screen and then use YXY to blackout everything but the image. Each DVD is being added into the YXY database so when I insert it YXY automatically centers the image correctly and blacks out the rest. This works really well and since I have a constant width the higher the aspect ratio the shorter the picture is. Then I use Dscaler and YXY again to center a 4:3 image in the center of my screen to watch normal tv.

My question is am I using the HTPC to its fullest potential? I've tweaked the win2k reg to give me custom resolutions but I still just use the native 1024x768. I only used the custom res for games to squeeze the game into a 16x9 screen. I thought I was going to need powerstrip but right now I don't know what for. I tried using a custom res of I believe 1280x720 (might be wrong) and ran a movie and I didn't notice any difference. (very untrained eye but I'm learning) So am I doing this correctly? Keeping everything at the native res of the LT150 or should I have a custom res for each aspect ratio? 1.85:1, 2.35:1 etc

Again right now it looks pretty darn good but I said the same thing when I hooked up a non-progressive dvd player using a composit cable to the LT150. Now I can't even look at that because it looks so bad.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yes, you're doing quite nicely.

The LT150 will accept 1280x720, but scales it back to 1024x768. So there's really no use in doing so.

Life is a little bit easier if you use powerstrip to create a 1024x576 resolution. It will then automatically place your desktop in your 16:9 screen and you won't need YXY because both the software DVD players and DScaler will place the image appropriate in full screen mode. It's also quite simple to switch back to 1024x768 when you use your external monitor.

You don't need custom resolutions per aspect ratio. However, life will again be made easier if you set to 1024x576.

I now run the LT150 at 70Hz once I discovered it was supported from the service menu. I prefer it slightly over 60 Hz. This can be done with powerstrip.

Enjoy...

--Les

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that is exactly what I wanted to know. I probably won't bother getting powerstrip then since it really isn't a hassle the way I'm doing it.

Just one question. Is my output for DVD's considered 480P?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arrow
Yes, you're doing quite nicely.

Life is a little bit easier if you use powerstrip to create a 1024x576 resolution.

--Les

Hi Les,

What's the advantage of 1024x576 for HTPC? It will makes the black bars at the top and bottom of widescreen to be darker? I mean if there is no light on the black bar area.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a follow up question along the lines of the original post...

I've got an LT150 and dedicated HTPC that I'm trying to set up (after months of lerking and learning...) on a 16x9 screen.

I've used powerstrip to configure my nvidia card for 1024x576, and the resulting display looks like 16x9 on a monitor...

but

when I connect to the lt150, it seems to be 'streatching' the image to 4:3 size...I can't seem to get any powerstrip settings that will cause the lt150 to just leave it alone...

Any suggestions?...do I need to further tweak powerstrip?...or is this a setting with the lt150?...or is this even possible?...

Help!

-David

·
Registered
160 Posts
CKL:

Using 1024x576 eliminates the need for YXY. This is a good thing because the less tinkering, the better and is exactly what I am doing at home. It does not reduce halo (one would need a 16:9 PJ to do that).

David:

If you're using the correct PowerStrip settings, the output should automatically fill your 16:9 screen and the LT should not resize anything. Try pasting these settings into PowerStrip (3) to define a new resolution:

1024x576=1024,32,104,168,576,35,3,125,58885,336

For more info, see this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...LT150+1024x576

Hope this helps!

...Ben

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dgirard
when I connect to the lt150, it seems to be 'streatching' the image to 4:3 size...I can't seem to get any powerstrip settings that will cause the lt150 to just leave it alone...

Any suggestions?...do I need to further tweak powerstrip?...or is this a setting with the lt150?...or is this even possible?...

-David
Do you have the LT150 set to native mode?

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK...I poked around and found the 'native mode' setting...

I've also tried enabling and disabling the Auto Adjustment...

It now seems that I do the 576 of vertical resolution, but the horizontal resolution is being shrunk by something (still 4:3 shaped on the screen)...to the extent that when I use the powerstrip settings to shift left and right, the image is actually 'clipped'....I'm wondering if this is being caused by my video adapter...

\\

(it's a NVIDia Riva TNT2...)?

Should I try another video card?

(thanks for the quick response BTW...)

·
Registered
599 Posts
LynxFX wrote
Quote:
I bring up winDVD in windowed mode with the aspect ratio locked to give me a window of the correct aspect ratio of the current dvd. I resize that to fit my screen and then use YXY to blackout everything but the image.
I have the same 16x9 screen and a desktop that shows "off the screen" as you do, but when I play a DVD (almost no 4x3 material), then sending the player to fullscreen displays perfectly on my 16x9 screen.

I never leave it in windowed mode.

Actually, I think my homemade screen isn't exactly 16x9, but its more that than 4x3.

Any movie in full screen mode fits on my screen. for 4x3 material, i was going to get a newer player (possibly the TT player) which allows AR control - again, 1 less plugin to worry about by eliminating the YXY thingy (which i don't use).

I also see no need for Powerstrip. the 1024x576 res isn't compatible with my AccessDTV card.

I use dScaler as well to improve analog/tivo signals, but it displays in the middle on its own so I don't need YXY.

One thing to check - if you are on the desktop, the pixles for icon names should be EXACTLY 1 pixel wide when walking up to the screen to look closely. Another easy way to check this is hover over an icon to bring up the help text in a light-colored box. Look at a letter with a long vertical line (1, L, T, etc). If the pixel has aliasing or bleeds out of that vertical line, then there is a phase issue. Pushing the source button on the remote will generally re-sync.

I made my own 30ft RGB cable using MRWIGGLES thread on Shielded Twisted Pair Cat5 cable.

Best of luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.