AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there.

sorry if this isn't the proper place to post this. am i going to run into problems running a 35Ft HDMI cable from my receiver (onkyo 805), to my PJ (AE2000U)?

i've exhusted hundreds of forums, and am getting conflicting information. will i need a booster? will i be able to transmit 1080P, as well as full HD audio?

my shorter cables from my PS3 and my HD rogers box are 3 FT, 1.3a CL2 rated 24AWG gold plated connectors.

my longer one to the PJ is tin plated CL2 rated 22AWG gold plated connector. should i return this one, and spend the extra to get 1.3a? do thet come that long?

all are from monoprice.

thanks for the input people.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Not that it's pertinent to your specific question, but why would you need to run audio to a PJ? Ok, so I'm just being a tard and pointing out something you said that doesn't make sense..

Anyhow, I believe the general consensus, and my opinion as well, is that cables are cables.. mostly. Monoprice should be fine, spending more won't help if you have an issue.

I find it a little hard to believe that you've exhausted your resources trying to find info on this. I'm fairly sure I've come across this discussion here already, and I've never even searched for it. If I recall, the distance where you may begin to experience trouble with HDMI is around 25 ft. However, many people have claimed runs of up to 50 ft with no problems. With HDMI, it's digital, so the signal either makes it or it doesn't. Hook it up and find out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. there is tons of information on this, like you said, but i haven't found a clear answer. since these cables are being built into the walls, i was hoping to find out for sure before hand.

my understanding is this: if it works, it works. since it's digital then there can be no loss of quality in the video...or audio! am i right?

it's not the end of the world if i have to replace the cables, but the long one is definately not 1.3a.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Clear answer?

You want a clear answer on something that just doesn't have a clear answer.

I have run 35' to the AVR and 35' to a display / projector plenty of times. I have run into some cable issues, I have run into sources that really hate it period and had to resort to Component Video.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I have a 35' HDMI cable from monoprice running from my Onkyo 805 to my Panasonic ae1000u, and I have absolutely no problems. There are others, as JOHNnDENVER said, who do have problems.

For the price of the monoprice cables, get one, connect them and see if it works flawlessly before you run it through the walls, and go from there.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
schroedk, Interesting that we use the same projector with similar runs and are both experiencing zero issues.

I help a lot of people with their stuff these days and HDMI issues are by far the most common issues I am asked to address.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/14252335

schroedk, Interesting that we use the same projector with similar runs and are both experiencing zero issues.

I help a lot of people with their stuff these days and HDMI issues are by far the most common issues I am asked to address.

I know; personally I am not an HDMI fan, and think that "political" reasons are why we're stuck with it (meaning, more benefit for the content producers/manufacturers and less benefit for the consumers). Most of my PITA troubleshooting on a personal level seems to involve HDMI in some way.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF Ghost /forum/post/14252688

I've heard Monster cables do the troubleshooting for you...

For the price, it'd better!

·
Registered
409 Posts
FYI - I have a 75' HDMI cable from Monoprice and it's working flawlessly with my Epson 1080UB. As others have said, HDMI is a digital connection and it either works or it doesn't. I have been quite happy with cables I've bought from Monoprice for myself and friends - 2 x 35', 1 x 50' and my own 75' - all work with no problems reported so far.

I suspect you aren't likely to have any problems unless you get a bad cable or there is something flakey with your receiver output or projector input. If you do have problems, move the projector closer to your receiver temporarily and connect it using one of your shorter cables. Just shine it on a wall or something for testing. If it still has problems with the short cable, you'll need to look at your receiver or the projector.

Good luck, but I suspect you won't need it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have 35' Belden Series-1 HDMI cable from Bluejeanscable, works like a champ. I have 35' component cable and 35' composite cable that I made myself and all work perfectly.

2 things will cause trouble (there are more, but start with 2 for right now):

1. Running video cable along side power wires = problem

2. Ground loop issue = problem

and

3. Bad cable/connector

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Huh. 1 + 1 + 1 = 2? Interesting. I'm learning something new every day!

BTW - I tried that red pill. After about an hour the walls started talking to me and I could taste colors. Entirely unacceptable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts