AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the XBOX 360 HD DVD Add-on for quite sometime and I think it is a great bargain. The problem lies with the Audio sync issues I've been having and basically making all my HD DVD's unwatchable. As hard as I try to watch a movie I end up frustrated and can't truly concentrate on watching a movie because the lip syncing is so off. This has led me to debating on selling my Add-On and picking up an HD A1. The Analog outs will be a big plus to allow me to get TRUEHD and other sound formats I was missing out on. However, here is the big question...

Does the Toshiba HD A1 have the same faults with Audio Syncing that the 360 Add-on does? I've read a lot of information and I've came across some who claim the HD A1 contains some of the same problems that the Add-On does. This is truly the only thing holding me back from picking up a standalone player. Of course, I've heard there are no problems with the 2nd Generations models but I really don't have the budget for a XA2 as I'm really looking forward to Analog outs.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
513 Posts
at this point in time I would recommend a 2G player. If you could not tolerate a 1G add on's quirks. you will probably not tolerate the the 1G quirks either.

Jorge

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
The sound quality is better on the HD-A1 via optical than the Xbox 360 is via optical.

However, it also suffers from audio sync issues, and the machine is slooooooowwwwwwwww...

·
Registered
905 Posts
HDA1 via analog here. The machine is slow, but I haven't had any sync issues using the analog outputs. They sound excellent. Although I've listened to the coax/optical outs for comparison, I really haven't spent enough time in that mode to say that they are problem free for my player. I do get an occasional skip and I have encountered audio dropouts on one disk, Cream:RAH. I believe the audio dropouts are disk related though.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have mine mine since launch, and can report no glitches or problems whatsoever. I still love mine, but I'm getting the XA2 as well just because I can.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman /forum/post/0

HDA1 via analog here. The machine is slow, but I haven't had any sync issues using the analog outputs. They sound excellent. Although I've listened to the coax/optical outs for comparison, I really haven't spent enough time in that mode to say that they are problem free for my player. I do get an occasional skip and I have encountered audio dropouts on one disk, Cream:RAH. I believe the audio dropouts are disk related though.

I had sync problems on the HD-A1 with analogue as well.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivodoctor /forum/post/0

I have had my HD-A1 for months. No freezing or audio sync issues through HDMI.

Same Here, only that I had my A1 since May 2006.

...Angelo

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've had my A1 since September and have been absolutely delighted with it. The analogue outs are a real plus with the A1 as my Denon 1906 AVR doesn't have hdmi inputs and the quality is superior in my opinion to that which comes from the optical route. I've had the very very occasional audio sync issue - I can count them on one hand - but I've always been able to solve it immediately by pausing the movie and then pressing play again (reminds me of the same issue I occasionally had with SD-DVDs and Theatertek on my HTPC). For the life of me though I can't understand why folks get so hung up on speed. After all, what's 30 seconds? May be it's because I've come from the HTPC route that I couldn't care less about those extra seconds. When I put a disc in my HTPC it would take a minute or so for the PC to decide to play it in Theatertek and boot said programme up, during which time I was setting my volume level on the receiver, arranging my chairs and so on. In any case, the reality is that when the A1 has booted up the HD-DVD the response on my machine has always been immediate. Mate, you could sell your X-Box add on and buy a decent second hand HD-A1 for the same price (which is only going to be a few months old anyway) and you'll be very happy together for years to come. Go for it I say!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have two A1s. They operate flawlessly, and the sound is amazing. Some of the NEC drives in A1s and XA1s have problems right off the bat. But if you get a good A1 (the vast majority), it will stay good and bring a smile to your face every time you turn it on. .

·
Registered
580 Posts
My A1 has audio sync problems, at least once per movie, sometimes 3 or 4 times. It occurs after a noticable hiccup in the picture. I have to hit pause and play to get it back in sync. I'm using analog connections.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
So the real answer?

If you get an A1 that does not have skip/freeze issues, does not have WTW/BTB issues with your monitor, and your able to fine tune the audio with your surround system well enough, you will be in HD heaven with it.

I love mine, really I have had mine since summer now, no problems at all. I have tested Component video and now HDMI, as well as multi-channel analog output and now HDMI audio and it has been just a great piece for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.