AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been wanting a 3D projector for years, and I finally broke down last week and ordered a Benq HT1070 for $499 new on sale at Newegg. I'm getting the glasses and everything else needed from amazon. I've been on the hunt for 3d movies, and I have a lot coming. I found used on eBay and Amazon, and I'm getting %60 off others with the Disney movie club. The problem I'm finding is that newer movies are not as common to get 3D. I know 3D TVs have stopped coming out, but I thought 3D on projectors was still a common thing. Are they phasing out 3d and I coming on board too late?

·
Registered
539 Posts
So, I've been wanting a 3D projector for years, and I finally broke down last week and ordered a Benq HT1070 for $499 new on sale at Newegg.

I know 3D TVs have stopped coming out, but I thought 3D on projectors was still a common thing. Are they phasing out 3d and I coming on board too late?
Never too late to begin a productive hobby, and welcome!

If you peruse the 3-D forums you will discover that newer 3-D films are indeed nearly impossible to find on store shelves, but they can almost always be imported from the UK at reasonable prices. But don't limit yourself to the current trend in movies; many very good titles from 3-D's heyday in the 1950s are available thanks to smaller releasing companies like Kino Lorber, Twilight Time, and Flicker Alley.

A good selection of IMAX and BBC nature documentaries provide lots of 3-D pleasure. As long as you have the equipment you will not lack for quality 3-D entertainment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never too late to begin a productive hobby, and welcome!

If you peruse the 3-D forums you will discover that newer 3-D films are indeed nearly impossible to find on store shelves, but they can almost always be imported from the UK at reasonable prices. But don't limit yourself to the current trend in movies; many very good titles from 3-D's heyday in the 1950s are available thanks to smaller releasing companies like Kino Lorber, Twilight Time, and Flicker Alley.

A good selection of IMAX and BBC nature documentaries provide lots of 3-D pleasure. As long as you have the equipment you will not lack for quality 3-D entertainment.
I am finding a ton of older movies that I want in 3D. I have several animated on the way already like Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 1 and 2, Despicable Me 1 and 2, and Monsters vs aliens. I also made a rather large order on Disney movie club using my 60% off VIP option to get a bunch of Marvel and Disney movies at 12-15 each, with plans to recoup my money selling the other discs and codes online. I already own all these (i'm up to 400+ movies on Vudu/MA now), but I need 3D. I also want to start collecting Blu-rays. My understanding is the physical disc has more detail vs streaming due to compression on streaming videos. On a 92" screen, I want it as clear and nice as I can get. When all my stuff comes in I should be around 15 3D movies for now. I just wish I had more money to spend, but I see there are plenty of movies to collect. I'm still sad I can't get newer movies easier, but maybe that'll change.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
If watching 3D is more important that owning 3D, then you can rent a lot of discs from https://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/.

You can also watch and "own" 3D titles on www.VUDU.com, a streaming service access through smart TVs and bluray players. Go to their website, and enter 3D or 2D/3D in the search box. Some come in combined sets of the 2D version bundled with the 3D version. If you buy to own, they will keep it in their online library for you.

I buy some from Best Buy. You have to go online and search for 3D movies. I also buy some from Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk. If you have Prime you can use the same password and payment card at both sites. Some of the titles on the UK site are region free, but some are region B, so you have to explore that on our 3D Content threads.

Happy 3D watching...:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it's addicting for me to collect. I've always been about getting digital Only, but now I want the bluray as well for a better experience over vudu and Google. I have over 400 movies on vudu, but to spend a ton buying the same movies is hard.

I found a Sony BD-s6700 refurbished on Walmart.com for $40. How is the 2d to 3d conversion on that?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Primer

Here is my sticky on the Blu-Ray.com 3d forum attempting to answer many of the questions you are posing. It may save you a lot of time in understanding the complexity and beauty of 3d on blu-rays.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=302179

It deals with region free 3d blu ray players and the nuances of 3d blu rays. I am up to 733 3d blu rays on the list that is presented; and these are the ones worth watching in my opinion. And you are right in the sweet spot to buy 3d blu rays. They are cheap as hell on amazon.de(germany).

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I found a Sony BD-s6700 refurbished on Walmart.com for $40. How is the 2d to 3d conversion on that?
It's okay, but unless there is camera movement horizontally, it can't tell where in space the objects are. Mostly just pushes objects back into 3D space and makes some objects appear in the wrong space. I don't use it much.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I joined late as well, I bought a BenQ W2000+ Less than a moth ago. An de actually have never liked 3D before, saw it on the cinema and didn’t liked it, too dim and I use glasses, so it wasn’t confortable wearing thos throw away glasses the cinema uses. Then tried it on a friend’s tv some years ago' and again, didn’t liked it.

Until a few days ago, that actually tried it on my projector, I never considered 3D before, but now I’ve bought about 10 movies in 5 days. They look amazing on this PJ!!! But I’m afraid there’s no much on 3D I like, it used to be more of a blockbuster movie thing and don’t watch most of those films. Still, I’m gonna buy about the 25 titles I like that are on 3D.

Amazing technology on DLP projectors, too bad it’s dying, Netflix discontinued it’s use a few years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts