AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I can't tell if I'm losing my mind or not.. Is there a CRT guru out there who can comment? I've got a Runco DTV-930 7" CRT which just came home from Runco after having the red focus fixed (about 30 projector hours ago). I had a group over watching a movie when suddenly the picture seemed to lose about 15% of it's brightness (it was obvious, and everyone in the room noticed). The source was VHS (eew! The movie everyone wanted to see was only available that way), processed by a DVDO iScan, driving the projector with RGBHV. The next day I used Video Essentials to check the brightness and contrast, and I had to move the brightness up from 39 to 50 to get the PLUGE to look right. It had previously been professionally calibrated right after being re-hung, so I can only assume it was correct before. It's now running at brightness 50, contrast 72 (the contrast was near 72 before).

Now, I can't shake the feeling that something isn't quite right. The color bars all seem to look right, but I can't shake the sense that the colors aren't quite as bright and punchy - kind of of like looking at 70s TV, but not as bad.

Some admittedly low-tech subjective tests reveal that the projector doesn't seem to be resolving low-level colors very well - a blue dress that fades into shadow and black on a 27" TV in the other room (not calibrated) looks much darker and nearly black in the theater. Things in general seem to fade to black sooner than they should, but turning brightness up just turns black gray. It's like the color RANGE is suppressed or something.

Is there some common malady that would cause such a phenomenon? Is it possible to even check this objectively without meters and instrumentation? I'm not ruling out the possibility that the whole thing is in my mind, and that I'm just seeing things that aren't there because I'm looking too hard..

Maybe someone can recommend a DVD with nice long sequences of rich, saturated, color that I can look at to reassure myself that I don't have to be without my baby for another 2 months to get it repaired??

Dan

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Did you replay the tape to see if it was the tape? When I got my first PJ I used VHS and on one tape I noticed the high voltage sounded like it was arching, it happen a couple times on the same tape. Could of been the PJ but it has never done it again on DVD.

Deron

·
Registered
146 Posts
Check for loose video cables. I had some brightness fluctuations and flicker and when I wiggled the break out cable from the ISCAN to the projector the light levels flickered. Once tightened up, everything was fine.

Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.