AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
A Samsung 65" QLED UHD TV... Onkyo AV Receiver... Polk Audio Surround Sound Speakers...
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am perplexed as to why NBC which showed Men In Black in HD two years ago, would repeat it recently in SD. Am I wrong? Was it not MiB that they showed in HD 2 years ago? If so, then that would mean that the film was already available in HD. How much could it cost them if they were going to rebroadcast it, to show it in HD again?

NBC celebrated their 75 year anniversary tonight. Who's betting they'll make another 75 years with their attitude toward embracing change?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by carltonrice
NBC celebrated their 75 year anniversary tonight. Who's betting they'll make another 75 years with their attitude toward embracing change?
I glimpsed NBC's celebration program, they had a small piece about the introduction of color and I was thinking about how different Pat Weaver's enlightened attitude was compared to today's suits at NBC.

Greg

·
Registered
979 Posts
The archives mention that MiB was shown on the NBC network on November 27, 1999. It was, apparantly, an early demonstration. I guess Jack Valenti made a phone call, since virtually no movie has since been seen in HD on NBC!

Gerald C

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,153 Posts
Researched this briefly before posting this current query about what upconversion gear NBC may be using locally (NYC) or nationally. An HDTV version was discussed here. Not a fan of upconverts, but what I saw Saturday was impressive. -- John

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
"Men In Black" was in HDTV two years ago....the same day that our NBC HDTV receiver failed!

I think NBC had some stake in that movie, so they were able to make some provision for it being in HD. This time, they did it with DVS (Descriptive Video Service) on the SAP channel....it actually was very well done!

But, I guess we only get one new technology at a time.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I watched it when it was aired in HDTV and I was very impressed with the image quality.

It's very interesting that they havent done any other movies in HD.

Perhaps that will change this year.

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.