AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of making a HTPC . Basically I want to start off with recording all my dvds and music to my HD and then hooking it to my Hitachi 57swx20b. Also use it to surf internet. Some gaming

I have 2 componant inputs( HD cable /DVD) and 1 DVI (OTA HD) I can remove the DVD because it will not be needed.

Computer = XP with SP1 installed - Media player 9- DirectX 9-40g HD also getting a Western Dig 160 HD so all together 200G. 640 mgs of 2100 Ram a Intel celeron 1.70 Ghz processer. I have a onboard Intel Graphics controller 64mgs with a VGA output. I have 3 open PCI slots. I am guessing I need a new PCI Video card with componant out? Gaming will probably be in the future so I want something to handle that.

If everything works well I will get a 120HD capture card and do away with my OTA tuner.

Am I on the right track?? If I am correct I just need the new HD for storage( I hear there are problems with anything over 137 being recognized) new Vid card ( whats a fairly good one? ) and upgrade my computer DVD drive also wireless mouse and keyboard. Then get the HD card later.

Guessing I will need Powerstrip also.

So by what I have posted what all goes together well?

Opinions needed

Terry

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Your system seems little underpowered to me in terms of CPU and RAM speed, but it might be OK.

You really want AGP Video card, not PCI. Radeons 9600 or9800 are the best if you plan on gaming.

There are no problems with HD >137 GB if you use XP SP1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with the processor comment. Look for an Athlon XP 2000+ or better, not only will you get a much better chip, but a motherboard with NVidia nForce2 chipset will give you better than average sound processing - dolby digital - in fact.

As far as the RAM goes, I would recommend 1024mb, 512mb min.

On the video card front, my gaming system uses a ATI Radeon 9800xt, but my HTPC uses a All-in-Wonder 8500DV - which I recently saw at Office Depot for $99!!

I honestly can't tell you which HDTV tuner card to use, but some cards work well other graphics cards, some don't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.