AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been keeping up with this Red Ring of Death issue here and on Xbox.com. I've had a Launch unit that has not given me any problem to this point, but I'm not an extensive player I get an hour here and there, I have Gears, Lost Planet Call of Duty 3 and the HD add on. I probably watch more movies than play games. My buddy at work got the red rings over the weekend and will have to use his extended warrante to get a refurb. I bought no extended warrantee, even if I did it would probably be off now as even MS's extension they offered is gone now.

I been entertaining getting rid of the system and games and ad ons before this thing goes belly. And I'm trying to balance whether I'm just being Paranoid or it's an inevitable conclusion. Even if I traded toward a PS3 they are hardly Proven technology.....

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
It's always a gamble with electronics. You wagered $300 versus the price of an extended warranty versus nothing happening.

If you call MS, there's a good chance you can buy an extended warranty from them if you want to go that route. Personally, I've never bought an extended warranty and never had any problems myself. I've saved enough that if a component died on me and I have to replace it, I'm still ahead over if I'd bought all the extended warranties I've been offered.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not so much of an issue with the warrantee, as it is there is a huge problem with this device, probably to the extent of a class action being launched, some people are on their 7th Xbox..

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Any system could go belly up. It's just the risk you take of buying any product, especially a game console.

Purely anecdotal: My launch 360 started freezing/locking up. Got a refurb back from MS and no problems since. I am not a heavy gamer in terms of hours, so it's not like I hammer on the thing.

My PS3 has not had any issues yet. It has only 2 months, so any mid/long term issues have not had a chance to surface yet (if they exist). There is also not much "buzz" surrounding any consistent and common hardware problems from PS3 owners (unless your hdtv can't accept a 720p signal
).

So based upon anecdotal web reprts and some more legit sources (gaming sites, etc.) the 360 has some issues, but the chances are still in your favor that you will never experience them.

The PS3 as of now seems more stable and reliable (after only 2 months of time), but who can tell what you'r experience might be with a PS3.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Bear in mind that people are more likely to say something *if* they have a problem. Most of the people who have a 360 are not bitching on an internet message board, they are enjoying their game system.

I have had no problems with mine. Out of my co-workers at Best Buy with 360's (something like 23 people that I know of), 2 have exchanged theirs under the 2-year Best Buy replacement. I see about 3-4 a week being exchanged, which may seem high considering the 30 we sell a week but this includes everyone still withing their 2 year replacement period and that does also include the lauch day systems. Some of that is user error, too. One was exchanged last week as defective because he couldn't get the new wireless controller to work (he didn't sync it) and we caught him when he brought the second one back.

PS3 is no different, we got 35 in last week and have sold about half of that. Some of those were exchanges too. I've got two 360's and 3 PS3's sitting in the warehouse waiting for me to send them back to the retailer and that was since last Thursday.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Guys, I'm getting sick of these threads. People only come on to post that they have a problem, think of the millions who don't bother because they are busy playing their 360.

Bottom line, many of us have launch day units, myself included. If you're paranoid, get an extended warranty.

Kyser

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.