AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my Sony 550 hooked up by HDMI to my Pioneer Elite VSX-01 reciever

Everything is setup correctly as far as I know. The receiver displays DTS-HD MSTR, and I have sound from the rear speakers, but on the display the SBR and SBL speaker lights will not light up.

So my question... Is there something wrong? Am I really getting DTS-HD MA? Or do I have to use analog cables from the BD to the receiver?

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrooks315 /forum/post/15493202

I have my Sony 550 hooked up by HDMI to my Pioneer Elite VSX-01 reciever

Everything is setup correctly as far as I know. The receiver displays DTS-HD MSTR, and I have sound from the rear speakers, but on the display the SBR and SBL speaker lights will not light up.

So my question... Is there something wrong? Am I really getting DTS-HD MA? Or do I have to use analog cables from the BD to the receiver?

Thanks ahead of time.

I think it's safe to assume you are getting the DTS-HD MA if the lights are coming on correctly. The reason the SBR/SBL lights aren't coming on likely has to do with the source being only 5.1 channels. Have you tried a 7.1 DTS-HD MA track? Look at the back of the title's case and it should tell you if it is a 5.1 or 7.1 mix. If it is a 5.1 mix, and you want to use your rear surrounds, then it's simply a matter of changing the setting on the receiver for the rear surrounds from "auto" to "on." At least, that is how it was done on my slightly older elite receiver. I'm sure the manual will tell you how to do it or you could ask in the thread for your receiver over in the receivers section. On my current Denon receiver, the lights on the left side of the display will show the input as 5.1 for a 5.1 soundtrack, then the lights on the right side of the display will show 7.1 for the output depending on how I have it configured.

·
Registered
30,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesyjames /forum/post/15497750

Have you tried a 7.1 DTS-HD MA track?

That's the best way to check, by using a 7.1 soundtrack. If your receiver gets a 7.1 signal, then you're hearing the MA track. If your receiver only sees a 5.1 signal, then you're getting the DTS core.

Sanjay

·
Registered
314 Posts
Actually, when DTS-MA is activated, the night will literally turn into day. It is that powerful.

just kidding, Sanjay and jesy have you covered.

·
Registered
30,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead /forum/post/15498476

Actually, when DTS-MA is activated, the night will literally turn into day. It is that powerful.

That's true. Other DTS factoids: DTS actually built the stairway to heaven. The DTS bitrate is so big, it can be seen from outer space with the naked eye. If the show '60 Minutes' compressed their audio using DTS, you could watch it in 22 seconds. On the DTS DVD of 'Titanic', the ship makes the iceberg sink. It is that powerful.

Sanjay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/15497944

That's the best way to check, by using a 7.1 soundtrack. If your receiver gets a 7.1 signal, then you're hearing the MA track. If your receiver only sees a 5.1 signal, then you're getting the DTS core.

Sanjay

The movie was Rush Hour 3 that I was watching when I noticed it. It is a 7.1 source.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrooks315 /forum/post/15502001

The movie was Rush Hour 3 that I was watching when I noticed it. It is a 7.1 source.

I realize this is probably an obvious question, but are you rear surrounds(not side) configured to yes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are talking about in the On Screen Setup. Then yes.

Maybe its just Rush Hour, But I just didn't understand why a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio movie would only light up 5 speakers, but play through 7 (I kind of thing the rears and surrounds were playing the same thing and the reciever was set to PURE DIRECT) and receiver shows it being decoded as DTS HD MSTR

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
I believe Rush Hour 3 is one one five or six 7.1 discs that some dts decoders improperly downmix to 5.1. This was discovered when the PS3 added dts-MA decoding. RH3, Hairspray, Pan's Labyrinth, Shoot 'em Up, and one other disc that escapes me at the moment were mixed with unusual surround speaker mapping flags. It turned out the combination of the flags and the decoder produced 5.1. The PS3 decoder was fixed with a firmware update. But, it looks like Sony used the old version in the S550. I recall reading about similar problems with the S550 and another one of those discs. Hell Boy 2 has also been downmixed to 5.1 by the S550 and some other new decoders, including the one just released for the Samsung BD-P2500.

Try another disc.

·
Registered
30,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/15503974

RH3, Hairspray, Pan's Labyrinth, Shoot 'em Up, and one other disc that escapes me at the moment were mixed with unusual surround speaker mapping flags.

Was it 'The Golden Compass' maybe?

Sanjay

·
Registered
9,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/15504795

Was it 'The Golden Compass' maybe?

Sanjay

No, The Golden Compass was OK. In fact, that disc was released right after the PS3 issue came up and was used to establish that the dts-MA decoder worked fine with discs that didn't have the alternate speaker mapping flag.

I looked it up. The last one was The Condemned.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrooks315 /forum/post/15508350

Do we know any other good movies that don't have any 7.1 issues?

This website Blu-ray Statistics has that information, although it's up to you to decide what's "good". You can filter the audio by various types - the codec, number of channels, bit depth, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So if I have a 5.1 system, will I not get master audio no matter what? I can't get my dts master light to come on with my blu ray and receiver that decodes dts master.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnung /forum/post/15669340

So if I have a 5.1 system, will I not get master audio no matter what? I can't get my dts master light to come on with my blu ray and receiver that decodes dts master.

A 5.1 system is fine for dts-MA. Most discs are encoded in 5.1.

What player, what receiver, what cable(s), and what settings are you using? And, are you selecting the dts-MA track on the disc? The source of your problem is somewhere in that information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks BIslander, I figured it out from the owner's thread of my receiver. I had a couple settings off. It comes standard sending audio thru the TV and the amp, I had to select amp only to get it to go multi channel. Thanks again for the response.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts