AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a device that will do the following out of the box (this rules out XBMC):

- Play DVDs

- Stream MP3s over the network in track number (not alphabetical) order

- Stream ripped DVDs (VOB and/or ISO) over the network

- Stream MS-DVR over the network

- Be quiet (this rules out Xbox 360)

Am I right in thinking that there aren't any devices out there that will do this reliably?

· Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyFish /forum/post/0

I want a device that will do the following out of the box (this rules out XBMC):

- Play DVDs

- Stream MP3s over the network in track number (not alphabetical) order

- Stream ripped DVDs (VOB and/or ISO) over the network

- Stream MS-DVR over the network

- Be quiet (this rules out Xbox 360)

Am I right in thinking that there aren't any devices out there that will do this reliably?

Although modding an Xbox is trivial nowadays--so I don't understand your objection (but that's your call, of course)--it will still not play HD (beyond some 720p Dvix files). So, no: we aren't there yet.

· Registered
451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver /forum/post/0

Although modding an Xbox is trivial nowadays--so I don't understand your objection (but that's your call, of course)--it will still not play HD (beyond some 720p Dvix files). So, no: we aren't there yet.

What criteria are you using to conclude that mod'ing an XBOX is trivial?

It most certainly is NOT trivial if you have never done anything like that before!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=841388

The above thread is one of many many threads that attests to how none trivial mod'ing is.

My definition of trivial would be that my wife could do it because if she could do it then the majority of people on this planet could do it....

· Registered
2,396 Posts
The content streamer is the slowest tech segment. Note how few if any of the traditional major CE manufacturers are involved. Note how most every unit has some kind of huge gaping issue with codecs, interfaces, etc... that makes it less than user friendly. Notice how people are making the best of what's available and trying to find something that will work for them rather than arguing over which model offers the finest tweakability and audio/videophile nuances (like every other forum here). Notice that a 7 year old hacked game console with long outdated hardware is still being actively developed for and the long running open source project seems to dominate the interface, codec, and network streaming space and no one has successfully done a semi-decent knock off in all this time.

I don't know where we are in relation to where we are headed but I can say for certain that we haven't come very far and we've been moving at a frustrating crawl the entire time.

· Registered
451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB /forum/post/0

The content streamer is the slowest tech segment. Note how few if any of the traditional major CE manufacturers are involved. Note how most every unit has some kind of huge gaping issue with codecs, interfaces, etc... that makes it less than user friendly. Notice how people are making the best of what's available and trying to find something that will work for them rather than arguing over which model offers the finest tweakability and audio/videophile nuances (like every other forum here). Notice that a 7 year old hacked game console with long outdated hardware is still being actively developed for and the long running open source project seems to dominate the interface, codec, and network streaming space and no one has successfully don't a semi-decent knock off in all this time.

I don't know where we are in relation to where we are headed but I can say for certain that we haven't come very far and we've been moving at a frustrating crawl the entire time.

Gota agree with you...it is going painfully slow. When considering how cagey and hard the media industry is working to CONTROL all media I am somewhat surprised that Network media players still exist.

· Registered
30 Posts
Have you looked into the Avel LinkPlayer2? I can confirm it does all of the above accept "Stream MS-DVR over the network" but they say in the I-O Data forums it can stream them depending on the audio type.

· Registered
451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fontana /forum/post/0

shlap, so the LinkPlayer2 can play DVDs in VOB/IFO or ISO format over the network? I couldn't find this mentioned in the docs.

You will need to use WIZD in order to play ISO and VOB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.