AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with my installer today and he received the PJ this week. He tells me it will be installed in my theater by Friday. It's my first PJ so I'm really looking forward to playing with it this weekend.

I haven't seen any reviews, has no one viewed one yet? I'll put in my 2 cents as soon as I can.

· Registered
18 Posts
We are in the same boat - my sales rep informed me that he has a unit of the DPX-1000 received and will bring it to my home theater for a demo this week. I want to replace my Sharp XVZ9000, and after the disturbing reports of strange noise from the Sharp XVZ10000 and a mediocre review of the Marantz VP12-S2 in the May Stereophile Guide to Home Theater I am looking forward how the Yamaha will perform. So let us share our observations. By the way I had a demo of the Dreamvision Cinema TenPro in my setting (23' x 20' room; 10' screen). Picture was great, functionality acceptable but the price was not.

· Registered
2,867 Posts
Who is the installer or company? I'm down in Monmouth County. Since it's your 1st PJ, what others did you look at before deciding on the Yamaha? Your local dealer?

Thanks.

lenny

· Registered
1,447 Posts
About the Marantz review, i would hardly call it mediocre. In fact, TJN says it is the one digital pj he could live with as a crt owner.

Also, see my thread regarding Marantz's response--the biggest issue seemed to be HD through component inputs and Dan Miller provides an excellent explanation of why this is

· Registered
1,237 Posts
I second Keith, we did a side by side between the S2 and the 7200 in my HT and I thought the S2 through a better picture (both P J's were knock outs by the way). The Marantz also holds up well to the Sharp Z10k.

Roger and selecfpj,

I look forward to both your comments on the new Yamaha.

Would you mind sharing the price you paid via a personal PM?

Thanks

· Registered
17 Posts
Did anyone look at the Rnuco cl700? I live in the midwest and there are only 3 projectors to look at in operation. I have considered the Yamaha but would like to see it. I will be anxious to see how Selectfpr likes the new toy.

· Registered
524 Posts
Merle, I looked at the Runco CL 700 (a new HD2 CL710 is shipping soon). I thought it had a very good picture; certainly on par with the Marantz. I found the fan noise to be obtrusive, however and that is a big concern of mine. Word is the Yamaha is VERY quiet. Also, dealers have told me that Runco service is something of a concern. I'd wait to check out the 710 to see what, if any, improvements are made.

· Registered
12 Posts
After doing much research, I've narrowed my DLP H2 Mustang projectors choices to four products:

1. InFocus ScreenPlay 7200

2. Runco Reflection VX-1000c

3. Toshiba TDP-MT8U (rebadged InFocus ScreenPlay 7200?)

4. Yamaha DPX-1000

Please post your comments on your projectors so I can narrow down this list to one! Thanks!

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Roger

Good luck with your demo. My room is 15' x 17' and I am using a 100" diag. Firehawk.

Lenny,

Although I currently live in NJ, my install is actually in Sedona, AZ. My local installer got it from a distributor in Phoenix.

I basically decided on the Yamaha based on my experience at CES. The PJ's I viewed were the Infocus, Toshiba, Marantz, Dwin, Sharp, Sim2 and Yamaha. I viewed each one at least 3 times. I narrowed it down like this.

All the PJ's were very impressive and I would probably be happy with any of them. However I was able to make gut decisions without seeing them side by side and in various setups.

The 2 worst IMO were the Infocus & Toshiba. They just didn't seem to have the same intensity and wow as the others.

I decided against the Marantz because of the short throw distance and the outrageous surcharge for the long throw lens.

The Sim2 I thought was very good but I felt was overpriced compared the others.

That left it down to my 3 favorites, in order: Yamaha, Dwin & Sharp. The Yamaha in particular just had a wonderful picture and top of the line features. Now I just have to see it for real and hopefully it will be as good as I remembered it. I will let you know.

Fred

· Registered
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew P
I havent seen the Yamaha, but in my opinion youve left the two best HD2 projectors off the list (Sim 2 HT 300 Plus and closely followed by the Marantz VP12S2).

Andy

I thought, or was told that the HT300Plus and the VP12S2 were NOT HD2 projectors. Can you confirm? If so, I have to re-evaluate my options. =)

So re-evaluating my choices (random order):

1. DWIN TransVision TV3

2. InFocus ScreenPlay 7200

3. Marantz VP-12S2

4. Runco Reflection VX-1000c

5. SIM2 Multimedia HT300Plus

6. Toshiba TDP-MT8U

7. Yamaha DPX-1000

Any comments to reduce this list would be greatly appreciated. Right now its being pointed at the Yamaha DPX-1000.

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bleeb
I thought, or was told that the HT300Plus and the VP12S2 were NOT HD2 projectors. Can you confirm? If so, I have to re-evaluate my options. =)
You have been misinformed. They are both HD2 and the Toshiba is a clone of the inFocus 7200.

Chris

· Registered
524 Posts
Both of those are HD2 units. Both are really nice. In my opinion, the Sim has a nicer picture but has a noisier fan than the Marantz. The recent Stereophile HT review of the Marantz was tepid, at best for a major magazine test. The Yamaha promises to be more feature-laden, quiter and with a more proven company service record. Time will tell. . .

· Registered
248 Posts
Bleeb,

from reading around the forum the consensus seems to be that the Toshiba and Infocus are inferior to the rest of the projectors you mentioned.

I don't have either one but i'm in the market and going to wait a few months for a price drop.

· Registered
524 Posts
I am sure the Marantz and Yamaha prices will drop within 6 months, especially if the Sony SXRD product undercuts the $10k barrier.

· Registered
248 Posts
Docray1

While i agree with the price drop timeline, however I'm not banking on the Sony to be around the 10k range.

· Registered
3,639 Posts
Someone posted a link to a newer Sony article not too long ago. It said that the Sony SXRD prices will be between the $20K-$30K. Not the price hype people made it out to be.

And isn't the Runco Reflection VX-1000c an HD1 projector? I thought they were using the same projector and putting in the HD2 chip and renaming it to VX-1000ci. The change would be done on the down low as not to upset too many people who already bought the VX-1000c with the HD1 chip. I'm not positive about that so check it out. I would think more than just a chip swap would be needed to go from a 10 degree HD1 to a 12 degree HD2.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.