AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.splashtop.com/

Someone once recommended it to me (Damelon ?) and then Asrock started offering it as a standard with their mobos so I got hooked. It works very well. The ipad and iphone apps are also neat. I can sign onto my PC and control it anytime, and it streams audio and video very well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I used it for a couple of years but when they went to the annual subscription model, I bailed. Microsoft's remote desktop has come a long way and the ipad & android apps work quite well.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr  /t/1522513/am-i-the-only-one-that-uses-splashtop-instead-of-team-viewer/0_100#post_24481740

I just use RDP or Remote Desktop Manager...

I use this for my server. I do it nearly daily and it works very well. I love that I can click "use all monitors" and it brings up my 2600k based Flexraid server on all three of my triple monitors, or I can just use one monitor and keep my normal work station on the other two. Very nice!

I am a huge RDP user but I never figured out how to get audio and video to stream well, or use it to control my parents or brothers HTPC at their place or my own desktop from work.

I also never figured out how to use ipad or iphone to control my PC or server either (or other machines)

Can you clarify that for me?

Locally SLASHTOP is FREE. But over internet it requires a small but reasonable fee.

And my last question for you you guys is that I found it hard to set up RDP on a machine that did not have a password. I don't want a password on my machines, especially my HTPC which I don't want to enter from a remote only controlled device. Is there a way to get the normal microsoft RDP to work on say my HTPC without a password ?

It works great on my server because WHS2011 requires a password and I have one. But that threw me for a loop last I tried so I ended up just using splashtop which works well. I am sure there might exists a solution. know it ?

·
Banned
2,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1522513/am-i-the-only-one-that-uses-splashtop-instead-of-team-viewer#post_24481887

I use this for my server. I do it nearly daily and it works very well. I love that I can click "use all monitors" and it brings up my 2600k based Flexraid server on all three of my triple monitors, or I can just use one monitor and keep my normal work station on the other two. Very nice!

I am a huge RDP user but I never figured out how to get audio and video to stream well, or use it to control my parents or brothers HTPC at their place or my own desktop from work.

I also never figured out how to use ipad or iphone to control my PC or server either (or other machines)

Can you clarify that for me?

Locally SLASHTOP is FREE. But over internet it requires a small but reasonable fee.

And my last question for you you guys is that I found it hard to set up RDP on a machine that did not have a password. I don't want a password on my machines, especially my HTPC which I don't want to enter from a remote only controlled device. Is there a way to get the normal microsoft RDP to work on say my HTPC without a password ?

It works great on my server because WHS2011 requires a password and I have one. But that threw me for a loop last I tried so I ended up just using splashtop which works well. I am sure there might exists a solution. know it ?

To access an RDP system over the internet you'll need to forward port 3389, and either take note of the cable modem's IP address or use some sort of dynamic DNS client to connect. That should be about it.

As far as using it with no password I believe the concurrent RDP session patch has an option to enable connecting with a blank password, but I certainly wouldn't recommend doing that with your ports forwarded. Anyone could connect to you machine. All of my computers have a password. On my HTPC I simply enabled autologin and it's never been an issue, as I have no other inbound connections to that computer anyway.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb  /t/1522513/am-i-the-only-one-that-uses-splashtop-instead-of-team-viewer#post_24481949

On my HTPC I simply enabled autologin and it's never been an issue, as I have no other inbound connections to that computer anyway.

+1 That's how I do it also.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so let me clarify.

I don't want to ever be able to access my HTPC from outside my local LAN inside my home. Never from away from home ever. I only want to be able to use RDP on it from my desktop located in another room on the same local network. I don't want to port forward anything or expose myself or my HTPC to any harm even though it's a pure 100% HTPC that never contains any personal information so I don't really think it could hurt me. What's the worst someone could do? Watch my media ? I'm generally PC knowledgeable enough to avoid problems in these areas anyways. My HTPC does not even need internet access actually.

But I don't want to use a password on it. I want it to restart automatically and jump right to my front end. I only have a remote on it. No keyboard. No mouse.

I want to do my maintenance and stuff from my desktop in RDP session. Can I remove the password and do that ? How ?

·
Registered
814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1522513/am-i-the-only-one-that-uses-splashtop-instead-of-team-viewer#post_24482031

But I don't want to use a password on it. I want it to restart automatically and jump right to my front end. I only have a remote on it. No keyboard. No mouse.

I want to do my maintenance and stuff from my desktop in RDP session. Can I remove the password and do that ? How ?

I cannot believe you don't know how to do an autologin ("netplwiz"); or, I cannot see the reason why you wouldn't want to.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi  /t/1522513/am-i-the-only-one-that-uses-splashtop-instead-of-team-viewer/0_100#post_24482097

I cannot believe you don't know how to do an autologin ("netplwiz"); or, I cannot see the reason why you wouldn't want to.

I guess I don't. Aware me.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
By entering the netplwiz command above, your can assign a designated User to automatically log in when the/a computer gets turned on or rebooted. You can also have the RDP remember your credentials so you don't have to enter a password all the time.

I use RDP from work with DDNS and a designated port which I forward to 3389.

Also use teamviewer when I want Restart/sleep options which I don't get with RDP. Also got Jump when it was offered by Amazon as free app of the day. Actually jump is my favorite RDP app for Android as it mostly behaves like windows RDP.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Type netplwiz in the run line (start, search/run box at the bottom). That gets you into the user manager which will give you the option of "not requiring a password for login" or something to that effect. Computer will boot right in to the desktop without any user intervention.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't want to port forward or use over the internet. I just want to use RDP locally without needing a password. From one machine in my house to another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja  /t/1522513/am-i-the-only-one-that-uses-splashtop-instead-of-team-viewer/0_100#post_24482195

Type netplwiz in the run line (start, search/run box at the bottom). That gets you into the user manager which will give you the option of "not requiring a password for login" or something to that effect.

So if I do that I can RDP in without needing a password ?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not sure if RDP requires the password but in RDP you have the ability to "remember" the login and auto connect.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that RDP does need the password but like I said, you type it in once and "save username and password".

In reality it's "remember my credentials"

·
Banned
2,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1522513/am-i-the-only-one-that-uses-splashtop-instead-of-team-viewer#post_24482196

I don't want to port forward or use over the internet. I just want to use RDP locally without needing a password. From one machine in my house to another.

So if I do that I can RDP in without needing a password ?

The Concurrent RDP patch will allow you to login via RDP with a blank password.

The netplwiz change will allow you to put a password on your computer and still automatically login and launch your front end.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321  /t/1522513/am-i-the-only-one-that-uses-splashtop-instead-of-team-viewer#post_24482179

Also use teamviewer when I want Restart/sleep options which I don't get with RDP.

RDP does have restart and sleep. While in an RDP session, click start, windows security on the remote PC. Then the power options are available in the lower right part of the screen.

Reactions: oman321

·
Registered
15,289 Posts
Since you stream video with Splashtop, you may not want to go down the RDP road since it sucks a video streaming. Does everything else great though. Nice for messing with the HTPC without disturbing anyone else.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts