AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost every time that I navigate to a page in the AVS Forum, I get assaulted with a dialog box asking me to install Macromedia Flash 5.0. It appears that there is a banner ad that requires this odious plug-in.

I am trying very hard to keep the absolute minimum of files and plug-ins on my HTPC, but I still want to be able to visit my favorite place on the 'Net from this computer. Must this banner ad use Flash? Can't whoever is advertising use an animated GIF like everyone else??

Am I overreacting, or are any other HTPC-ers bugged by this?

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
It bugs my ass big time! I don't even have any sound card in my PC that I surf with. I am not going to download unnessessary crap onto that PC (this PC in this case). So, I don't care for it AT ALL. All it says to me is... never buy anything from a company that wants to complicate my life. And, it says it.. over and over....

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, but that's just what I don't want--more software!

The whole point I'm trying to make is that I have an HTPC that is finally working in a semi-stable fashion, and I am trying to keep from polluting my setup with any additional unnecessary software, drivers, DLL's, etc. that could destabilize the system. For me, for this HTPC, a Flash plug-in definitely falls into the "unnecessary" category.

Forcing me to install software to view banner ads (or forcing me to buy software to suppress the ads) strikes me as highly intrusive and extrememly annoying. I don't at all begrudge the need for advertising to support this site; I am merely protesting the pushy manner in which it's being done.

However, judging by the near-total lack of response to my query (relative to the number of AVS forum members), I guess I'm in the vast minority. I guess I'm just going to have to keep clicking the "No" button every time that [email protected]#$%&! dialog box pops up asking permission to install Flash. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans:
However, judging by the near-total lack of response to my query (relative to the number of AVS forum members), I guess I'm in the vast minority. I guess I'm just going to have to keep clicking the "No" button every time that [email protected]#$%&! dialog box pops up asking permission to install Flash. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif
If you go into the View / Options in Internet Explorer and click on the Security tab, you should be able to setup a Custom security level so that instead of prompting you about that stuff, it simply won't download it...

Good luck! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
266 Posts
If this is wrong then please point this out to me, but to keep a perfectly clean windows install could you not partition your drive and have one clean windows install with DVD software and then dual boot with another windows installation where you can install any demo games, plugins, or whatever or even use it as a test bed instead of getting another computer?

Just a few thoughts,

Martin

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re the custom security level: Good idea! After I wrote my last post I thought of that too and disabled ActiveX controls in Internet Exploder. I just wish I didn't HAVE to... I hoped that the Home Theater Computers forum admins would realize that plugins are products of the debbil's workshop and would have kept them off this forum. *sigh*

As for the partition idea, I already have two partitions on this HTPC, one optimized for accessDTV/HDTV (DirectX 8.0a) and the other optimized for DVD playing (no DirectX 8.0a, no accessDTV drivers/DLLs). I would rather not add a third partition just so I can surf without being bothered to install plugins, but now that I have the custom security level the problem is sort of solved.

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans:
Re the custom security level: Good idea! After I wrote my last post I thought of that too and disabled ActiveX controls in Internet Exploder. I just wish I didn't HAVE to... I hoped that the Home Theater Computers forum admins would realize that plugins are products of the debbil's workshop and would have kept them off this forum. *sigh*
My big beef isn't with flash ads, but with popup ads. What really confuses me is that as soon as an ad window appears I close it, usually before it even loads so I don't see what's in it... I imagine most people do that as well (am I wrong)? So given that, it seems to me they'd be *less* effective than normal ads. Their only advantage is that they're more annoying! Ok, I'm done. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
My HTPC is also my main machine for web browsing, since it allows my layback armchair posture and my RPTV screen that I can see without my glasses.

For this reason I also have Norton Internet security installed on the HTPC. Norton acquired and added the AtGuard ad suppressing software last year, allowing me to control ads, active-x, and pop-ups. This was just in time since AtGuard stopped working when I put up Win/Me.

I've used all this for so long and have become so spoiled that I'm just overwhelmed when I web surf from on of my other machines without it. I totally believe everything takes at least twice as long without ad suppression, even with my cable modem.

And there are very few sites that I trust to run Active-x on my machine.

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry:
For this reason I also have Norton Internet security installed on the HTPC. Norton acquired and added the AtGuard ad suppressing software last year, allowing me to control ads, active-x, and pop-ups. This was just in time since AtGuard stopped working when I put up Win/Me.
I guess you'd recommend this program? A while back I used a program called AdFilter (at least I think that's what it was called). In terms of removing ads from web pages it worked wonderfully... I had a problem on my system for a while with resources being taken up and the system requiring a reboot and only after much messing around did I discover that it was AdFilter's fault.

Have you noticed any like problems with the Norton product? I tend to try to stay away from Norton programs these days. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I used to be a big fan of their stuff back in the days of DOS, but things seem to have gone downhill since then in terms of stability, etc...

·
Registered
9,884 Posts

Quote:
Have you noticed any like problems with the Norton product? I tend to try to stay away from Norton programs these days. I used to be a big fan of their stuff back in the days of DOS, but things seem to have gone downhill since then in terms of stability, etc...
adnix -

I first got Norton software when it came in a book, Peter was still doing the coding, and his wife was taking phone orders. I admit I'm somewhat less of a fan now. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

None the less, I've had very few problems with this version. Sometimes I have to temp disable ad suppression to do business with an e-commerce site that's also spamming the rest of the web, since there are tables of things to suppress by default, and I've added a number of sites.

But that's easy to do and generally I still recommend it.

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't see the ads or error messages you are all describing. Possibly because I am using an older version of Netscape (4.7 navigator). Is it possible that the offensive ads are being added locally by a greedy ISP? I do see the normal banners ads from AVS, but these don't seem particularly intrusive and are a small price for the great service AVS provides with this forum.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't quote me on this, Jerry, but I think it's because you're using an old browser which may not work with the Flash plug-in. If you ever see any AVS forum pages where the rectangular ad area is blank, that's probably where the missing Flash ad would be.

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way (for anyone who's still interested in beating this dead horse), I'm surfing on my work PC right now which has Flash 5.0 installed, and the advertiser with the offending plug-in is Digital Forge ( http://www.digitalforge.com ).

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 05-21-2001).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.