AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are all the current direct view TVs silver??

I don't see why black is not popular anymore. Silver is distracting and makes the border around the screen more noticeable. The last TV I purchased was a 1996 Sony and I love that black bezel. Unfortunately, Sony turned silver a year later and hasn't looked back since. I went to BestBuy today and noticed that ALL of the direct view CRT TV's are silver. =( I just don't understand why people would prefer silver over solid black. Did manufacturers notice that consumers prefer silver or did they just decide to make that the mainstream color without surveying public opinion?

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by justlnluck
Why are all the current direct view TVs silver??

I don't see why black is not popular anymore. Silver is distracting and makes the border around the screen more noticeable. The last TV I purchased was a 1996 Sony and I love that black bezel. Unfortunately, Sony turned silver a year later and hasn't looked back since. I went to BestBuy today and noticed that ALL of the direct view CRT TV's are silver. =( I just don't understand why people would prefer silver over solid black. Did manufacturers notice that consumers prefer silver or did they just decide to make that the mainstream color without surveying public opinion?
I think Sony started that silver crap and all the Lemmings followed soon after. This is one of the reasons i bought my specific Panny last year - it was the last black (well, almost black) HDTV on the market and had just been discontinued so i snapped one up before black became completely extinct. I was not going to buy a TV if it had to be silver! Yuck !

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/504...reo_Rack_b.jpg

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Yes, Sony started it all when they came out with the Wega Flat Tubes & their marketing department probably wanted the sets to stand out on the showroom floors so they talked them into going with a different color. A friend of mine has an auto body shop & he has sprayed a bunch of Silver TV's Black for people so that's always an option or do it yourself if your handy. :D I wish "all" companies would give us a choice because I'm no fan of silver either. When you go to the movies you don't see a big silver boarder around the picture to reflect light & it should'nt be on tv's either as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
350 Posts
you're not the only one. i friggin hate silver components, silver anything... i think it is crap. much like todays clothing styles and those gay baggy pants with bell bottoms etc. nasty. one day these kids are gonna realize how stupid they looked and hide any pictures from this era.

same with these silver electronics. you won't be able to give them away.

·
Registered
350 Posts
yeah, it's like the 70's ones

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RandyWalters, you're a lucky guy :)

Joxer, yes, but unfortunately silver is still visible on the outer perimeter.

Shpkey, LOL, yes my parents used to have an ancient JVC VCR that they bought in the early 80's and it was silver lol

Another thing I hate:

Have you noticed that on these new silver TV's the speakers on the sides of the screens have gotten wider, making the bezel even thicker and more conspicuous?

I would much prefer speakers on the bottom like my parent's 1992 35" Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mathesar

Well I like the 2 tone color scheme on my 32HS510 but I'm not sure what Sony was thinking when designing the newer HS420's models :rolleyes:
No kidding - that's why I bought 510 demo instead of brand new 420 in box.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The real reason Sony changed to their entire line to silver was so they could sell RP LCDs with inferior quality. They figured if they change mostly everything that all the other companies would think that they were marketing geniuses and jumped on the bandwagon just like Sony wanted them to do. The reasons XBRs aren't silver is EVEN Sony knows that silver sucks! The bottom line question is does the color of the bezel enhance or diminished the enjoyment of the picture? Flat Black Rules. The smart company would give consumers a choice.

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
The reason they make them silver is to attract stupid people who like shiny objects. It's all marketing :)

·
Banned
147 Posts
I like both silver and black TVs. It just depends on the TV, if silver or black looks nicer. For example, I think that Sony's new HS420 silver TVs look nice and high-tech. Black is generic, and every company does black for the most part.

Black TVs look nice too though, such as the new XBR and XS CRTs. Silver TVs look nicer when turned off, while Black TVs look nicer while on. But, as long as there is a black border around the screen, silver is still a nice cabinet color. But, in the end, I don't really care. Either is nice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Silver sucks. Black looks much better as a case/bezel color. Now if only I could arrange all of my equipment failures and upgrade impulses to only occur when black is in fashion..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Silver don't suck. For me it's the form design of the case that matters. If the bezel is sleek without bulky buttons, it doesn't matter if it's silver or black. The only reason why silver sucks now is because EVERYONE is doing it... Hence, it's old now. Time for Black again.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I won't upgrade my TV until a company offers a high quality unit with a black bezel.

My computer tower, monitor, keyboard, speakers, phone, and dvd player are all black. A silver TV would stick out like a sore thumb. I'll stick with my old Sony for now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.