AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I have a room 19 x 13 . Im going to setup a screen approx 106" - 120"

This would mean the back row eyeball-screen would be approx 17 ft and the front row about 11 ft (or just under)

Is this to close for the front row ? Any suggestions or comments ?

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
well, it is closer then the standard formulas toss around (1.3 x or 1.5 x screen width), but it really comes down to what you like and are comfortable with. my plan is for a 119inch diagnol screen with the sweat spot around 13 feet. later.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My room is 19x14 First row is 10 feet second is 17 feet I have 100 inch screen and Im going to replace it with 110 inch.I sit in the front and i love it it is not to close.My projector is mounted 11 feet back and it is a sony vw60 1080p.Look at my link for pichures of my sitting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
jasonemp,

I'm in the same boat with a similar sized room (same viewing distances).

A friend of mine has a 110" diagonal screen and it amazed me how much of a difference it made when you moved a foot or so back. I found the 110" screen hard to watch at around 11', but at 12.5' it was perfect. I think the 110" screen would be awesome for video games at 11'. One other thing to consider is the rear seating. At 17' the 110" screen looked small to me...

I would try to find someone with a big screen and move forward and backward and decide for yourself.

Good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
My 720 p projector is 16' from the screen which is 120" by 51" my seating is 9.5' and 12.5 feet and it is NOT too close.

The real answer to your question is what do you think? set it up and view it at that distance watch a couple movies are you and who ever will regularly watch with you comfortable with the size and distance?

that is the only thing that matters.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,163 Posts
Jason if it's not obvious by now you will soon find out that screen size is very personal. Old guidelines that were based on lower resolution projectors no longer apply. It's really a matter of personal preference for how much of your field of vision the image needs to be to create the true theater experience for you.

Get the projector and experiment. Remember you are not watching a TV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys

I had a old HT and im going to use my Sharp XV-Z91E (DLP) for a while as were building the house and funds are tight for the first year or so.

So it would be in 16:9 format for a while, until i can get a upgraded PJ

·
Banned
3,550 Posts
Currently I have a 106" screen in a 20 X 13 room and I watch 1080i or 720P about 9' 6" - 10.5' away. I am used to sitting this close. I know that after watching "Planet Earth" Ocean Deep even in 1080P, I still would not be comfortable from around that distance. Most all other movies or content I have watched while in the front row, I have been able to tolerate without any series issues or concern.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts