AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

my Energy RC 10 bookshelves are listed at 175w RMS, my receiver (yamaha v673) is giving them 90 watts.  They sound great, but I was wondering if they are being underpowered or if they're fine where they are. I went with this receiver because my rears are polk monitor 30s which recommends up to 100w, so I didn't want to go over that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

note: Energy RC 10 have a sensitivity rating of 91dB, so they're quite efficient which is why I initially figured 90w would be fine...but I still wanted to get some input from you all

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Your receiver is fine - however, they are not even close to 91 db sensitivity

Soundstage measured them at 85.5 db sensitive

Continue to enjoy

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Most likely, you have never fed your speakers 90 watts.  The amount of power going to your speakers is dependent on several things, including the input level and the volume control.

If your system plays as loud as you want without excessive distortion, you don't need any more power than you have.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62  /t/1514111/am-i-underpowering-my-energy-rc-10-speakers/0_100#post_24265684

I do not even know what the wattage rating of my speakers are.... it general it means very little....

Indeed.  There is no standardization for power ratings for speakers, and consequently, they generally have very little meaning.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgamuk  /t/1514111/am-i-underpowering-my-energy-rc-10-speakers#post_24265535

my Energy RC 10 bookshelves are listed at 175w RMS, my receiver (yamaha v673) is giving them 90 watts. 
I doubt they actually receive more than 10 watts on average.
Quote:
They sound great
If it ain't broken don't try to fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts