AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm putting together a home theater system and I'm on a budget. I picked up a pair of Klipsch R-28F and a pair of Dayton SUB-1000 subwoofers on craigslist for $400, which I thought was a steal and still do. I'm hooking up my old Pioneer VSX-1020 to them, and using bi-amp. I also have a Klipsch RC62 II center speaker. Am I making the most of my speakers? They sound OK so far, but I'm not blown away. I should also mention this is in a room that is 28' x 18', so maybe the room is just too big to expect much. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The powered subs won't draw much if anything at all. The Klipsch' are very efficient at 98db. You should have no problem driving the Klipsch' with 110W/ch.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Even a PAIR of 10-in Sub-Woofers [with wimpy 100-w each] will have a hard time filling your BIG room with Sub-Bass...consider a future upgrade to at least ONE (or TWO) much bigger Sub-Woofers [15-in would be REALLY Sweet]. In the mean time, you COULD spend about $150 to improve the ROOM EQUALIZATION so you can actually HEAR ALL of the Sub-Bass Freqs at roughly equal strength, rather than listening to JUST the primary Room Modes. Note that Pioneer MCACC Room Equalization only has TWO Octave Filters in the under 200-Hz region....which doesn't have enough fine grain resolution to suppress the narrow-band Room Modes while boosting the in-between NULLS.

I recommend buying the Monoprice 2-Channel 1/3-Octave Band Equalizer [insert in-between AVR's SW Out and Input to each Sub-woofer] and a set of 1/3-Octive TEST TRACKS with a Calibrated Sound Level Meter (with USB or Analog Output to PC/Tablet/Cellphone)...or just a Calibrated Microphone and some FREE Software. Start by reading my fol. posts, esp. ROOM CRAWL et.al. techniques to find the BEST SW Locations (best if NOT Symmetric so they excite Room Modes DIFFERENTLY):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...61-volume-control-subwoofer.html#post54537820

·
Registered
641 Posts
It is highly unlikely that you are underpowering your speakers. Did you go into your menu on the receiver and select bi-amping?

what is lacking? Bass, clarity, something else? Have you done the Sub-woofer crawl/experimented with placement?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@holl_ands Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look your post and look into the Band Equalizer.
@Muphasta
Did you go into your menu on the receiver and select bi-amping?

what is lacking? Bass, clarity, something else? Have you done the Sub-woofer crawl/experimented with placement?
I have gone into the menu and set it to bi-amping. I feel (not sure how to word it) I'm not getting a lot of crisp oompfh from the bass, like it's not hitting hard and the highs on the tower speakers aren't very loud and crisp. I haven't tried doing the subwoofer crawl, and I think that may be the next best step on top of researching a Band Equalizer. I also suspect that it maybe what holl_ands mentioned, in that it's such a large room, that the two 10 inch subs can't provide the bass I'd like to hear.

Thanks for advice folks!

·
Registered
641 Posts
@holl_ands Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look your post and look into the Band Equalizer.

@Muphasta

I have gone into the menu and set it to bi-amping. I feel (not sure how to word it) I'm not getting a lot of crisp oompfh from the bass, like it's not hitting hard and the highs on the tower speakers aren't very loud and crisp. I haven't tried doing the subwoofer crawl, and I think that may be the next best step on top of researching a Band Equalizer. I also suspect that it maybe what holl_ands mentioned, in that it's such a large room, that the two 10 inch subs can't provide the bass I'd like to hear.

Thanks for advice folks!
Just another thing to try, UN-bi-amp them, set it to not bi-amp in the menu, and give a listen. Maybe something is wrong inside the AVR? I'm bi-amping my RF-3s (1998 vintage) w/a Pioneer Elite SC-65 and I've a singe 15" Klipsch sub in an open floor plan house. I get plenty of bass, so much that the wife either bitches until I turn it down, or she leaves the room. Then comes back bitching about hearing it in our bedroom, so I turn it down anyway. Oh well...

Good luck!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts