AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if my system meets the requirements that would qualify me for acceptance in this distinguished $20,000+ forum

Though my system is showing its age, when I add up the sum total of the parts I am north of $20,000 (though over a lengthy amount of time).

Lexicon DC1 v4 - $4500 in 1998

Parasound HCA-1206 - $2,000 in 1997

Luxman r115 receiver - $750 purchased new in 1987 (for 2-channel listening)

Aerial Acoustics single LR5 (center duty) - $2,000 purchased used in 2008

Polk Audio RTA-11t (mains) - $1,000 purchased new in 1987

RBH?? in-walls (surrounds) - $400 pair purchased new in 2007

Pioneer DV-500 DVD player - $500 purchased new in 1997 (still works)

Sony PS3/Blue-Ray player - $300 purchased new in 2008

Marantz VP15s1 projector - $8,000 purchased in 2008

Carada 106" 16:9 BW screen - $600 purchased in 2008

Velodyne FSR15 sub - $1200 purchased new in 1998

Browsing this forum is helping me to prepare for my next upgrades: Amplification and new main speakers. After that I will upgrade my DC1.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Don't believe a word Lon says, he tries to institute the "Southampton house rule" requiring all participants in this forum to either reside or summer in the Hampton's.

We vetoed that rule, and threatened Titan confiscation the next time he was such a locationist.

So beware, there are indeed requirements....it's almost like a secret society, only on the Internet.

Dan

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
Are you updating to $20K gear?? There is no frat but your gear would more fit a 'vintage' forum.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch /forum/post/19631104

Browsing this forum is helping me to prepare for my next upgrades: Amplification and new main speakers. After that I will upgrade my DC1.

I would say the cheapest pair of mains speakers discussed on this forum is around $5,000 audiogon price which is $10,000 - $15,000 list. Poweramps may be half of that. If this in your budget range, you may pick up some usefull information here. Usually, more expensive components than that are discussed though.

To obtain practical upgrade advise you are far better off explaining what you trying to achieve, how much you are willing to spend and ask your your question very specifically on audiogon.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis /forum/post/19631248

Don't believe a word Lon says, he tries to institute the "Southampton house rule" requiring all participants in this forum to either reside or summer in the Hampton's.

We vetoed that rule, and threatened Titan confiscation the next time he was such a locationist.

So beware, there are indeed requirements....it's almost like a secret society, only on the Internet.

Dan

Next you will give away the secret hand shake

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
AT times, this forum seems to be more about the ability to SPEND $20k instead of discussing high quality equipment.

Let's see, I have never spent above $12K on a single piece of equipment and that was a projector. I do have some 10 year old digital SDTV broadcast video processing equipment on line in my HT that cost hundred of thousands new. In fact you could still spend $20K in the used equipment market for some of this stuff. I'll still put my SD DVD upconversion against any high end AV processor. So am I a qualified member here? In some eyes hardly! I got this equipment free from the property tax write-off scrap pile. I paid NOTHING! So therefore it's worth nothing right?

Personally I think the "$20K plus" should be removed from the forum title.

P.S. I use a Lexicon DC1 too. Mine is heavily modified so I was able to avoid the need for continual upgrading. I have full RS232 control, 8ch direct in, a control data buss output to slave my 6.1 sub processor to, balanced out of the sub wooffer, etc. I still see no reason to replace it. Sure the the later processors may do a slightly better job with "Logic 7" but as I have all the codecs for BluRay via my Pioneer 09d, I don't need or want an HDMI equipped audio processor.

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
I don't think anyone was ever run out of here for their lack of $20K gear or ability to spend. But the discussions here are typically on the esoteric, expensive equipment few others consider (much of which is below $20K).

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie /forum/post/19631425

AT times, this forum seems to be more about the ability to SPEND $20k instead of discussing high quality equipment.

I have to disagree. Discussion on the forum are about the quality of a piece of equipment, (or the quality of the image and sound quality produced by a piece of equipment in a particular system configuration and room). How much one is able to spend is not typically part of the discussion. It so happens there is a (far from perfect or linear) correlation between quality and price, so the high quality gear discussed here tends to be pricey and not for sale at best buy.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
In all seriousness, I've haunted this forum for about 10 years and we have the same inane prattle as the other forums, just about pricier gear instead of $300 receivers or $2000 projectors....just search Theta- 'nuff said.

Dan

·
Banned
365 Posts
All my gear would have at one time added up to $20,000 too. It's like getting hot exes of rappers that were dumped. So you get super hot merchandise that can be brought back to previous glory, that's out of style!

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/19631188

I don't see any single component costing close to, or more than, $20k. Also, no DCI grade gear. Did you read the definition of this section of the forum, at the top of the page?

You mentioned DCI gear, and I'm curious, what content are you playing back, and for that matter how? I'm genuinely curious. Are you using a system based around rv or framecycler, or are you using an editorial setup (e.g. avid DS). Or maybe you're re-purposing a Davinci or lustre setup (though that seems a bit impractical)

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
In the spirit of the OP I like to read on this section, but more to see what I might be experiencing in the future via trickledown or ( horror
) used equipment.

I normally wouldn't post on here, except in this type of thread. I feel that my experience wouldn't be relevent to most of the topics on here, apart from perhaps about calibration, but I wouldn't have thought I'd get chased out of here just because I don't own a single item worth more than $20K. If so I'd feel pretty disappointed with the forum if that occured: I once bought a Lumagen processor off someone who lived in a huge Mansion and he was the nicest chap you could wish to meet. He was interested in what I thought of his (high end) setup and treated me as an equal, which I found refreshing.

Equally, I don't expect to get thrown out of the

·
Super Moderator
21,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland
I don't think anyone was ever run out of here for their lack of $20K gear or ability to spend. But the discussions here are typically on the esoteric, expensive equipment few others consider (much of which is below $20K).
^^^

could not have said it better myself

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.