AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got an old Panasonic DMR-EH50 that I've been using to grab Formula 1 races broadcast on NBCSports on FIOS.

Dunno which of us is brain damaged, but I've missed the last several and have decided to see if I can upgrade this now nearly 10 year old DVR. For those who don't know F1 is broadcast live which means it's on in the wee hours of the morning most of the the time.

Ideally, what I'd like is a unit with a mouse that can change the channel on my set top box to the proper one and then record the race from the coax out port (or the component out) on the box. HD is a must. The Panasonic is SD and the downsampled stream from the set top box leaves something to be desired.

The Samsung smart TV that I bought a while back does a channel guide thing so I don't know why someone couldn't market a DVR with the same functionality.

And no, I'm not interested in a TIVO box.

I'm willing to roll my own if it's the only option. I would also accept a driveless solution as I have an NAS box on my home network which serves as a media center. Actually I would prefer this solution.

I've looked at the some of the recommended boxes and am confused and bewildered.

Would some kind sole provide some recommendations?

Thank you very much!

Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all,

I've got an old Panasonic DMR-EH50 that I've been using to grab Formula 1 races broadcast on NBCSports on FIOS.

Dunno which of us is brain damaged, but I've missed the last several and have decided to see if I can upgrade this now nearly 10 year old DVR. For those who don't know F1 is broadcast live which means it's on in the wee hours of the morning most of the the time.

Ideally, what I'd like is a unit with a mouse that can change the channel on my set top box to the proper one and then record the race from the coax out port (or the component out) on the box. HD is a must. The Panasonic is SD and the downsampled stream from the set top box leaves something to be desired.

The Samsung smart TV that I bought a while back does a channel guide thing so I don't know why someone couldn't market a DVR with the same functionality.

And no, I'm not interested in a TIVO box.

I'm willing to roll my own if it's the only option. I would also accept a driveless solution as I have an NAS box on my home network which serves as a media center. Actually I would prefer this solution.

I've looked at the some of the recommended boxes and am confused and bewildered.

Would some kind sole provide some recommendations?

Thank you very much!

Chris
Not entirely on topic, but have you tried the nbc live extra app or web site? The usually post the race very quickly after it airs for replay. Apple TV 3 just added an nbclive extra app as well to watch it on a big screen. It works very well, and no hassle with trying to set up a recording.

When I had cable, I used an eyetv hd (with eyetv software) hooked to a cable box to timeshift, but it was a bit glitchy overall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not entirely on topic, but have you tried the nbc live extra app or web site? The usually post the race very quickly after it airs for replay. Apple TV 3 just added an nbclive extra app as well to watch it on a big screen. It works very well, and no hassle with trying to set up a recording.

When I had cable, I used an eyetv hd (with eyetv software) hooked to a cable box to timeshift, but it was a bit glitchy overall.
?

I've looked repeatedly in the app and webpage and have never seen where the races could be replayed?

Maybe I'm just brain damaged. Where did you find them?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
?

I've looked repeatedly in the app and webpage and have never seen where the races could be replayed?

Maybe I'm just brain damaged. Where did you find them?

Thanks,

Chris
I made two videos showing how to watch the F1 races using the web site & iOS apps:

Web Site:

iOS App:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made two videos showing how to watch the F1 races using the web site & iOS apps:
Now I feel stupid......

I had looked around repeatedly on the site unable to find the replays.

doh.

Thanks. That definitely reduces the need for the DVR.

Chris

·
Registered
15,285 Posts
If you still want a DVR, a Homerun Prime can do it all, and replace your FIOS box and/or DVR, saving you lots of money. No need for clunky blasters for changing the channel on a box. You can watch/record 3 channels simultaneously in full HD, get all your subscribed channels and a free guide and DVR. Use a traditional remote or a keyboard/mouse if you prefer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you still want a DVR, a Homerun Prime can do it all, and replace your FIOS box and/or DVR, saving you lots of money. No need for clunky blasters for changing the channel on a box. You can watch/record 3 channels simultaneously in full HD, get all your subscribed channels and a free guide and DVR. Use a traditional remote or a keyboard/mouse if you prefer.
That's pretty cool, but the words "record copy-freely streams" make me wonder how usable the recording capability would be.

I would think virtually every provider of content would make their streams no copy-freely.

Thanks I'll research this some more.

chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I feel stupid......

I had looked around repeatedly on the site unable to find the replays.

doh.

Thanks. That definitely reduces the need for the DVR.

Chris
Yay! Replaying the Spanish GP as we speak and Chromecasting to my TV!

Awesomeness.

Again, thanks so much!

chris

·
Registered
15,285 Posts
That's pretty cool, but the words "record copy-freely streams" make me wonder how usable the recording capability would be.

I would think virtually every provider of content would make their streams no copy-freely.

Thanks I'll research this some more.

chris
Hmm... not sure where you're getting your information. The whole point of cable card is that you can record all copy protected content, absolutely everything, just like a Tivo can do. That's what the cable card is designed to do, decrypt all copy protected content. I wouldn't be using it otherwise. Keep in mind only Windows Media Center has that capability at the moment. Myth and others are indeed limited to copy-free.

In any case, I guess you're all set simply streaming from the internet.

·
Registered
15,285 Posts
My cable provider is Verizon and according to innerweb chatter their cablecard support is problematic and they have marked a lot of their content so as to be non-record-able.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/verizon-fios-tv-cablecard-restrictions-copy-once/

Formula 1 has locked up their media rights as tight as a drum and I would be surprised if it's freely record-able.

Chris
Cable card records copy once just fine, always has. Thousands of Tivo and cable card users record EVERYTHING on Fios.

You're totally misinterpreting that 3 year old report anyway. It says, "Essentially that meant that you could record anything you wanted on your TiVo or Windows Media Center PC and copy those programs any which way you'd like". That means you can still record and watch them, but you can longer copy a SECOND time like you could before, which is the very definition of copy-once. That's the ability they say went away since they started using copy-once. I record copy-once material all the time. You can't copy such material on Verizon's boxes either.

This report is very misleading, and as we know now, 3 years later, totally wrong. Nearly everything on Fios is still copy freely except for premiums. And as always, you can still record premiums marked copy-once. You just can't copy the copy.

Ask a few WMC users on Fios to get the real story. Several hang out in the HTPC forum and at TheGreenButton. This is not an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts