AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is rather embarassing to admit to having every aspect of my home theater working except AM reception, but I'll suck it up and ask :D

I have a Koss armband walkman that receives AM fine in my home theater room (first floor, corner of house).

I have a Bose wave radio (gift) that receives AM fine in my home theater room (first floor, corner of house).

I have an older (~1990) JVC receiver one floor directly below in my basement that receives AM fine.

In fact, everything I own with an AM tuner works fine everywhere in my house, except...

my recently purchased Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver gets nothing, even with the provided antenna connected (virtually identical to the one provided with the JVC).

Is it possible I missing something here, or does it just suck for AM reception?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Install a fringe element antenna on your roof and run a RG6 line to a transformer baleen and wire that to your Yamaha. It will be crystal clear.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy
Install a fringe element antenna on your roof and run a RG6 line to a transformer baleen and wire that to your Yamaha. It will be crystal clear.
That's good for FM, but not AM. AM doesn't really benefit from shielding, and baluns don't work particularly well, as the frequencies are different.

For AM reception, use a single, long wire antenna; the longer and higher, the better. Also, you need a good ground, such as a cold water pipe, a driven ground rod, or even the electrical ground.

If your AM terminals are not labeled, use either one for either wire, but try it both ways; there may be a difference. If they're labeled 'ant' and 'gnd', or somesuch, then it's obvious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.