AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rack mount am/fm tuner in the basement with a roof mounted FM antenna.

Is there such a thing as a roof/distant mount AM antenna?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
yes. a google search for "outdoor AM antenna" should turn up something.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not really

·
Registered
824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco /forum/post/18296220

I have a rack mount am/fm tuner in the basement with a roof mounted FM antenna.

Is there such a thing as a roof/distant mount AM antenna?

You can see why the use of AM radio is declining. It can be very difficult to receive in homes as many stations have very modest radiated power. This is exacerbated by metal in home construction and AM susceptibility to spurious electrical interference.

If the loop antenna that comes with most tuners does not do the job, you might try a very long wire to outside of your house.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Yeah, I don’t know what the deal with AM is. I don’t have much problems picking up a good number of stations in the car, but not in the house. I’ve thought about just sticking a car antenna up in my attic. Anyone every tried that?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
610 Posts
I agree; very little luck with AM reception, but I have not tried very hard. Even when I could get a decent signal, the AQ though the system sounded so bad (as compared to everything else) I could not stand it. AQ for FM is not much better IMO. Just spoiled I guess since I started using all the new HD audio formats........

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
My home receiver got no AM reception, no matter how I placed the loop antenna. I added a Terk Tower AM/FM antenna and got three AM stations that I usually listen to (ESPN radio and two news stations), although none are stellar. ESPN comes in the best. FM comes in great, though, since adding the Terk.

My clock radio gets a little better, but it's on the second floor near a window. Car gets great reception on almost any AM station.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
An Example: if you were going to hang a "tuned" outdoor wire 1/2 wave dipole antenna cut for the middle of the AM band, it would be 580 feet long. The same dipole antenna cut for the FM band is 4.8 feet long. It is very easy to forget just how low in the radio frequency band AM truly is and how difficult it is to receive properly.

And rigging a "long wire" antenna outside your house is inviting "Mr. Lightning" into your home if it does not have access to a very good earth ground and a grounding disconnect switch.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have the Crane AM antenna and the difference I got was huge. It allows you to tune the station to get as good as it can be. It does take a bit of adjusting to find the best placement for it, but IMO it is worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts