AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to listen to Toronto Blue Jays (MLB) games online. I get lousy AM reception in my house, don't know why, and it's just inconvenient as hell to carry around a radio to every room in the house, especially when practically every room has a computer.

Unfortunately, I can't just go to the AM station's online stream because MLB's licensing agreements suck and prevent any of the stations from streaming the games. I can't even purchase MLB TV to solve the problem because they only let you hear "Out of market" games...and they consider the whole of Canada to be the Jay's market.

So the only solution I can think of is to get an AM tuner card for my computer. Problem is, I can't seem to find any. They all seem to be FM only (and come packaged with a TV tuner, to boot).

Does anyone know of a card that will allow for AM reception?

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
You could get an AM radio with aux out and connect it to the Line in of your soundcard.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Check if the Radio Shark will work for u.

P.S.: But what a tuner card is gonna do for u if yer problem is reception? Ugly1 is right. For AM reception, ccrane.com used to sell a funky AM antenna ppl swear by, I dun see it on their website anymore.

·
Registered
868 Posts
You probably just need a better antenna for you radio. Use a long enough random wire antenna and you'll pick up martians on it. Thats what I use on my shortwave and its great.

random wire

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16978938

Check if the Radio Shark will work for u.

P.S.: But what a tuner card is gonna do for u if yer problem is reception? Ugly1 is right. For AM reception, ccrane.com used to sell a funky AM antenna ppl swear by, I dun see it on their website anymore.

That Radio Shark looks very interesting, thank you.

I have an old computer at my parent's place where the reception is perfect, so I figured I'd put a card in there, and hook up some sort of server (possibly just RDC or LogMeIn) that I could tap into from anywhere else I want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBordello /forum/post/16979229

Actually, MLB only blacks out the video feed. You can get the audio stream for any team, even in your market.

I just re-read their Terms of Service, and they now specifically state:

"Live Audio of those games subject to the blackout restrictions reflected above is available as part of any MLB.TV subscription, as part of the MLB.com Gameday Audio Package or as part of MLB.com At Bat 2009."

It looks like you are correct.

I had contacted MLB.tv originally to specifically ask this question and received a verbatim copy of the ToS at the time, with no mention of audio streaming. Not sure if they've since changed the licensing, or if it's just lousy support... ?

I'm going to contact them again just to double check that it's the actual radio broadcast and not the audio from the tv broadcast. I don't know why anyone would want just the tv audio but it is an option mlb offers - I've actually watched games on mute while listening to the radio feed, it's THAT much better...

Anyways - thanks everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts