AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to post this config since these forums have helped me so much in the past.

I read from many people that DVD playback with LimitedSharpen + Lanczos Resize (or just one) gives them dropped frames every few seconds...enough to be thoroughly annoying while watching.

I used to use Media Player Classic + ffdshow for DVD playback. Since I got my 6600 GT I installed the PureVideo decoder. ffdshow only appears when it is decoding video so I couldn't get it to appear in Media Player Classic or NVDVD. I was pretty annoyed...kind of a downgrade after getting used to LimitedSharpen+Resize (even with the dropped frames).

I can't explain WHY this is so resource easy on me, but it's a remarkable setup (assuming you have a NVIDIA card with PureVideo)

P4 2.8GHz Northwood

ASUS P4C800E-DLX

1GB DDR OCZ Gold Series 2-2-2

BFG 6600GT OC AGP

ForceWare 91.31

FFDSHOW (ffdshow rev2546-20060508-SSE2-ICL9 celtic druid build)

LimitedSharpen: LimitedSharpen(ss_x=1.0,ss_y=1.0,Smode=3,strength=40)
Resize: Multiply by 2.000, Keep Original Aspect, Lanczos, Number of taps 2.00

Got All Media

VMR9

Preferred Hardware Deinterlacer: None

Tick ffdshow (best to manually choose your preset while the movie is playing)

Video Decoder: NVIDIA Video

Audio Decoder: NVIDIA Audio

PureVideo 1.02.233

Deinterlace Control: Smart

Deinterlace Mode: Best Available

I think you guys know the results of LimitedSharpen with a nice resizer so I hope you will test this setup if you have Got All Media or were looking for a way to use PureVideo and ffdshow at the same time. :eek:

What's happening in this scenario?

Jarrett

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if it works with ZP. I found ZP too complicated :p

That's where I originally saw the ffdshow+GAM combo and I did use it for Live TV too. You can do the same for avi files too in GAM, but I just go back to Media Player Classic + ffdshow...there's no frame drop for me

If there's a way to view frames dropped in ffdshow I'll try to post it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry bump, I need 5 posts so I can redirect someone to this thread who is having a similar problem.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
If you are using Purevideo for hardware acceleration, there is no FFDShow in the chain. With TT you could specify the use of the nVidia Post Processing module (or whatever it was called) to do software deinterlacing similar to the hardware variant.

Just curious but what kind of CPU usage are you seeing?

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
FFDshow can't be used with purevideo hw acceleration - it always shifts into software mode when ffdshow appears. Double click on the purevideo tray icon when playing video, it'll say software mode. Also, right-click ffdshow and turn on OSD, make sure it's actually doing the resize.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarretth
Oh I didn't see that little window. It says Software Mode YUY2

Here's a shot with the OSD...anything else I should check off in it?

http://rapidshare.de/files/26862168/...ssOSD.rar.html

That 45-50% CPU was in Got All Media doing ctrl alt del

So does inverse telecine take care of deinterlacing then? (removing the interlacing)
MPEG2 decoders like the PureVideo decoders do simple Bob and Weave deinterlacing in software mode as well. These modes are just not nearly as good as the hardware assisted ones. IVTC is also a hardware feature not being used in software mode.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think LimitedSharpen was working in those pics. It's just the resize. LimitedSharpen always crashes when I try to set YUY2 mode. I can't remember where I read it....didn't someone say LimitedSharpen only works in YV12?

Tough choice...Resize looks amazing, but it's a pain in the butt fiddling with picture properties. Using Hardware mode and IVTC the detail just isn't there, but it plays back smoother and the colours look correct/easier to tweak.

Well this has been an interesting learning experience :D

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
"What does number of taps do? "

causes ringing (like edge-enhancement) if set higher than two....

:cool:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Jimwhite :)

Whist jim is right ;), in simple terms the taps is the number of lobes it looks at whilst doing the resizing - think of it as how many rows/rings (neighbors) of pixels its looking at around the one that its resizing..

Cheers,

Bitey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.