AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note, I've not mentioned any actual prices in this post, just asking about pricing *policies* (e.g. price-matching)

I searched and searched, but couldn't find anything on Amazon.com's pricing policy on TV's. They call it their "TV Low Price Guarantee".

I'm wondering if anyone has submitted a claim under this policy, and if so what your experience was.

I'm ready to buy a new plasma (probably the Samsung pn58c7000) and it is available for much less than what Amazon is asking, from a couple of other seemingly solid online vendors.

I'd kind of prefer to order from Amazon... can't really explain why, I guess it's just because they are such a huge vendor I feel more confident that the product will arrive in a timely manner and that I'd have recourse if there was any problem. In theory the other site would do the same, but I have no experience with them... just going off the ratings on google shopping.

Any experience here? Any advice/opinions? Thanks!

Here's the text of their policy:
Quote:
TV Low Price Guarantee

How the TV Low Price Guarantee Works

If you find a lower price on an eligible website for the same product within 14 days after we ship your television, let us know and we'll credit your original payment method for the difference. If we lower our own price within 14 days after we ship your television, let us know and we'll refund you the difference as well.

You can request your refund through the "Found a lower price" link in your Order Summary page which can be found under Your Account. If you have questions or concerns, use the "Contact Us" button on the right side of any Help page to contact Customer Service.

Terms and Conditions:

The TV Low Price Guarantee (the "Guarantee") applies only to TVs sold and fulfilled by Amazon.com. If you purchase your TV from another retailer (including third-party sellers on the Amazon.com site), the Guarantee does not apply.

To qualify for the Guarantee, you must first purchase the television from Amazon.com and find a lower price from Amazon.com or on an eligible competitor's website within 14 days after the Amazon.com ship date. The lower price must remain in effect at the time your Guarantee request is verified by Amazon. Expired offers are not eligible. The Amazon.com price is the price after any rebates, gift certificates, and promotional discounts have been applied to the item. Applicable shipping and handling costs will be included in the price comparison.

Competitors' special promotions such as rebates, gift certificates, bundled products and "buy one, get one" offers are not eligible for the Guarantee. Time-limited sales events (such as Black Friday, "early bird" or "door buster" offers ), offers advertised as limited in time or quantity, clearance, liquidation and going-out-of business sales, and loyalty program offers are also ineligible for the Guarantee.

Price difference applies to full cost of the item minus any promotions, and does not include tax.

The Guarantee applies to the price payable for TVs only. Offers for or including ancillary services (such as financing, installation, or extended warranties) are not covered by the Guarantee.

The competing offer must be currently available in the model, color, and style that is sold by Amazon.com and the competing offer must be in-stock and available for purchase on the competitor's website, in new, unopened condition. Used, returned, open-box and display items are not eligible.

The Guarantee does not apply where the competitor or Amazon.com has made a pricing error or typographical error on an item.

The Guarantee applies to websites only, not brick-and-mortar stores. The website featuring the competing offer must not be an auction site. The competing website must be operated by a U.S. company and must ship products from a U.S. location. A list of websites whose offers generally qualify for the Guarantee is available here. The applicability of the Guarantee to other websites will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Only one unit purchased of an item per customer is eligible for the Guarantee (that is, multiple claims on the same item will not be eligible, regardless of the quantity ordered), and the guarantee can only be applied once per item, even if a lower-priced offer is subsequently found.

The Guarantee only applies to purchases for personal use. The Guarantee does not apply to purchases for resale or commercial purposes.

If your claim satisfies all of these terms and conditions, we will refund the price difference between our price and the competing offer through the original payment method(s) used for the TV purchase.

We reserve the right to deny claims or to modify these terms at time if the Guarantee is being abused.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica watch /forum/post/19612418

Vistae is not secure?

SPAM....

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have not got a claim through but did call them on a few items here's the deal as it was repeated.

Any TV sold by them with the low price guarantee they will try to price match but here's the catch I ran into "Well yes it's a lower price but they charge tax which when added in would make their price higher" and "Yes it's the same price, there is no tax but their shipping is just to the door, ours brings it inside and unpacks the tv".

Now is this true or did I get Customer Reps who didn't want to do their job I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, Briant.

I used to work in Erie... at the Shriner's hospital motion lab (I was living in Buffalo). Nice town. I'm in northern Cal, now.

Well I was on the phone with them this morning. They said they could not match in this case. I couldn't get much more detail than that.

Literally, the answer (after a lot of waiting while he "researched" it) was " in this case, you will be limited to the list of vendors on our low-price guarantee page."

I'm working on OneCall now, but they're not coming down much, either.

Geeze, everybody seems to want a profit! What gives?!?!?!

(sarcasm)

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The voice of experience: When you buy anything large or small fro Amazon that claims "Free Shipping", it's probably true. However the Free Shipping is typically NOT the default shipping selection - you must overide the default and select the Free Shipping option.

They probably make lots of money doing that. I have asked for and received a credit when this happened to me - and as long as the item is still in transit, you will usually get that credit. But once delivery is made, the order gets closed.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gary,

Yes, I've noticed that the free super-saver option is not the default. I've never missed selecting it so far, but it does seem odd that they would do that. Sneaky....

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Onecall came down a whopping $50.
the price difference is way way more than that. Granted, the other vendor is (probably) not including the bundle package (2 glasses, shrek box set + brd player). The closest they would come for the tv only was $160 over the low-price offer. Maybe worth it for piece of mind.

Or maybe I'll just roll the dice and give the low price vendor a shot. Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran /forum/post/19614877

Gary,

Yes, I've noticed that the free super-saver option is not the default. I've never missed selecting it so far, but it does seem odd that they would do that. Sneaky....

Not sneaky - they specifically tell you to go into the Shipping menu and choose Free Super Saver shipping so if you miss that little warning, then it's your own fault if you get charged shipping. I get Free SSS on virtually everything i buy from them.

·
Registered
674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19615656

Not sneaky - they specifically tell you to go into the Shipping menu and choose Free Super Saver shipping so if you miss that little warning, then it's your own fault if you get charged shipping. I get Free SSS on virtually everything i buy from them.

I would like to say I tried that many times when ordering my display and it never worked, So I talked to Customer Service and placed the order and they had to refund me the charges. YMMV

·
Registered
570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/19614865

The voice of experience: When you buy anything large or small fro Amazon that claims "Free Shipping", it's probably true. However the Free Shipping is typically NOT the default shipping selection - you must overide the default and select the Free Shipping option.

They probably make lots of money doing that. I have asked for and received a credit when this happened to me - and as long as the item is still in transit, you will usually get that credit. But once delivery is made, the order gets closed.

Very true that you need to choose free shipping for most items but if I remember correctly, that was not the case for my TV which was sent via freight. The checkout screen went directly to set up a delivery appointment--which was free.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran /forum/post/19614914

the price difference is way way more than that. Granted, the other vendor is (probably) not including the bundle package (2 glasses, shrek box set + brd player). The closest they would come for the tv only was $160 over the low-price offer. Maybe worth it for piece of mind.

A couple other good things about Amazon. Check the bad pixel policy of other vendors before you buy. New Egg, when I was looking at a 37" LCD as a PC monitor in the fine print specified the Mft's number had to be met before a return was allowed, Amazon doesn't state a policy (as of 12/08) so that I felt comfortable that I could return it for any reason within the 30 day window. I have never had them question a return. Finally, Amazon changes their prices frequently (up or down) apparently based upon what other sellers are doing.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 /forum/post/19614553

I have not got a claim through but did call them on a few items here's the deal as it was repeated.

Any TV sold by them with the low price guarantee they will try to price match but here's the catch I ran into "Well yes it's a lower price but they charge tax which when added in would make their price higher" and "Yes it's the same price, there is no tax but their shipping is just to the door, ours brings it inside and unpacks the tv".

Now is this true or did I get Customer Reps who didn't want to do their job I have no idea.

Sales tax should never come up because as a buyer you are supposed to remit the sales tax to your state if you didnt pay it when you purchased it.

So if you were 100% honest and paid the tax, it did cost you more on amazon and they should have price matched. Next time tell them that you remitted the sales tax to your state as you are suppose to. (I don't even do it but I know I am supposed to)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa89
Sales tax should never come up because as a buyer you are supposed to remit the sales tax to your state if you didnt pay it when you purchased it.

So if you were 100% honest and paid the tax, it did cost you more on amazon and they should have price matched. Next time tell them that you remitted the sales tax to your state as you are suppose to. (I don't even do it but I know I am supposed to)
I didn't actually buy the set I talked to them about price matching so no sales tax to pay but I do see your point. I just relayed my experience with their price matching and let's just say in my experience they are looking for any difference to not do it.

Now on the other hand I do enjoy the fact when I pre order a Blu Ray they do refund the difference if the item goes down in price from the time I pre-order till it ships.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran /forum/post/19614914

Who is the source or sources with the cheap pricing?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 /forum/post/19619779

Who is the source or sources with the cheap pricing?

Well I'm trying to not get this thread locked, so I've purposefully not mentioned them, or the price. If you search with google shopping though, you'll find them. They have a 4.5/5 star rating with >800 reviews. Based in NJ, they ship anywhere in the 48 for free.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran /forum/post/19619837

Well I'm trying to not get this thread locked, so I've purposefully not mentioned them, or the price. If you search with google shopping though, you'll find them. They have a 4.5/5 star rating with >800 reviews. Based in NJ, they ship anywhere in the 48 for free.

Have you checked out resellers.com for the store ratings? Not sure why mentioning the stores would be a violation as you have already mentioned Amazon and One Call. The one store I found that had a cheaper price out of New Jersey has a very mediocre rating and operates under at least two different names. That could be the reason Amazon and One Call won't match.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I like ordering things from amazon, just not big ticket items. I have read a lot of instances were returning something big was a pain in the butt. You have to keep the packaging to return things. I would reather try to go local to make returns and warranty work easier.

The only thing I hate about amazon's policies is that if something happens in route, where you don't recieve the package and have to re-order. They don't honor that price unless it is still listed. They try to credit you right away and have you re-order at the higher price. I have fought with them about this twice.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 /forum/post/19614553

"Yes it's the same price, there is no tax but their shipping is just to the door, ours brings it inside and unpacks the tv".

That's fair; so, if you want to match, get the other vendor's fee for upgrading to 'inside delivery' (to room of your choice); and then see how the prices compare. If the other vendor didn't offer inside delivery, then you'd be out of luck. (I see someone else replied about the sales tax.)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3
Have you checked out resellers.com for the store ratings? Not sure why mentioning the stores would be a violation as you have already mentioned Amazon and One Call. The one store I found that had a cheaper price out of New Jersey has a very mediocre rating and operates under at least two different names. That could be the reason Amazon and One Call won't match.
Dunno why I thought mentioning the store would be bad. Just did.

Yes I've read the reviews on resellers.com, pricegrabber, and epinions.com. The reviews average 4.5 out of 5 stars. Too many (846 or so according to google) to read them all. But yes a couple of the negative reviews have me worried.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.