AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked one up yesterday to replace an Apple TV 4k due to inconsistent Amazon Prime Atmos/HDR support. Absolutely loving it so far. I get consistent and accurate HDR10/Dolby Vision/Atmos support on Amazon titles AND Netflix (including Atmos support on Netflix). It is super fast and responsive. Cost $50 less than the Apple TV 4k. The Refresh Rate Match setting is very nice (currently seems like only Amazon titles are supporting it).

I did a quick search and didn't find an owners thread. Is it just too new, do people mostly go for the Fire TV Stick, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Just picked one up yesterday to replace an Apple TV 4k due to inconsistent Amazon Prime Atmos/HDR support. Absolutely loving it so far. I get consistent and accurate HDR10/Dolby Vision/Atmos support on Amazon titles AND Netflix (including Atmos support on Netflix). It is super fast and responsive. Cost $50 less than the Apple TV 4k. The Refresh Rate Match setting is very nice (currently seems like only Amazon titles are supporting it).

I did a quick search and didn't find an owners thread. Is it just too new, do people mostly go for the Fire TV Stick, or am I missing something?
Oh man yeah I love this thing. It's so fast to do anything. AT&T TV Now looks absolutely incredible through it. Very glad I pre-ordered one. I'm glad there is an owners thread now too.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I tried the Fire TV Stick and then the 1st Gen Cube. The 2nd Gen Cube is much faster as far as menu navigation and the like. I was getting decent "live tv" image quality with ATT TV Now, but I dropped it for Youtube TV. Image seemed about the same until last night when for some reason it seemed like the resolution became clearly and convincingly better. Not sure what was going on.

The heavily frequented threads in this forum section are for Apple TV, Nvidia, Roku, and even Dune(?). I suppose users are interested in more than "cable replacement" streaming. I simply need to be able to watch "live tv", Prime, Netflix, ESPN+, and a few other apps. If there's a better alternative, then I didn't come across it.

Reactions: meles

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I tried the Fire TV Stick and then the 1st Gen Cube. The 2nd Gen Cube is much faster as far as menu navigation and the like. I was getting decent "live tv" image quality with ATT TV Now, but I dropped it for Youtube TV. Image seemed about the same until last night when for some reason it seemed like the resolution became clearly and convincingly better. Not sure what was going on.

The heavily frequented threads in this forum section are for Apple TV, Nvidia, Roku, and even Dune(?). I suppose users are interested in more than "cable replacement" streaming. I simply need to be able to watch "live tv", Prime, Netflix, ESPN+, and a few other apps. If there's a better alternative, then I didn't come across it.
I want to go YouTube TV from AT&T TV Now but they don't have 5.1 sound right? As soon as they go to 5.1 sound for Live TV I'm in.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Same. I just wanted the best player that will handle HDR and Dolby Atmos for the main streaming channels (Netflix and Amazon) without issue or sacrifice. ATV almost had it but Amazon Prime HDR titles were hit and miss (for instance, Jack Ryan is Dolby Vision but Prime on ATV would only ever show it as HDR10). ATV had the leg-up as they were one of the few that supported Atmos on Netflix.

However, with the 2nd Gen Fire Cube now supporting Atmos on Netflix and having the right/native HDR support of their own prime titles....it's a no brainer for me!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don't stream in my home theater, so I only need a proper disc spinner with dual-hdmi outputs.

As for my TV den, well, I still have my trusty Panny VT60. I'll become curious about UltraHD panel displays at some point.

I never gave that any thought to surround sound with respect to YouTube TV. I watch little "live television"- some cable news and sports.

Reactions: Hetfieldjames

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I don't stream in my home theater, so I only need a proper disc spinner with dual-hdmi outputs.

As for my TV den, well, I still have my trusty Panny VT60. I'll become curious about UltraHD panel displays at some point.

I never gave that any thought to surround sound with respect to YouTube TV. I watch little "live television"- some cable news and sports.
Thanks, I may switch anyway. There are 2 channels I'd miss from ATT TV Now but 2 I'd gain going to YTTV that I really like.

·
Registered
262 Posts
is the AT&T TV Now a native app on this cube? I may be switching from ATT TV Now to Fubo TV which for me has a better channel lineup than YTTV, but that is irrelevant here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I have a question about the 2nd Gen Fire TV Cube.

On my 1st Gen Fire TV Cube there was an odd issue where Amazon took all the audio (including PCM stereo) and put it into a 5.1 wrapper. This obviously didn't effect any of the Dolby Digital audio, but it prevented my A/V receiver from recognizing the PCM audio and thus did allow for Dolby Pro Logic II or any other post processing to kick in. So when I watched an episode of Cheers or Star Trek the audio only came from my 2 front speakers as opposed to the Pro Logic II 5.1.

Does anyone know if this issue has been rectified in the new Cube? It seems like a great device, but this is a deal breaker if it's still happening.

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
Does the Netflix app on the 2nd Gen Cube output native 24 fps 4k HDR material or is that app still borked?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have had this for a couple weeks. Subscribed to Patriots Steamz TV to try, before cutting the cord. Have lip scync issues. Anyone know of a fix for this?

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
I'm looking for information about the playback capabilities of the Plex app on the new Fire Cube. I would be primarily interested in using the Cube with the Plex app to stream local media from my Plex server. My only requirement is that it will direct-play BD rips -- both video and audio -- without requiring the Plex server to transcode the source. I want the original, as-ripped quality. I don't care about anything 4K.

So:
1. Will the Plex app on the Cube direct-play 1080p source (i.e. BD rip) or will it force the Plex server to transcode.
2. Will the Plex app on the Cube bit-stream True-HD and DTS-HD to my AVR or will it force the Plex server to transcode.

The Plex app on the nVidia Shield will do both of these things, but for a number of reasons the fire Cube is more attractive to me. If it can direct-play BD rips through Plex, I will buy it.

thanks in advance
- K

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was experiencing audio dropouts on my firetv 2 while watching prime. So I upgraded to the cube 2nd generation. No more audio dropouts. Very fast navigation. Don’t use Alexa. I’m happy with this upgrade.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also don't use Alexa at all (Mic always kept muted). But this thing is my go to recommendation for a 4k/HDR streamer at the moment. Fantastic UI, especially if you have Prime service. And it supports all of the major streaming services ar both Dolby Vision and Atmos (something the Apple TV had cornered basically until now). All for $120. It is rock solid.

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
I also don't use Alexa at all (Mic always kept muted). But this thing is my go to recommendation for a 4k/HDR streamer at the moment. Fantastic UI, especially if you have Prime service. And it supports all of the major streaming services ar both Dolby Vision and Atmos (something the Apple TV had cornered basically until now). All for $120. It is rock solid.
But is the Netflix app included capable of native 24 fps output or is it one of those non updated apps that forces 60 fps conversion for everything?

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But is the Netflix app included capable of native 24 fps output or is it one of those non updated apps that forces 60 fps conversion for everything?

At the moment I don't think so. From what I've read, support for Auto Framerate Matching hinges on Netflix updating support on their end for the Fire TV, so we'll see. But for some reason I have never been one to notice issues between 24fps vs. 60fps, at least not since having my Sony X940e TV.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm looking for information about the playback capabilities of the Plex app on the new Fire Cube. I would be primarily interested in using the Cube with the Plex app to stream local media from my Plex server. My only requirement is that it will direct-play BD rips -- both video and audio -- without requiring the Plex server to transcode the source. I want the original, as-ripped quality. I don't care about anything 4K.

So:
1. Will the Plex app on the Cube direct-play 1080p source (i.e. BD rip) or will it force the Plex server to transcode.
2. Will the Plex app on the Cube bit-stream True-HD and DTS-HD to my AVR or will it force the Plex server to transcode.

The Plex app on the nVidia Shield will do both of these things, but for a number of reasons the fire Cube is more attractive to me. If it can direct-play BD rips through Plex, I will buy it.

thanks in advance
- K
According to the specs here, yes it will direct play 2k & 4k, No on direct play True-HD and DTS-MA HD:

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications-fire-tv-cube.html

1 - 20 of 189 Posts