AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
YouTube is finally outputting correctly in HDR on the Fire TV Stick 4K. Can anyone confirm if the Cube is fixed as well? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I'm downloading a new FireOS version 7.2.1.6 (PS7216/1582) but I'm not a YouTube user.

Edit: After the reboot my video resolution changed to 1080p so I reset to Auto 4K. Other settings did not change.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Well I'm downloading a new FireOS version 7.2.1.6 (PS7216/1582) but I'm not a YouTube user.

Edit: After the reboot my video resolution changed to 1080p so I reset to Auto 4K. Other settings did not change.
After every power cycle to my cube it defaults to 1080p and I need to go into settings and change back to 4K also. It's either a glitch or something the cube is programmed to do.
Amazon also makes finding their 4K programs on Amazon Prime rather difficult. It's almost as if they want to limit 4K programming being sent.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had this Cube since January, and I just realized how terribly it upscales 1080p and lower content. I recently bought the Sony X900H TV and compared it's built in apps to those of the Fire TV Cube, and the videos from Cube's apps are noticeably more processed. It's most apparent when I watch the ESPN app and standard-def content from Disney+. I also notice the difference if I pixel peep in Youtube as well. Basically, the image looks like you are turning on noise reduction or edge enhancement all the way up. Before you ask, yes, my settings are consistent across all of my TV's inputs, and the Cube is set to Auto at 4K60Hz. I watched an episode of the 90s Spider-man cartoon on Disney+, and while on the Sony TV app it looked as it should with perfect clarity, the Fire TV Cube's version had a much more processed image with less detail, kinda like you smothered Vaseline over the entire screen.

I actually love everything about the Cube and would like to keep using it, but now that I've seen the difference in picture quality, I can't unsee it :(
This is because of the Amlogic's SuperScaler technology. If you can connect to FireTV via ssh, execute this command:
echo 0 > /sys/module/amvideo/parameters/super_scaler

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Side load it, works just fine. It just says HBO but it's HBO Max.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Yes. My issue is getting my existing HBO subscription to convert. I had an old HBOgo account tied to my Sat account that won't let me upgrade (two HBO accounts with one email is a nono). My Amazon subscription is my workaround.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm using my Cube into a Denon 3700 via HDMI to my Sony KDS-R70XBR2 tv and my Sony VPL-VW80 projector (both 1080p).

Is there any benefit at all to the Frame Rate Matching if I'm going through the AVR?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Anyone here know if Showtime Anytime has 5.1 audio on the new Fire Cube? It does not on FireTV 4k stick. Seems Roku is the only device that has 5.1.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Anyone here know if Showtime Anytime has 5.1 audio on the new Fire Cube? It does not on FireTV 4k stick. Seems Roku is the only device that has 5.1.
Anyone that can test this, please? I don't want to buy the device only to find out it doesn't work. Thank you:)

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Anyone else experience this? Disney+ the other day lost HDR/Dolby Vision. I could go to the HDR movies section but no Dolby Vision or HDR. I then restarted the Cube and it was back. Very strange thing. I'm assuming HDMI handshake issue.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Hello, does the Cube play HDR in YouTube properly now? I know the Stick does so was just curious. Also the Stick doesn’t play Netflix in Atmos or Atmos on Apple TV+. Does it play those in Atmos on the Cube? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Hello, does the Cube play HDR in YouTube properly now? I know the Stick does so was just curious. Also the Stick doesn’t play Netflix in Atmos or Atmos on Apple TV+. Does it play those in Atmos on the Cube? Thanks everyone!

My Cube plays HDR from YouTube. That came back I want to say a month or so ago. Glad to have it back though.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts

Edit: I am NOW seeing Atmos on Netflix or Disney+ .

·
Registered
10 Posts
What do you mean?
I have DD+ with Atmos from all these sources:
  • Amazon Prime Video
  • Netflix
  • Disney+
(And some Blurays with either real Dolby Atmos DTHD or DTS:X MA)

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
What do you mean?
I have DD+ with Atmos from all these sources:
  • Amazon Prime Video
  • Netflix
  • Disney+
(And some Blurays with either real Dolby Atmos DTHD or DTS:X MA)
Thanks for the info, I was forcing DD+ under Audio. When I changed to best available ATMOS came up when appropriate.

181 - 200 of 205 Posts