AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I am thinking of upgrading from my FireStick4K to Cube 2nd gen.

• is there a noticeable speed increase?
  • does Kodi still allow decoding TrueHd/DtsHD to LPCM and pass to AVR?
  • are there any Amazon Music users ? I signed up for 3 month free trial. Can I play music from voice commands alone and it turns on Fire Cube and the receiver without turning on tv?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did the exact same upgrade.
For everything else except Kodi, it was a visible improvement in speed (but nothing else, the 4K Stick is a really good device), since it has more RAM and 6 cores instead of 4.

For Kodi, some of the videos I had as Demos (on my network hard drive) not just the high bitrate ones, started to play awfully, choppy etc., had to change / test some settings in the audio panel for Kodi, still not fully pleased, had absolutely no problems with the Stick here so I was thinking it will be fixed in a Firmware-Update for the Cube (well I have to say it wasn't), still waiting.
Yes, the Decoding to LPCM works, but as I already wrote some files/ formats had issues.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I did the exact same upgrade.
For everything else except Kodi, it was a visible improvement in speed (but nothing else, the 4K Stick is a really good device), since it has more RAM and 6 cores instead of 4.

For Kodi, some of the videos I had as Demos (on my network hard drive) not just the high bitrate ones, started to play awfully, choppy etc., had to change / test some settings in the audio panel for Kodi, still not fully pleased, had absolutely no problems with the Stick here so I was thinking it will be fixed in a Firmware-Update for the Cube (well I have to say it wasn't), still waiting.
Yes, the Decoding to LPCM works, but as I already wrote some files/ formats had issues.
Thanks! Can you comment on the voice control, how well does it work, does it work in Kodi?
Also did you try the frisch builds - he's one of the main Kodi devs and added some fixes for Fire devices - https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/kodi-20201001-5c717b66-fritschfiretv-armeabi-v7a.apk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will try the Fritsch build this weekend.
Thank you!

The voice recognition was / is still really bad, seems to have improved since I bought the device (it receives updates quite often). Funny story: once, my son's Echo Dot 2 got my wake command even if it was far away (down the hall, left in his room, so a total of 5m or more) but the Fire TV Cube 2019 totally ignored it.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I will try the Fritsch build this weekend.
Thank you!

The voice recognition was / is still really bad, seems to have improved since I bought the device (it receives updates quite often). Funny story: once, my son's Echo Dot 2 got my wake command even if it was far away (down the hall, left in his room, so a total of 5m or more) but the Fire TV Cube 2019 totally ignored it.
Thats quite disappointing to hear. I mean the Cube is advertised as having far field voice recognition + 8 mics, you'd think it'd be much better. And I also wonder how well this works with multiple Alexa devices.

I also don't know how well an Echo Dot combines with FireStick - is it the same in effect as a FireCube? What I want is to be able to say voice commands to open/play/control apps.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Is it bad that Stereo and Dolby Digital are converted to Dolby Digital Plus? I usuay like to have stuff playback natively but I'm ok with it if there are no side effects. Atmos outputs correctly though when it's supposed to. Also, why the the FireTV the only device to not support Atmos with the Apple TV app? :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Is it bad that Stereo and Dolby Digital are converted to Dolby Digital Plus? I usuay like to have stuff playback natively but I'm ok with it if there are no side effects. Atmos outputs correctly though when it's supposed to. Also, why the the FireTV the only device to not support Atmos with the Apple TV app? :(

See my reply of the Stick thread: set to best available if you want Atmos on Netflix etc. I never tried AppleTV on my Fire streamers.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
FYI: Big sale on Fire devices at Amazon today:

The Cube is only $79.99 right now.

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
1,929 Posts
Is anyone getting 10 or 12 bit output to work for this thing?

I have mine plugged into my LG CX and no matter what I set the display settings to in the Cube the CX is reporting either a RGB 8 bit ITU709 signal or a YCBCR 4:4:4 8 bit ITU709 signal for Dolby Vision content and regular HDR content it just reports 8 bit future.

Shouldn’t HDR content be 10 bit and DV content be 12 bit?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

I have mine plugged into my LG CX and no matter what I set the display settings to in the Cube the CX is reporting either a RGB 8 bit ITU709 signal or a YCBCR 4:4:4 8 bit ITU709 signal for Dolby Vision content and regular HDR content it just reports 8 bit future.

Do you have the right HDMI cable?

·
Registered
22,270 Posts
Hi Matt,

I have exactly the same issue you have. I have a Sony TV (2018) and a Denon Receiver (2017\2018).

I was wondering did you get a replacement yet and if so did it fix the issue?

Sincerely.

Mark
I was actually just coming to post this same issue. I, however, do not have a Denon but instead am using an Arcam AVR390. Same thing happens. If I restart the Cube then color is normal (not BT.2020). But if the Cube goes to sleep or I play an HDR show that uses BT.2020, the Cube stays outputting BT.2020 no matter what content I watch until I restart it.

It's not a huge issue for me, but it does make skin tones a little neonish.
I’m kind of glad it’s not just a Denon thing, as perhaps they’ll address it a little more quickly if it’s more widespread. That said, the Cube took an update yesterday, but unfortunately the problem remains.

So it looks like this issue is being ignored by Amazon?
Just got a new Cube and its doing this. A deal breaker for me and its going back unless it gets resolved. Anyone know of a fix?

·
Registered
124 Posts

It is OK: Dolby Vision is YCbCr 4:2:2 or ICtCp tunneled in 8-bit RGB signal

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Seeing some weird behavior with BT headphones. Playback is ~2x faster than normal with no audio. A reboot of the cube will fix it, but only temporarily. I see this primarily on Prime Video shows. Unit is connected to a Sony XBR70X850B SDR UHD display. Anyone else seeing this or have any suggestions? I got the Cube because the 4K Firesticks don't have enough storage for all the apps we use, and I am sick of having to reload apps and login again.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
So it looks like this issue is being ignored by Amazon?
Just got a new Cube and its doing this. A deal breaker for me and its going back unless it gets resolved. Anyone know of a fix?
I checked this issue out as well. For me it only does it when I’m connected through my Vizio sound bar. It only happens when I unplug and plug the cable back in. It didn’t stay on after playing BT.2020 content and didn’t stay on after putting it to sleep. Maybe all sound bars/avr setups are different with how the bug happens. I saw no problems at all when going straight to my TV (which is how I normally have it setup).

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I subscribe to HBO via Prime Video channels so AT&T making peace with Amazon is nice. Now I can log into HBOMax on all my streamers AppleTV4K, Shield, Sony GoogleTV and my FireTV devices with my "Prime Video Channel Account". On my Roku it is downgraded to simple HBO for now.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I downloaded the HBO Max app yesterday.

I can't figure out how to exit the app.

No matter how many times you hit "back," it doesn't close and return to the main home screen.

I put the Cube to sleep, then woke it up, and I was back on the main home screen, but I'd rather know how to actually quit the app.

I Googled it, and people were talking about it with no solutions (except people with a Shield remote, which I don't have).

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I downloaded the HBO Max app yesterday.

I can't figure out how to exit the app.

No matter how many times you hit "back," it doesn't close and return to the main home screen.

I put the Cube to sleep, then woke it up, and I was back on the main home screen, but I'd rather know how to actually quit the app.

I Googled it, and people were talking about it with no solutions (except people with a Shield remote, which I don't have).
I exit all apps on FireTV devices by pressing the Home button. Didn't realize you could "back" your way out of them.

201 - 220 of 247 Posts