AVS Forum banner

201 - 205 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I am thinking of upgrading from my FireStick4K to Cube 2nd gen.

• is there a noticeable speed increase?
  • does Kodi still allow decoding TrueHd/DtsHD to LPCM and pass to AVR?
  • are there any Amazon Music users ? I signed up for 3 month free trial. Can I play music from voice commands alone and it turns on Fire Cube and the receiver without turning on tv?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the exact same upgrade.
For everything else except Kodi, it was a visible improvement in speed (but nothing else, the 4K Stick is a really good device), since it has more RAM and 6 cores instead of 4.

For Kodi, some of the videos I had as Demos (on my network hard drive) not just the high bitrate ones, started to play awfully, choppy etc., had to change / test some settings in the audio panel for Kodi, still not fully pleased, had absolutely no problems with the Stick here so I was thinking it will be fixed in a Firmware-Update for the Cube (well I have to say it wasn't), still waiting.
Yes, the Decoding to LPCM works, but as I already wrote some files/ formats had issues.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I did the exact same upgrade.
For everything else except Kodi, it was a visible improvement in speed (but nothing else, the 4K Stick is a really good device), since it has more RAM and 6 cores instead of 4.

For Kodi, some of the videos I had as Demos (on my network hard drive) not just the high bitrate ones, started to play awfully, choppy etc., had to change / test some settings in the audio panel for Kodi, still not fully pleased, had absolutely no problems with the Stick here so I was thinking it will be fixed in a Firmware-Update for the Cube (well I have to say it wasn't), still waiting.
Yes, the Decoding to LPCM works, but as I already wrote some files/ formats had issues.
Thanks! Can you comment on the voice control, how well does it work, does it work in Kodi?
Also did you try the frisch builds - he's one of the main Kodi devs and added some fixes for Fire devices - https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/kodi-20201001-5c717b66-fritschfiretv-armeabi-v7a.apk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will try the Fritsch build this weekend.
Thank you!

The voice recognition was / is still really bad, seems to have improved since I bought the device (it receives updates quite often). Funny story: once, my son's Echo Dot 2 got my wake command even if it was far away (down the hall, left in his room, so a total of 5m or more) but the Fire TV Cube 2019 totally ignored it.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I will try the Fritsch build this weekend.
Thank you!

The voice recognition was / is still really bad, seems to have improved since I bought the device (it receives updates quite often). Funny story: once, my son's Echo Dot 2 got my wake command even if it was far away (down the hall, left in his room, so a total of 5m or more) but the Fire TV Cube 2019 totally ignored it.
Thats quite disappointing to hear. I mean the Cube is advertised as having far field voice recognition + 8 mics, you'd think it'd be much better. And I also wonder how well this works with multiple Alexa devices.

I also don't know how well an Echo Dot combines with FireStick - is it the same in effect as a FireCube? What I want is to be able to say voice commands to open/play/control apps.

201 - 205 of 205 Posts