AVS Forum banner

301 - 306 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Greetings to the forum. I am a new member here with my first new TV in 13 years, but I have been using the Fire TV Cube Gen for about a year with the old TV.

Since the new TV can process Dolby, even though I only use the built in audio in the TV, as TVs go, this TV has really good audio (Sony Bravia 77" OLED),

The problem I have is that anything I watch from the Fire TV cube is showing up as "Dolby Audio DD+" when I use the "Display" button on the TV remote.

For example, if I play Stargate SG1 (originally in mono) on the Netflix app built into the TV, the display does not show any audio encoding. If I then start the same program on Netflix from the fire TV, it shows Dolby Audio DD+ in the Best Available or Dolby Plus modes and Dolby Audio DD in the Dobly mode.

Is this normal? If so, does the TV processor really know if the source is not really Dolby and not process it that way.

It seems to be odd, but the reason I think it is an issue was because I was watching some recorded TV and I had trouble hearing the dialog.

Thanks, and I apologize for being really over my head here and if this has already been covered. Everything else seems to be working fine (TV switches between 1080 and 4K when using Amazon +) and all other functions work great.

Ed
You want the Audio set to best available on the Cube. I checked Episode 1: on my Cube it is shown as DD+ and on my Roku as Stereo. Having said that I would recommend following the FireTV4K Stick thread since the devices are very similar and more people own the Stick. I bought the Cube because it supported Dolby Vision on Netflix but I rarely use it now that Roku does Dolby Vision with the current Ultra.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you. I have been running best available but it seems as if the setting is redundant with the Dolby Plus setting which basically says that it also does other modes. I don't have a separate AV receiver and maybe it is important there, but otherwise, I just don't see why it needs all of the different modes if the Best Available does everything that the others do.

Anyway, thanks for your help! Appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Thank you. I have been running best available but it seems as if the setting is redundant with the Dolby Plus setting which basically says that it also does other modes. I don't have a separate AV receiver and maybe it is important there, but otherwise, I just don't see why it needs all of the different modes if the Best Available does everything that the others do.

Anyway, thanks for your help! Appreciate it.
Best available is necessary to get Dolby Atmos (which is normally a part of DD+) when available on the FireTV programs. Your comments are correct, Amazon makes it more complicated that necessary.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Has anybody on here gotten the new UI yet?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Yes, I got two Cubes, one updated three weeks ago and the other this week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine has actually updated twice. After the first update, when using the Amazon Recast DVR, the navigation circle would no longer skip or fast forward/reverse recordings. One had to use the dedicated << and >> buttons, which was a pain. A few days later, it started working again on the navigation circle, so I assume that they patched it.

Also, "DVR" was removed from the priority bar (which is now below the preview window) and now to get to it, you have to use the "Find" button, then go to the "Library" to find your scheduled recordings. Overall, I hate that the did that and am somewhat ambivalent to the other changes. I was not of the opinion that the old interface was really bad, and in my own opinion, moving the DVR to the Library was a step back.

The Recast settings are now longer with the Fire TV Cube settings and now appear in the Library view.

I really love the Recast. It is a great over the air tuner (I have the four tuner model). It seemed "integrated" before and now it seems less so.

301 - 306 of 306 Posts