AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Amazon Adds a New OTA Feature to Fire TV Cube
by Tmera Hepburn - Cord Cutters News - July 9, 2020

Amazon has added a new tuner integration feature to its Fire TV Cube that allows viewers to tune into OTA TV. Viewers in select countries, including the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Germany and France, can access over-the-air channels and even use Alexa as a voice remote.

Watch over the air content will require customers to attach a separate OTA tuner.

How to set up your Fire TV Cube OTA Tuner

• Head to the Fire TV Settings menut under Equipment Control
  • Select “Manage Equipment”, followed by “Add Equipment,” then “Live TV
  • Follow the on screen instructions to complete the setup.
Once connected, users can turn to a channel by saying, “Alexa to tune into channel (number) on TV.” You can also say the name of your favorite channel instead of the number.

This is the latest in a series of recent Amazon updates. Earlier, Amazon announced that the YouTube Kids app is now available on Fire TV devices. The app was designed to be easy for kids to interact with, with simple menus, fun graphics, and larger buttons.

Additionally, on Wednesday Amazon announced that it is improving its live TV viewing experience for Fire TV by more deeply integrating Hulu with Live TV, YouTube TV, and Sling TV. With integration into Fire TV’s live experience, live content from each of the streaming services will be added to Fire TV’s live TV discovery features including the Live Tab, On Now Rows, and the multi-app Channel Guide.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/amazon-adds-a-new-ota-feature-to-fire-tv-cube/
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the ota tuner is an amazon creation? Oh it’s through your tv.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the ota tuner is an amazon creation? Oh it’s through your tv.
I don't have a Fire Cube, only Fire TV 4K Stick devices. But, I am assuming they mean a network OTA tuner like the Silicon Dust HDHomeRun.

Reactions: keeper

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had this Cube since January, and I just realized how terribly it upscales 1080p and lower content. I recently bought the Sony X900H TV and compared it's built in apps to those of the Fire TV Cube, and the videos from Cube's apps are noticeably more processed. It's most apparent when I watch the ESPN app and standard-def content from Disney+. I also notice the difference if I pixel peep in Youtube as well. Basically, the image looks like you are turning on noise reduction or edge enhancement all the way up. Before you ask, yes, my settings are consistent across all of my TV's inputs, and the Cube is set to Auto at 4K60Hz. I watched an episode of the 90s Spider-man cartoon on Disney+, and while on the Sony TV app it looked as it should with perfect clarity, the Fire TV Cube's version had a much more processed image with less detail, kinda like you smothered Vaseline over the entire screen.

I actually love everything about the Cube and would like to keep using it, but now that I've seen the difference in picture quality, I can't unsee it :(

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I was considering getting a Cube to get better performance than with my Firestick 4ks, especially with Disney+ ,but I am not sure now after reading this thread. Is it still the case that you cannot sideload apps using Downloader?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I was considering getting a Cube to get better performance than with my Firestick 4ks, especially with Disney+ ,but I am not sure now after reading this thread. Is it still the case that you cannot sideload apps using Downloader?

I was able to side load apps with downloaded with no problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Anyone ever hear back from support about the Cube switching to BT2020 color output after going to sleep? Still having that issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had this Cube since January, and I just realized how terribly it upscales 1080p and lower content. I recently bought the Sony X900H TV and compared it's built in apps to those of the Fire TV Cube, and the videos from Cube's apps are noticeably more processed. It's most apparent when I watch the ESPN app and standard-def content from Disney+. I also notice the difference if I pixel peep in Youtube as well. Basically, the image looks like you are turning on noise reduction or edge enhancement all the way up. Before you ask, yes, my settings are consistent across all of my TV's inputs, and the Cube is set to Auto at 4K60Hz. I watched an episode of the 90s Spider-man cartoon on Disney+, and while on the Sony TV app it looked as it should with perfect clarity, the Fire TV Cube's version had a much more processed image with less detail, kinda like you smothered Vaseline over the entire screen.

I actually love everything about the Cube and would like to keep using it, but now that I've seen the difference in picture quality, I can't unsee it :(
Interesting. I havent tried that good thing for me i have other options for 1080p content im my man cave. But I will check for this.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know what's up with yours, but my Cube is just about perfect. It is my preferred streaming device over my Samsung 65Q7DR, Firestick 4K, CMStream+ and Sony UBX700. Upscale looks great on my equipment.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Sony's X1 video processor is one of the best on the market. It would not surprise me to learn that it does a better job at upscaling than the ARM GPU in the Fire TV Cube. Given you are talking about pretty low-bandwidth sources (ESPN app, Disney+ SD, YouTube), the Sony silicon probably does do a better job at making those look good. The only question in my mind is why isn't doing the same thing with the content coming in from the Fire TV Cube?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Just got Disney+ the other day and when I play a show that is supposed to be 4K (Mandalorian) it is output in 1080p DV. Does anyone here get the D+ shows in 4K DV ??
On my Roku Ultra it is output in 4K, but no DV.
Having said that, I like the 1080p DV better, and my LG OLED will upscale to 4K, just wondering if I missed a setting somewhere in the Cube.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, I get 4K HDR/Dolby Atmos/Digital Plus on Disney+ with my Cube. Don't get Atmos but get 4K with my Firestick 4K and my Samsung 65Q7DR TV.
Firecube 4K 2nd Gen is my fastest most responsive streaming device.

P.S. Sorry, my TV doesn't support Dolby Vision, just HDR and HDR+. Didn't get what you were saying until now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, maybe you all can help, I’ve had the 2nd Gen cube since Xmas and mainly use it for Alexa and device switching to make it easier for people in the house. I also have an ATV 4K, a Xiaomi Mi Box, and the native apps for my LG OLED E7 to handle my streaming needs, anyway they’re all hooked to a Sony DNR1080 AVR and I’ve had no issues getting 4K or Atmos sound through all of them except the Cube-which I’ve only recently realized does Atmos. I’ve tried switching inputs and cables but to no avail. Is there a setting or something I’m missing? It’s not a huge issue except I think the only way to get Atmos for prime shows is through the Cube.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You actually have to choose Atmos on the remote during playback ...via the option button. Or did I misunderstand the issue?

·
Registered
54 Posts
You actually have to choose Atmos on the remote during playback ...via the option button. Or did I misunderstand the issue?

Yeah I’ve tried that but Atmos isn’t showing as an option, it’s just DD+ and Stereo, tried with Jack Ryan and Carnival Row

·
Registered
384 Posts
my firecube went haywired, funking up my remotes until I managed to conr\trol it with my phone app remote control...but now kaput with an independent mind to maximize the volume on my Yammy AVR. Think I had it for almost two years...will get a reburbished replacement. fingers crossed. Anyone else had problem with the remote not working with the FCube? BTW how do we search within the forum? Not used to the new glitzy interface here

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
YouTube is finally outputting correctly in HDR on the Fire TV Stick 4K. Can anyone confirm if the Cube is fixed as well? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

161 - 180 of 189 Posts