1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Actually, as of 12:50am CT, Sunday, Dec. 1, 2002, the 5160 link still states...

"Availability: This item is not yet available. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives."

I can't imagine they sold out of them in less than six hours?

But yes, the 5080 is currently "In stock".

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My estimated ship date for a 5080 is Dec 12 - Dec 13.

With Super Slow Super Saver Shipping, I might get it by Christmas.

David

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well now the 5080 is "SB - eightyhour". Isn't that what they called the 5000s when they wanted to "hide" them before? Only then they took it out of the search engine too.

Not that I care now, I got mine.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
DrStrange wrote:
Well now the 5080 is "SB - eightyhour". Isn't that what they called the 5000s when they wanted to "hide" them before? Only then they took it out of the search engine too.

Not that I care now, I got mine.
so, what's your point?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just wondering why the status changes, from "not yet available" to "available" to "discontinued" back to available etc, and now the change to a name they used before when they weren't supposed to have had it on their site, all in a fairly short period of time. It's just odd is all.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange
...It's just odd is all.
Is it odd or is it just downright Strange?

(amazon is in on the conspiracy?)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
"Never attribute to conspiracy that which is adequately explained by random acts of stupidity." toots

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I just received an email from Amazon.com saying my 5080 has been shipped. They say 5-9 business days for shipping, but I am in the middle of the U.S., so I'm guessing closer to 5 days than 9, but we shall see.

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My 5080 arrive today. During setup I came across two bugs. The FF key doesn't always jump forward 12 hours. Sometimes I have to arrow over a couble of times before it will work. The other problem is when I Change Recording Options and change from Guaranteed to Not Guaranteed, my settings don't get saved. This isn't ALWAYS true, but it's happened to me at least a half dozen times. I set up a bunch of shows and then decided they didn't need to be guaranteed and tried to go back and change them.

The way multiple ReplayTV's work together is really slick, but when I played a show across the network I got all kind of stuttering for about a minute or so and then it seemed to smooth out. I have a 10/100 Switch and there is pretty much NOTHING else going on, so it's not a network congestion issue.

An obvious issue also popped up with the Catagories. There should be a way to restrict an entire catagory, or apply a "Rating" to an entire catagory, so that nobody under 17 can look at "Dad's Shows". Just seeing the titles of some of the shows can be quite incriminating.

This is after spending maybe an hour with the unit. How long do the beta testers spend with them? Less than that?

David

PS. This is my 4th Replay, so I am entitled to *****. :)

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by haysdb
My 5080 arrive today. During setup I came across two bugs. The FF key doesn't always jump forward 12 hours. Sometimes I have to arrow over a couble of times before it will work. The other problem is when I Change Recording Options and change from Guaranteed to Not Guaranteed, my settings don't get saved. This isn't ALWAYS true, but it's happened to me at least a half dozen times. I set up a bunch of shows and then decided they didn't need to be guaranteed and tried to go back and change them.

This is after spending maybe an hour with the unit. How long do the beta testers spend with them? Less than that?
You tell us, we are the beta testers :)

Regarding the other problems, do you know which version of the OS

your unit came with? 411-zones

I think 930 (10/22/02) is the most recent version on the 5040s.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It downloaded new software during the setup. I have the 10/22/02 build.

I am a beta tester for a product and I take my "job" very seriously. ReplayTV could do a lot worse, and apparently did. Or maybe they just didn't pay attention to what people said. The very first screen that comes up during setup would have gotten red ink from me. There are two choices, one blue, one yellow. Which is the "selected" option? After some thought it's more-or-less obvious, but the "button" design really sucks. How does something so obvious get past QA?

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.