AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone knows if Amazon cuts off the really low frequency on their streaming videos? I was streaming Inception in HD Dolby 5.1, and there were certain scenes where buildings were shaking, and the water in a glass was moving. However, all that was coming out of my HSU VTF-3 MK5 was a weak midbass sound. It really didn't match up with the visuals on the screen. Also, my internet connects at over 100 Mbps. The stream was coming through at about 15Mbps.

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
A lot of streaming services and cable companies only do Dolby Stereo, or DD5.1.

Very few if any support 7.1 HD lossless.
As a result you are getting a downmixed resampled version at-best (and that's assuming they downmixed it properly, which is often not the case).

If you want quality, ya gotta buy the Blu disc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll get rid of HULU and Netflix, and quit renting on Amazon. I've gotten spoil with audio quality since I got my new home theater setup. It's kind of a thrill to feel the subsonic frequency from the lossless Blue Rays.So, I'll just have to start a Blue Ray collection of floor shaking movies.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you have a compatible device, amazon and netflix streaming both do 5.1 audio. Although it may have some additional compression compared to the compression on bluray. I have not noticed any lack of bass with my viewing though. My current sub only goes down to 29hz (new one is on the way), but it rumbles and shakes walls with the streaming movies just fine.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Anyone knows if Amazon cuts off the really low frequency on their streaming videos? I was streaming Inception in HD Dolby 5.1, and there were certain scenes where buildings were shaking, and the water in a glass was moving. However, all that was coming out of my HSU VTF-3 MK5 was a weak midbass sound. It really didn't match up with the visuals on the screen. Also, my internet connects at over 100 Mbps. The stream was coming through at about 15Mbps.
I stream Amazon through my PS3 and the audio I get is always F'd up. I get too much bass, and no mids or highs to speak of. I normally run my sub channel at -4db. On many Amazon movies I have to turn it down as far as it goes (-10db) and to get decent voice clarity run the master volume up to as high as -10db. Amazon is the only service that does that on my system.

Vudu through the PS3 is fine as was Netflix when I used the PS3 for that. I use Apple TV nowadays. I've gotten what I think are really good results for audio via streaming from movies from Apple. A few that were memorable were Man of Tai Chi and The Grandmaster. Not BR loss less but every bit as good as DD from a DVD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts