AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd relate my experience with purchasing a Samsung LN52A650 LCD TV through Amazon.com as a cautionary tale to others.

This November, I decided to buy the 52" Samsung from Amazon because of their great prices and return policy. I added the TV to my wish list while I was researching and making up my mind if and when to make the purchase. After checking Best Buy and almost buying from them, I decided to go ahead with the purchase from Amazon.

I went back to my wish list and selected the TV from the list and proceeded to the checkout. Apparently, Amazon was selling the TV via 6thAve even though the payment went to Amazon. I placed the order only to find out a couple of days later that Amazon's link, on this one day was pointed to 6thAve instead of to the direct purchase from Amazon.

I immediately called 6thAve to cancel the order since their return policy doesn't allow the return of larger TVs. 6thAve claimed the TV had already been shipped, so I called Amazon customer service. The Amazon rep said they had no record of the item being shipped yet (no tracking number) and promised me that, since I had tried to cancel with 6thAve, that I would be able to return the TV if I needed to under the Amazon AtoZ warranty.

With this assurance, I went ahead and accepted delivery of the TV. Twenty-nine days after I received the TV, the entire left side of the screen went white. The white faded after a day, leaving yellow and blue bars on the left side of the screen. These bars also faded gradually over the next week, although the left side of the screen was a noticeable different tint than the right.

I called Samsung to report the problem. They assigned the problem to a local in home service center who was unable to come look at the TV for at least two weeks. Samsung thought it was a circuit board problem, the repair center thought it was a panel issue. Needless to say, I was not please that major components of my new television were faulty. I called 6thAve to request a new TV. They refused, citing their policy of no returns and that the TV would need to be repaired under Samsung's warranty.

Several days later, the TV completely cleared up of the video problems, and seemed normal once more. The service center claimed that there is nothing at all they can do if there is no visible problem. While I was happy that I could watch my TV, I remained concerned that this could be a problem that would show up again sometime in the future after the TV was no longer under warranty.

Since 6thAve would not take the TV back, I called Amazon to request that they honor their promise to allow me to return the TV. On my first call, I was told that an AtoZ claim was being filed on my behalf. When I called back 5 days later to check the status, I found that no claim had ever been submitted, so I had to submit one myself.

Today, I heard back regarding the claim stating that, since 6thAve had a no return policy, my claim was denied. This is in direct contradiction to what the Amazon rep told me on the phone. I have replied to that email and also sent an additional problem report to Amazon, but at this point I do not expect to hear anything positive from them. Amazon, having sent me off to 6thAve, has now washed their hands of the problem.

I wanted to tell this story as a warning to others. First, make absolutely sure that if you are ordering from Amazon, you are actually ordering directly from them and not from one of the many vendors that they put on their website.

Second, Amazon's AtoZ warranty isn't worth the electronic paper that it is written on. If you have a problem with one of their vendors, it is between you and the vendor.

Third, I won't EVER order an expensive item from Amazon ever again. I'd rather pay a few hundred dollars more and get it from a local store with a good return policy. You won't find Best Buy or Sears sending you over to Joe's appliances to get your TV with no return policy.

I used to think that Amazon was a safe place to order from, but no more. After the runaround they've given me, I won't order anything other than a book from them in the future.

BUYER BEWARE!!!

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with Amazon. However, it's been mentioned MANY times in this forum that when you go through Amazon, you should make sure it comes from Amazon and not one of their third party vendors. I purchased my Samsung 46A650 from Amazon and had absolutely no problems with the purchase or the delivery. In fact, I have probably ordered twenty or more items from Amazon during 2008 and have never had a bad buying experience with any of them.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/15426466

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with Amazon. However, it's been mentioned MANY times in this forum that when you go through Amazon, you should make sure it comes from Amazon and not one of their third party vendors. I purchased my Samsung 46A650 from Amazon and had absolutely no problems with the purchase or the delivery. In fact, I have probably ordered twenty or more items from Amazon during 2008 and have never had a bad buying experience with any of them.

Exactly.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I intended it to come from Amazon. And when I added it to my wish list, it was direct from Amazon. It's the switcheroo that caught me up.

So, part of my warning is that Amazon can and does do this switch up. I doubt it's intentional, but it happens nonetheless.

The other part of my warning that, if you do choose to order from Amazon sponsored third parties, don't count on Amazon to support you, no matter what their "warranty" promises.

As with anything, as long as things work as they are supposed to, everyone is happy. Good customer service happens when things do NOT work as expected. In this regard, Amazon fails the test.

I don't mind risking $100 for a book order or other small item. But Amazon has demonstrated to me that it's worth the money to be able to deal with someone face-to-face.

Their customer service is in India (or thereabouts), so in addition to dealing with the language barrier, you also cannot speak with anyone in authority. It's a pass the buck system to get the customer off the phone as quickly as possible.

When Amazon orders work, they work very well. The caution is that, when they don't, get ready to lose. How much you're willing to risk is up to each individual. Just go into it with your eyes wide open.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Could it be that you bought the item from 6th Ave thinking you were buying it directly thru amazon?

Thats what it sounds like.

You have to be very careful when checking out that you are buying from amazon and not one of amazons merchants.

It kinda sounds like you just accidentlly bought from 6th ave.

anyway, good luck

·
Registered
16,269 Posts
I have bought many items online, from CDs to relatively expensive electronics (DVD players, BluRay players, etc). But I would never buy a large, heavy, expensive TV online -- too much hassle if you have a problem (it's a lot easier to ship back a DVD player than a TV). Just my 2 cents.

In this situation, I would elevate my complaint at Amazon (you won't get anywhere with 6th Ave) and insist that they take back the TV.

·
Registered
284 Posts
you should have refused shipment and never took the TV out of the package and I can almost guarantee you Amazon would have made something happen for you

hopefully that problem doesnt masteriously come back on you TV cuz that would suck

good luck

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/15426860

I have bought many items online, from CDs to relatively expensive electronics (DVD players, BluRay players, etc). But I would never buy a large, heavy, expensive TV online -- too much hassle if you have a problem (it's a lot easier to ship back a DVD player than a TV). Just my 2 cents.

In this situation, I would elevate my complaint at Amazon (you won't get anywhere with 6th Ave) and insist that they take back the TV.

Well the problem is return policies. With Amazon, returning a large TV is completely hassle free, but with any other online store you are completely screwed.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
It's not a "switcheroo." Amazon is trying to offer the lowest price for the product and sometimes it's amazon while another time, it's from a third party vendor. Just because you didn't bother to look to see who was the seller before you submitted it, don't blame it on anybody except the one between the chair and the keyboard.

Of course, it's always somebody else's fault; never yours.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
I'm going to vouch for the OP on this one. While I realize that many people unknowingly purchase items off of amazon that are fulfilled by a third-party, I know for a fact that occasionally a switcheroo occurs. The main product pages on amazon always revolve to indicate the lowest price (presumably), and it appears that when you have an item saved in your wish list, and then add it to your cart, it reverts to the current low-price seller. This has ALMOST happened to me several times where I put an item in my wish list that I KNOW is sold by amazon.com (since I always confirm it when I put an item in a cart so I get my 2-day free shipping), then when I add it back to the cart from the wish list later and go through checkout, I realize it's being fulfilled by a third-party. I know this because 1) as a prime member, I buy a lot of stuff from Amazom, and 2), also being a prime member, I always look at shipping price before I confirm a purchase, and if I try to buy an item that I know should be 2-day free shipping for me and it shows up with a shipping charge, I backtrack and indeed confirm that the seller has been switched from Amazon to a third-party.

All I can say is, you need to be careful when you add an item from your wish list to the cart, and always make sure you know where it's coming from. It sucks that it happened on such a big-ticket item for the OP, but this truly does happen even if you place an item into your cart -> wish list that at the time is fulfilled by Amazon.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 /forum/post/15426948

It's not a "switcheroo." Amazon is trying to offer the lowest price for the product and sometimes it's amazon while another time, it's from a third party vendor. Just because you didn't bother to look to see who was the seller before you submitted it, don't blame it on anybody except the one between the chair and the keyboard.

When I added the TV to my wishlist, it was direct from Amazon. When I actually placed the order, the same link had been redirected so that it came from 6thAve. The entire transaction went through the Amazon website, my credit card was charged by Amazon. If that's not a switch, then please kindly explain what you would consider a switch to be?

As soon as I noticed the problem, I tried to cancel from 6thAve. When they refused to cancel, Amazon assured me that I would be able to return to them even if 6thAve refused a return.

I'm not sure why you think you need to defend Amazon on this and roll your eyes. Maybe you think most everyone in the world is an idiot but you and that we all deserve what we get. So be it, my post isn't for you. Go ahead and order online indiscriminately.

For the other 99.9% of people out there, be careful. Although most of the time Amazon is a good bet, my experience shows that when something does go awry, Amazon isn't as safe as you might think.

Quote:
you should have refused shipment and never took the TV out of the package and I can almost guarantee you Amazon would have made something happen for you

It did occur to me to refuse the shipment, however, when I first called Amazon about the problem, before 6thAve had even shipped the TV but were claiming that they could not stop delivery, the Amazon customer service rep assured me that Amazon would take responsibility for the order just as if I had ordered it from them. Since I wanted the TV and trusted Amazon, it seemed ok to accept it under those conditions.

Quote:

I have elevated the problem to Amazon and, despite their previous assurances, the only answer I get back is, that I bought it from 6thAve so I am bound by their return policy. The lesson here is, don't trust what they tell you on the phone. Get it in writing. I'll take the blame for that mistake for sure.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 /forum/post/15426948

x2

Hate to say it, but massive user error here, sorry.

Amazon's been nothing short of a dream for me, as I've always made sure to order direct from them. And in these cases, they've gone out of their way to not only honor current bundled discounts (eventhough I purchased at an earlier, more expensive price), but they also offered a partial, sizeable refund for a perceived error in the shipment of my 52" set, which turned out not to be an error afterall yet I still kept the refund.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd /forum/post/15427322

x2

Hate to say it, but massive user error here, sorry.

Amazon's been nothing short of a dream for me, as I've always made sure to order direct from them. And in these cases, they've gone out of their way to not only honor current bundled discounts (eventhough I purchased at an earlier, more expensive price), but they also offered a partial, sizeable refund for a pereceived error in the shipment of my 52" set, which turned out not to be an error afterall.

Again, I'll vouch for the OP. He stated that he placed the item in his wish list, and at the time it was fulfilled by Amazon. When he later put it from his wish list to the cart, it reverted to the third-party at that time (it can change multiple times in one day). Again, this truly does happen. You're partly right that the OP made an error in not confirming it, but if this was the first time he's run into it, it's unfortunate. While ultimately I believe strongly in personal responsibility, he made a mistake that's definitely plausible the way Amazon's wish list is configured, and he tried everything that he could after the fact to rectify it.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchformore /forum/post/15427243

When I added the TV to my wishlist, it was direct from Amazon. When I actually placed the order, the same link had been redirected so that it came from 6thAve. The entire transaction went through the Amazon website, my credit card was charged by Amazon. If that's not a switch, then please kindly explain what you would consider a switch to be?

That's not a switch. When the TV goes out of stock or a price lower than Amazon is offered, it is normally the one being offered as default. It is your responsibility to read who the seller is before making the purchase. Don't assume, and read. The whole problem is you didn't read closely before you click on 'buy'. A switch is a whole different matter. Google it.

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
The Amazon A to Z policy states that you need to find out what a seller's return policy is, because when one is stated, those rules are what you are agreeing to when making a purchase. So no matter what their rep may have told you, if 6th Avenue states no returns, there won't be any returns.

I do feel bad about the switch happening and you not catching it, but I don't understand why you accepted the shipment and used it for 29 days.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchformore /forum/post/15426597

Yes, I intended it to come from Amazon. And when I added it to my wish list, it was direct from Amazon. It's the switcheroo that caught me up.

So, part of my warning is that Amazon can and does do this switch up. I doubt it's intentional, but it happens nonetheless.

The other part of my warning that, if you do choose to order from Amazon sponsored third parties, don't count on Amazon to support you, no matter what their "warranty" promises.

As with anything, as long as things work as they are supposed to, everyone is happy. Good customer service happens when things do NOT work as expected. In this regard, Amazon fails the test.

I don't mind risking $100 for a book order or other small item. But Amazon has demonstrated to me that it's worth the money to be able to deal with someone face-to-face.

Their customer service is in India (or thereabouts), so in addition to dealing with the language barrier, you also cannot speak with anyone in authority. It's a pass the buck system to get the customer off the phone as quickly as possible.

When Amazon orders work, they work very well. The caution is that, when they don't, get ready to lose. How much you're willing to risk is up to each individual. Just go into it with your eyes wide open.

Sorry dude, but Amazon didn't pull a switcheroo. Your problem was thinking you were inside Amazon when in fact you were outside from the outset. The key is making sure it is sold by Amazon which is clearly stated below the price box.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/15427362

Again, I'll vouch for the OP. He stated that he placed the item in his wish list, and at the time it was fulfilled by Amazon. When he later put it from his wish list to the cart, it reverted to the third-party at that time (it can change multiple times in one day). Again, this truly does happen. You're partly right that the OP made an error in not confirming it, but if this was the first time he's run into it, it's unfortunate. While ultimately I believe strongly in personal responsibility, he made a mistake that's definitely plausible the way Amazon's wish list is configured, and he tried everything that he could after the fact to rectify it.

You can vouch for all the people if you want. The bottom line is that even if you add an item to your wish list with amazon as the seller, the seller can change every second, depending which vendor is selling the cheapest at that time. I have items in my wish list and the vendors change every hour or so. It is your responsibility to look and make sure amazon is the seller and if it is not, pick amazon from the More Buying Choices (right side). In other words, items in your wish list are not always from amazon.

Just add a popular HDTV LCD to your wish list and see the seller changes from amazon to a third party vendor back to amazon to another vendor and back again unless amazon has the lowest price of all. Then, amazon would be the seller.

If amazon makes a mistake, I have no problem blasting them for it. But blaming amazon for your own mistake is just lame.

·
Registered
282 Posts
There are multiple mistakes made by OP:

1) Assuming the seller would still be Amazon when he added it to his Wishlist. There should be multiple pages that state who the seller would be. With a big purchase like this, I don't know why anyone wouldn't fine comb everything to the T.

2) Taking the words of a customer rep over the official A to Z guarantee policy which clearly states return is abide by the seller's return policy.

3) Took a few days to notice the mistake. You can literally cancel the order online if you catch it fast, hassle free.

4) Accepting the delivery.

5) Messing around with the TV till it worked again. Just let Samsung do their job. They were going to replace a part so why did you went and get it in working order before the guy did it is beyond me.

I really don't see how is this Amazon's fault in any ways, sorry.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
i must admit i rolled my eyes reading the original post.

but with further explanation, i will definitely keep this in mind, as i see the swithcheroo seems to be a function of how their price tracking for the cart/wish list works.

in addition to those notices about prices changing up or down when you open the the cart, they ought to make a qualifying statement that the current price might be from a different vendor with different exchange and return policies. that seems fair, and quite in keeping with the perceived amazon above-board aprroach to customer satisfaction.

SO I ASK THESE QUESTIONS of the two in this thread who have seen/experienced this from their card saves --

is there a time during the order process from your saved items, is there a time when the actual (new) seller's name is displayed ? is it obvious or 'hidden' ?

at what point can you become aware of it ? as you order but before you actually buy? after you buy at the site ? from the email(s) they send you ? etc.

also, from amazon you can cancel or change an order any time up to the moment it enters the shipping process. is this true with the other vendors, as far as you know?

thanks and thanks for the info

TVbc

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.