AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, we decided to try out Amazon Prime this year due to a couple of reasons, however we still have and continue to use Netflix for our primary streaming service. As such, Amazon doesn't get much play from us really. I'd like to know if there's anything I'm missing out on by not search Amazon's selection that much.

In that light, I was wondering if people know of any hidden gems that are available via Amazon Prime, but aren't already streaming on Netflix.

I'll start off by posting that the first three seasons of "Falling Skies" - Aliens land and try to take over earth, regular folk (starring Noah Wylie) join up with military folk to effect a rebellion - is available streaming on Amazon Prime but not Netflix.

The other obvious additions are all of the Nickelodeon kid's shows that are on Amazon Prime, but not Netflix.

Anyone else taken some time to spot-check and see where Amazon Prime outshines Netflix? (Again, not looking to argue one is better than the other, just looking for new content.)

-Suntan

·
Registered
3,742 Posts

MGM's former Showtime series ''Jeremiah'' is available on AP. It was on Netflix Instant a couple of years back. Their 3 Stargate shows are also on AP.

Other titles off the top of my head include...

NYPD Blue

Comedy Central's Key and Peele.

BBC America's Orphan Black jusr added

V-the recent reboot

Movies

Soldier

Swordfish

Matrix Revolutions

The Postman

·
Banned
906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C  /t/1522990/amazon-prime-gems-not-on-netflix#post_24494618

V-the recent reboot

Thanks! I never a chance to watch that one. I still remember watching the original when I was but a wee lad.

·
Banned
906 Posts
Also various Food Channel and Travel Channel shows like:

Iron Chef America

Bizarre Foods

I also like various HGTV shows as well.

Come to think of it, there is a whole lot of programs and movies that are not on Netflix.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
We just finished watching the Hobbit 'TheDesolation of Smaug' on Amazon a week before it even releases on DVD/BR.

The quality was excellent.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32  /t/1522990/amazon-prime-gems-not-on-netflix#post_24547271

Veronica Mars.
Are all the seasons in HD on Amazon? When Netflix had it they were but Amazon has a habit only having cruddy SD versions of HD shows.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
This thread is mistitled. Almost none of the mentioned content is available on the free (to members) 'Prime' but are available on 'Amazon Instant Video' (for a price).

·
Registered
3,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy  /t/1522990/amazon-prime-gems-not-on-netflix#post_24548026

This thread is mistitled. Almost none of the mentioned content is available on the free (to members) 'Prime' but are available on 'Amazon Instant Video' (for a price).

The titles I listed are indeed part of the 'free' Prime. As are Vikings S1, and Veronica Mars S1-3. Only Hobbit 'TheDesolation of Smaug' and Iron Chef are pay per view/rentals, which shouldn't posted.

All Prime titles that come 'free' with a membership have the ''checkmark Prime'' logo in the upper cornere of it's thumbnail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C  /t/1522990/amazon-prime-gems-not-on-netflix#post_24494618

MGM's former Showtime series ''Jeremiah'' is available on AP. It was on Netflix Instant a couple of years back. Their 3 Stargate shows are also on AP.

NYPD Blue

Comedy Central's Key and Peele.

BBC America's Orphan Black

V-the recent reboot

Movies

Soldier

Swordfish

Matrix Revolutions

The Postman
Checking, I see that V The Reboot, is no longer 'free', but ppv/VOD. It was a part of Prime back in January.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C  /t/1522990/amazon-prime-gems-not-on-netflix#post_24548228

, is no longer 'free', but ppv/VOD.
PPV needs to go back to the gutter where it belongs. I really wish Amazon would release two seperate apps one with only PPV junk which I won't download and another one with only Prime content NO PPV junk which I will download and use.

·
Banned
906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C  /t/1522990/amazon-prime-gems-not-on-netflix#post_24548228

Checking, I see that V The Reboot, is no longer 'free', but ppv/VOD. It was a part of Prime back in January.
This was another show that I never got around to watch.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice  /t/1522990/amazon-prime-gems-not-on-netflix/0_100#post_24548585

Quote:

, is no longer 'free', but ppv/VOD.
PPV needs to go back to the gutter where it belongs. I really wish Amazon would release two seperate apps one with only PPV junk which I won't download and another one with only Prime content NO PPV junk which I will download and use.

Most (or all) streaming Amazon Instant Video players let you view only Prime titles.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott  /t/1522990/amazon-prime-gems-not-on-netflix#post_24558821

Most (or all) streaming Amazon Instant Video players let you view only Prime titles.
I know but it does not really filter the PPV junk. I went on there once and saw a movie I wanted to see and I was in the Prime section yet all I was able to do was rent or buy the movie. I was ticked off and said this is why I like Netflix better anything on there I can watch without extra charges.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts