AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,879 Posts
I searched throughout for information about the Prime audio streaming service. I think the audio quality is poor compared to CD. Can anyone confirm whether the Amazon streams at much lower level than CD?http://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif
Where do you have your bit-rate set in your player? Regardless, they only stream lossy MP3s, so the answer to your question is no...it is not CD quality.

However, 320kbps MP3 is mostly indistinguishable from CD to a lot of people, but once you get to the lower bit-rates, quality will start to drop off and the difference becomes more apparent.

Reactions: noshank

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Some mp3 encoders do a horrible job and apply a 14-18khz LPF. The good ones don't apply any LPF, which makes the files/streams ever so larger.

If you have good ears, and know what the CD version sounds like, you might be able to hear the roll-off or brick-wall.

Obviously lossless compression is preferred, but streaming services that have that are rarer, and usually have smaller collections.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I found that there are noticeable differences between music files of 320kbps MP3 downloaded from Amazon to my computer and the Amazon Prime Streaming audio stations. :eek: Am I right to think that Amazon does not stream at a higher rate? I think with the other streaming apps, I can adjust the rates.

(Note: just researched on the Low Pass Filter. Interesting as I found the bass to be overwhelming from the streaming files.)

Thanks for inputs.:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts