AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
20,242 Posts
People React To That Scene From INVINCIBLE

There’s a scene in INVINCIBLE you’ll see this weekend that will have your jaw on the floor. We gave a sneak peek to a few lucky friends, including cast member Jason Mantzoukas and Kinda Funny’s Greg Miller, and these are their reactions. The first three episodes of INVINCIBLE, starring Steven Yeun, Sandra Oh, J.K. Simmons and more, arrives on Prime Video this Friday. INVINCIBLE is an Amazon Original series based on the groundbreaking comic book from Robert Kirkman, the creator of The Walking Dead. The story revolves around 17-year-old Mark Grayson (Steven Yeun), who’s just like every other guy his age — except his father is the most powerful superhero on the planet, Omni-Man (J.K. Simmons). The hour-per-episode series also stars Sandra Oh, Zazie Beetz, Gillian Jacobs, Zachary Quinto, Jason Mantzoukas, Melise, Mark Hamill, Mahershala Ali, Seth Rogen and more. The first three episodes are coming to Prime Video on March 26, with weekly releases through April 30 after that.

·
Registered
20,242 Posts
Netflix & Amazon Should Be Legally Compelled To Share Viewing Data With UK Broadcasters, Lawmakers Argue
By Jake Kante

Netflix and Amazon should be legally required to hand over viewing data for British-originated shows to UK public service broadcasters and media regulator Ofcom, according to an influential group of lawmakers.

British Parliament’s Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee (DCMSC) said broadcasters, including the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, had a right to know how shows that they originally commissioned are performing on major streaming services.

In a report on the future of UK public service broadcasting, the committee said the UK government should introduce legislation that compels Netflix, Amazon and others to share top-line viewing data “to enable full analysis of PSB reach.” This would mean Netflix providing the BBC with information on how shows like Bodyguard and Peaky Blinders are performing.

The DCMSC report added that updated media laws should ensure that streamers clearly label and brand British content with the logo of the broadcaster from which it originated. Lawmakers acknowledged that this is already happening, but said it is not comprehensive, pointing out that episodes of The Fall are not branded with the BBC logo on Amazon Prime Video.

Netflix and Amazon, in particular, have libraries that are well stocked with shows originally made for the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. Ofcom estimates that 1,276 hours of UK public service broadcaster content is on Netflix alone, and that young people are more likely to watch BBC content on streamers rather than iPlayer.

Netflix and Amazon are likely to fight any attempt to legislate data sharing. In evidence to the DCMSC, they argued that it would be commercially sensitive. The committee of lawmakers disagreed.

“We do not believe that sharing top line viewer data about PSB-originated content with Ofcom and the relevant the PSB would be commercially sensitive. Streaming services are an important ‘second window’ for PSB content but without viewer data, it is difficult to fully assess the reach of PSBs,” the DCMSC report said.

·
Registered
20,242 Posts

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Just finished the documentary Mystify Michael Hutchence. He was a very interesting personality I really knew nothing about, and knew zero about the circumstances surrounding his suicide. Back in the 80s and 90s, I just listened to music and didn't pay any attention to celebrity dramas and gossip, not until VH1's Behind the Music came along. Now musical documentaries are among my favorite genres. This one was well made, featuring interviews by band members, managers, key ex-girlfriends, etc., though if you mainly care about the music and not the personalities, you might be disappointed.

·
Registered
20,242 Posts
Patrick Schwarzenegger Joins Chris Pratt In ‘The Terminal List’ Amazon Conspiracy Thriller Series
By Denise Petski

EXCLUSIVE: Patrick Schwarzenegger is joining Chris Pratt in Amazon’s conspiracy-thriller series The Terminal List, based on Jack Carr’s bestselling novel, in a key recurring role.

Constance Wu, Riley Keough, Taylor Kitsch and Jeanne Tripplehorn also star in the series, which Pratt executive produces along with Antoine Fuqua, who directs, and writer David DiGilio. The Terminal List is a co-production from Amazon Studios and Civic Center Media in association with MRC Television.

Written by DiGilio, The Terminal List follows James Reece (Pratt) after his entire platoon of Navy SEALs is ambushed during a high-stakes covert mission. Reece returns home to his family with conflicting memories of the event and questions about his culpability. However, as new evidence comes to light, Reece discovers dark forces working against him, endangering not only his life but the lives of those he loves.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
La Templanza (The Vineyard) - Official Trailer | Prime Video
The Vineyard is the story of Mauro Larrea and Soledad Montalvo, two strangers whose destinies will cross in the second half of the 19th century, leading to their lives changing forever. A history of glories and defeats, of silver mines, family intrigues, vineyards, wineries, and fascinating cities whose splendor faded over time.

Reactions: RobKnapp

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
I heard about this show from several different podcast episodes of doug loves movies. It was apparently one of those youtube shows. I binged this sucker pretty fast. It's incredibly entertaining. Seems to be flying under the radar.

Edit: I just removed the trailer link I posted as I didn't watch it before linking it. It gives away too many things that are better left unspoiled.
It's violent and funny. Try to go in without watching any of the videos online. First episode you can probably tell if you'll like the rest or not.

I just ripped through this in 2 days myself and absolutely loved it! It's funny as heck, sad, crazy, uplifting, dark, and more, it covers a wide range of emotions and action. And the cast is an incredible collection of great actors both known and unknown. I hope a second season shows up soon as I'm ready for more.
Wow. Almost exactly the same for me. Just finished it, and it was nuts. Maybe not quite as crazy as “Happy!” On SyFy a few years back, but almost. Some really great tender moments too. Definitely unique though. I would love a season 2.

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
Wow. Almost exactly the same for me. Just finished it, and it was nuts. Maybe not quite as crazy as “Happy!” On SyFy a few years back, but almost. Some really great tender moments too. Definitely unique though. I would love a season 2.
I posted this in the Wayne thread a couple of weeks ago.

Every time Reggie (Francesco Antonio) was on screen, he stole it. It's been a while since a character made me laugh so much. Those gold teeth, and especially that toothpick, were their own characters. Francesco played it to the hilt. His expressions were so good.

Thinking back on it, it's worth the watch just to see his performance. That character is right up there with one of my all time favorites, Barney Fife.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
SONG OF RAPA NUI | PRIME VIDEO
"Song of Rapa Nui" tells the story of Mahani Teave, who left Rapa Nui (Easter Island) at the age of 9 to pursue her dream of becoming a classical pianist. At the age of 30, on the brink of international success, Teave gives up her career to pursue a new dream; a free music school for the island's children.

·
Registered
20,242 Posts
Amazon Planning Comedy Series With ‘The Duchess’ Creator Katherine Ryan
By Jake Kanter

EXCLUSIVE: Amazon is in the early stages of creating a show with Katherine Ryan, the multi-hyphenated Canadian comedian behind Netflix’s scripted series The Duchess.

Deadline hears that the comedy entertainment project is currently titled Backstage With Katherine Ryan. The show is housed at Expectation, the UK production company through which Amazon’s The Grand Tour is made.

Amazon is not commenting on the series, but it would represent its first collaboration with Ryan, who has until now had closer ties with Netflix. Two of her stand-up specials, In Trouble and Glitter Room, have streamed on Netflix.

She also premiered her scripted series, The Duchess, on the streamer last September. Produced by Clerkenwell Films, the show spotlighted the powerful and problematic choices of a fashionably disruptive single mom living in London. Ryan has spoken about her desire to make a second season.

Ryan is a big name on the UK comedy circuit, regularly appearing on shows including Comedy Central’s Roast Battle, Channel 4’s 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, and How’d You Get So Rich?, also for Channel 4.

·
Registered
20,242 Posts
Amazon Prime Sets Seasons 2, 3 of First Spanish-Language Romcom Series, ‘Como Sobrevivir Soltero’ (EXCLUSIVE)

By Anna Marie de la Fuente

Amazon Prime Video has greenlit the second and third season of its first worldwide scripted Spanish-language comedy series, “Como Sobrevivir Soltero” (“How to Survive Being Single”).

“We are proud to announce the arrival of two more seasons of this hilarious romantic comedy series, working alongside Campanario Entertainment and the talented brothers Emiliano and Sebastián Zurita,” said Javiera Balmaceda, Amazon Studios’ head of local originals for Spanish-speaking Latin America.

Principal photography on season two kicked off March 30 with Mexican-born actor Sebastian Zurita leading a stellar cast that includes Tato Alexander, Octavio Hinojosa, Lucía Gómez-Robledo, Fabrizio Santini, Pamela Almanza and Roberto Flores who reprise their roles in the romcom series. Some notable stars are again expected to make surprise cameos in the show.

·
Registered
20,242 Posts
Amazon Boosts India Slate With ‘Tenet’ and Local Version of ‘Macbeth,’

By Naman Ramachandran

Dubbed Indian language versions of Christopher Nolan’s “Tenet” and a Malayalam-language film inspired by “Macbeth” are among new additions to Amazon Prime Video India’s slate.

Prime members in India and across the world can stream “Tenet” from March 31, in English as well as Hindi, Tamil and Telugu-language dubs.

April 7 will see the direct-to-digital world premiere of Malayalam-language “Joji,” the keenly anticipated follow up by director Dileesh Pothan and writer Syam Pushkaran to their hits “Maheshinte Prathikaaram” (2016) and “Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum” (2017). Inspired by “Macbeth,” the film stars Fahadh Faasil as the titular Joji, a university dropout and the youngest son of a rich plantation family, who executes plans driven by greed and ambition following an unexpected event. The cast also includes Baburaj, Shammi Thilakan, Alistair Alex and Unnimaya Prasad.

·
Registered
20,242 Posts
Sarah Michelle Gellar To Star In Amazon Studios YA Pilot ‘Hot Pink’

Sarah Michelle Gellar has been tapped to headline Hot Pink, a biting coming-of-age comedy for Amazon created by Elisabeth Holm (Obvious Child). With Gellar on board, the YA project has been officially ordered to pilot.

Hot Pink, from Amazon Studios in association with Annapurna Pictures, was loosely inspired by Elana K. Arnold’s National Book Award finalist What Girls Are Made Of.

·
Registered
20,242 Posts
Paradise City creator laments he'll have to recast Cameron Boyce's role if the series continues

The season 1 finale of Paradise City set the stage for more drama for Simon, the aspiring rocker played by the late Cameron Boyce. And that means the role will have to be recast if the Amazon Prime Video series continues.
"We're definitely hoping to shoot a second season before the year is over, but there are a few factors we have to get through to see how soon that can happen," series creator Ash Avildsen tells EW exclusively. "With Cameron, his character really is the heartbeat for the audience. We're all going on this ride with him as he discovers the world as an underdog. We'll have to find someone amazing who can hopefully carry the character."

Avildsen adds, "I mapped out like six seasons before we even shot this, so his character, Simon, is the driving force as the story continues. So we would have to recast, and I hope audiences are emotionally prepared for that. It's something you hope you never ever have to even think about, much less experience as a writer and director. Hopefully we get another season and we find someone that can bring the character back into the story."

Avildsen remembers Boyce, who died of epilepsy in 2019, at 20, as "the epitome of a superstar: professional, kind, charismatic, and loving."

"You couldn't be in a bad mood when he was in the room," he says." He had this infectious energy to him. The best word I have to describe him is magical. He made you excited to be in the room. No matter what we asked of him, he was always a team player. And his performance really speaks for itself."

The Paradise City cast is full of young talent, including Booboo Stewart, Bella Thorne, Andy Biersack, and Ben Bruce, who bring to life the rock band at the center of the story, the Relentless. And Avildsen sees bright futures for his actors.
"Booboo knew how to play guitar and was aware of this new school of modern hard rock," he says. "He fell into the role very naturally. Bella also did such an incredible job as the group's bass player. All of the young actors really did a standout job. We're hearing a lot of feedback about how believable they all are as a rock band. Many seemed surprised specifically of the actors with a Disney background. Moving on from that type of work where you were a Disney kid onto a show like this makes sense because they probably don't want to be typecast. They were all super-professional."

Paradise City is now streaming on Amazon.

·
Registered
20,242 Posts
‘Coming 2 America’ Gives Amazon Prime Video Its First No. 1 Finish On Nielsen Weekly Streaming Chart
By Dade Hayes

Amazon Prime Video has scored its first win on Nielsen’s weekly U.S. streaming chart with Coming 2 America.

The Eddie Murphy sequel racked up 1.4 billion minutes of viewing during the period of March 1 to 7, easily outpacing the No. 2 title of the week, Netflix’s Ginny & Georgia. (See full rankings below.)

About 40% of the film’s first-week viewers were African-American, Nielsen said. The company measures Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ and Hulu viewing that occurs through a TV set, meaning mobile streaming is not counted.

Extrapolating the streaming debut to a theatrical box office number is an inexact process. If each Prime household watched the film once all the way through its 110-minute running time, that would mean more than 12.8 million homes watched it. Even getting an exact count of Prime Video households — or Prime subscribers — is challenging, though, as Amazon keeps those numbers close to the vest. Most Prime members also don’t subscriber just for video content, another wrinkle.

121 - 140 of 164 Posts