1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
17,946 Posts
The description says it is certified for HDMI 1.2a and compatible with 1.3a. The current HDMI HARDWARE spec is 1.4 (2.0 is starting to appear). Cable mfrs are not allowed to label their cables with the HARDWARE spec. IOW, an "HDMI 1.3" cable. They are supposed to indicate that is a certified High Speed HDMI cable which covers all of the hardware spec versions. Speaking of certification, high speed, passive, HDMI cables are certifiable for lengths only up to 25'. The description is misleading. That doesn't mean that your cable won't work at 35', but if you have issues, it would be nice to be able to rule out your cable knowing that you have the correct cable in use for your purposes. Are you installing the cable inside of a wall? If you are, you'd be best to run conduit and possibly think about running CAT-6. Replacing an in-wall HDMI cable can be very problematic. And, with the HDMI specs changing, the use of CAT-6 would certainly "future-proof" your connection needs for a long time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Otto. The current cable is installed inside the wall. If it doesn't support 3d I'll have to replace, and yes it will be very problematic
. CAT-6 is a great idea. My hope is to tape and pull the old one out. I hope it doesn't come to that.

·
Registered
17,946 Posts
If your current cable works now, then it should work for 3D, but not being a fan of 3D, I don't keep up on what works well and doesn't. CAT-6/HDBase-T works with everything that I know of, and should for quite sometime, so maybe it would be best to bite the bullet and do some remodeling? We just finished up a major remodeling job so while the walls were open I had conduit and CAT-6 installed. Easy for me because it was planned for as part of the remodeling but for you?........ If you can pull cable, just make sure there aren't any sharp bends (like around corners, etc).

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Don't worry about it until you have to. Opening walls is a big job and the cable you have is rated for 1080p content, so it may work fine for 3D 1080p as well.

I would bet heavily against being able to use that cable to pull new cables. This is very rare when this is something that is possible to do. But, you certainly won't be able to pull a new HDMI cable using your old HDMI cable. Or at least that is a very unlikely expectation due to the stiff nature of the cables and any bends and/or holes the cable will need to go through. Pulling cat-6 cables (unterminated) may be possible if needed, but I'm just thinking you are likely to have good results with what you have in place already.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
17,946 Posts
^^^ thanks AV_Integrated. Yeah, I do hope his currently installed cable works like I mentioned, because opening up walls is a big, and expensive job. But if it doesn't, and he wants to "future proof" (what ever that means) at least he's aware of his options. Keeping fingers crossed that it doesn't come to that.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Interestingly... I have a client who has a Pioneer Elite display (pre Kuro) which used a DVI cable.

I put DVI to HDMI adapter on each end of the DVI cable and it worked perfectly with 3D over about a 25' run (or so) with a brand new Samsung flat panel display.

I really think that HDMI.org goes for the lowest level on these things and people over caution about what HDMI cables are capable of. I've regularly seen HDMI perform well at 35', 50', and further distances with 1080p content, including 1080p/60. But, I still always pull cat-5e/6 when the walls are open if I can. Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It actually works flawlessly (that i can tell). I was really anticipating that I would need a work around so I appreciate all the input. So for the record, my run is receiver > Darbee > PTC HDMI > Epson 5030. Fortunately if I would have needed to pull cable there were very few turns and most of the run is in the attic. Now I may add a splitter....I'm determined to make it not work
. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts