AVS Forum banner

701 - 720 of 791 Posts

·
Registered
12,879 Posts
I don't understand your comment "took it off wifi"?
I believe he is referencing the fact that WiFi (Recast to the router / router to the Fire TV / Recast to the Fire TV) can influence the image quality. Also under some conditions the Fire TV will automatically connect to the Recast's WiFi even if it's configured for Ethernet... you can disable such in the ("Disable Congestion Optimizer" ) 711 page.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am really sick of the Recast skipping recordings that is says it will record. At this point, it has become clear to me I am not going to be able to go OTA-only for locals. The Recast will become my backup in case YouTube TV misses something or has a retransmission dispute. If the Tablo or AirTV had better tuners, I could have gone with them and perhaps avoided this hassle, but they both sucked at pulling in my local channels. Unfortunately, with this kind of black box (literally) it gives you no log of why it skipped a recording, so I don't even have any feedback to give Amazon support beyond "it should have recorded this, but it didn't."

I have had this happen also on one recording of many, on the same channel and network. (Fix) Go to your "schedule menu" and click the "options menu" or (Hamburger menu), the very top item will indicate the actual channel and network meant to record. If it is not coming from the correct channel and network delete it and reschedule the proper one.
If I remember correctly, i did this this twice or maybe a reboot in between before it held. It seems odd it happened, because of all the other recording on that particular channel recorded fine. I guess I could have scheduled the wrong slot on the menu by accident but i really don't think so.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I had a similar issue with an NBC program I had set up as a series recording. I went to recorded items to watch the show and got some completely other program. I checked the scheduled recordings and all was well, but it did it again and the same other program was recorded. Started looking at everything and decided to re-scan my channels. What I saw when I looked at the results was a channel marked NBC that definitely was not an NBC Channel. There wasn't anyway to correct it on my end so I "Hid" that channel. no problems since regarding NBC shows recording correctly. Maybe this can help.
Interesting. However, I only have the big 5 networks in my channel list on all of my Firesticks. Everything else is hidden. There is definitely only one NBC station in the list of available channels anyway when I checked. Most other NBC shows record fine, and I have the issue on other channels too, just less commonly.

I have had this happen also on one recording of many, on the same channel and network. (Fix) Go to your "schedule menu" and click the "options menu" or (Hamburger menu), the very top item will indicate the actual channel and network meant to record. If it is not coming from the correct channel and network delete it and reschedule the proper one.
If I remember correctly, i did this this twice or maybe a reboot in between before it held. It seems odd it happened, because of all the other recording on that particular channel recorded fine. I guess I could have scheduled the wrong slot on the menu by accident but i really don't think so.
Thanks! I followed your directions. When I go to the scheduled screen (assuming there is only one), I don't see the channel number (should be WRAL 5.1) listed for the upcoming recording I expect to fail, only the network (NBC). I checked several other scheduled recordings and don't see the channel number listed on any of them. It does say "Start watching WRAL now" when I press the hamburger button, but no channel is listed in the Recording Options screen. I have attached some screen shots, so you can compare to what you see. Please let me know if I am missing something.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Missing channels that are found in the scan

Has anyone run into an issue with the Recast not showing channels in the channel management/guide after a scan?

It finds 52 channels but then only shows 51 available (screen shots attached). The one missing is of course the one I want, WGBH-HD in Boston (lo VHF - 2.1 - after the repack mess). My Tablo and basic OTA tuner all pick it up (all 52 channels) with very high signal quality. I've done tons of rescans using both the Fire stick and the iOS app.

It seems as if the Recast has some sort of bug where it is removing a channel (duplicate metadata?). Sadly, with so little information that the Recast provides, I am having a hard time figuring out why this channel doesn't show up and Amazon technical support has been abysmal so far.

Tried a factory reset. Antenna is Winegard YA7000C with Winegard LNA-200, very confident this is not a signal issue.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you receive WGBX? It's 44.1 and may have some problem with its PSIP.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGBH-TV
I do, 44.1 comes in hot and clear. Because it is multiplexed, maybe the recast is incorrectly deduping it? Or maybe multiplexed signals are not handled correctly by the Recast at all? I did not realize that 44.1 and 2.1 were setup like this, thanks for the link. Can anyone confirm if they have multiplexed channels that both come in on the Recast? Maybe this gives me some additional information to provide to Amazon support and hopefully it would reach the engineers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do, 44.1 comes in hot and clear. Because it is multiplexed, maybe the recast is incorrectly deduping it? Or maybe multiplexed signals are not handled correctly by the Recast at all? I did not realize that 44.1 and 2.1 were setup like this, thanks for the link. Can anyone confirm if they have multiplexed channels that both come in on the Recast? Maybe this gives me some additional information to provide to Amazon support and hopefully it would reach the engineers.
Excuse my ignorance, not well versed in OTA broadcasting systems. It looks like many signals are multiplexed (WCVB-TV 5.1 and 5.2 both come in).

What was your thinking with the PSIP? It seems like they are unique according to wikipedia and I believer they were when I checked the metadata on my other tuners.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Since I don't have OTA or a Recast, I search for information in other places. Probably the vast majority of stations are multiplexed anymore. Four years ago my NBC and CBS channels had no sub-channels. Now each has four and their PQ is pretty poor. What struck me as odd was that the .1 channel is SD and the .2 is HD, opposite of what I usually find. PSIP: just a guess. You may wonder why I even care. Even with cable, my broadcast channels start at the same place as someone who lives two miles from the towers. But unless I move, the chances of receiving OTA are zero without a 500' tower. :) My zipcode is 17921. Pick any web site and see my OTA signals.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Back on August 14 I posted about my problems with a Recast receiving PBS (VHF 8). Short version, the problem is gone. I can only believe it was a peculiarity in the signal PBS was transmitting that caused some, but not all, tuners (TV, Tablo fine, Recast not) to choke. Two days ago, all my problems disappeared with no effort on my part.

Tricky things, these digital OTA signals.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I continue to run into annoyances with the Recast. The Home screen is a mess, with promoted programs, suggested apps, and the like. To get back to an app we actually use, like PBS, we end up having to select "All Apps", scroll through them all, and then select it.

80% of our viewing is on four different apps. Is there a way to make them ALWAYS sticky so they ALWAYS are at the front? I'm tempted to give up on the Recast, even though we think it's fine as a DVR. I'm just disappointed in the user experience with so much junk always appearing.

·
Registered
15,084 Posts
I've never had my chosen app order not stick. Realize the first row on Home changes to last used. The second row keeps the app order you choose when you arrange your apps on the all apps screen.

This issue really has nothing to do with Recast but rather with Fire TV itself.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
I continue to run into annoyances with the Recast. The Home screen is a mess, with promoted programs, suggested apps, and the like. To get back to an app we actually use, like PBS, we end up having to select "All Apps", scroll through them all, and then select it.

80% of our viewing is on four different apps. Is there a way to make them ALWAYS sticky so they ALWAYS are at the front? I'm tempted to give up on the Recast, even though we think it's fine as a DVR. I'm just disappointed in the user experience with so much junk always appearing.
This is a FireTV thing, not Recast. Click the menu button on any app and you can pin it to the front position. You can also re-order all the apps as a group by using the "move" command. Most apps can also be uninstalled if you don't want them there.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This is a FireTV thing, not Recast. Click the menu button on any app and you can pin it to the front position. You can also re-order all the apps as a group by using the "move" command. Most apps can also be uninstalled if you don't want them there.

Yes, it's a Fire TV thing. Can the recast stream to any other type of device? I don't think so, and that's a weakness of this ecosystem.

The apps don't stay where I want. I will look to see if I can pin the top five apps we use all the time. I know I can move them, but its tiresome doing that all the time. I may re-install my Roku and just use the Recast / DVR menu on the Fire TV.

Or find a hack for the home screen on the Fire TV.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I don't understand why you have to keep moving them. The ones on the second row stay put. Are you constantly installing new apps that get pushed to the top?

This^^ with one caveat: On two occasions a new Amazon App (like News) has shown up at the front of the list. It was simple to move it to the bottom of the list, but it was a tad annoying. Now that Roku has added a mute button to their remotes and I use YTTV most of the time anyway, I kind of wish I hadn't gone down the Recast/Firestick road.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This^^ with one caveat: On two occasions a new Amazon App (like News) has shown up at the front of the list. It was simple to move it to the bottom of the list, but it was a tad annoying. Now that Roku has added a mute button to their remotes and I use YTTV most of the time anyway, I kind of wish I hadn't gone down the Recast/Firestick road.

News is one of the apps. Amazon apps like Music are another. I've moved them several times and my wife, the only other user, swears she isn't using these apps.

I did see a hack for a different launcher to replace the Home screen on the Fire TV. I may try that.

·
Registered
15,084 Posts
News is one of the apps. Amazon apps like Music are another. I've moved them several times and my wife, the only other user, swears she isn't using these apps.
Yeah, those will pop to the top. But that happens very rarely. Sounded like you were having to re-arrange ALL the time and that your order didn't stick. This isn't really the case.

Yes, I have encountered the same annoying thing regarding those 2 apps. It took literally 15 seconds to move those apps. Not really a big deal. If that's your biggest issue with Recast, you're lucky. I have tons of actual issues - instability, loss of connectivity, poor picture quality, missed recordings, bad guide data, poor Pluto integration, bogus weak signal popups, etc.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yeah, those will pop to the top. But that happens very rarely. Sounded like you were having to re-arrange ALL the time and that your order didn't stick. This isn't really the case.

It happens frequently; at least once a week. I think there are promotional issues underlying it. There's a related irritant in that the Fire TV doesn't keep track of the last watched episode of shows we are watching automatically; you have to remove "season one" and add "season two" to the watchlist for it to keep track. And then it usually restarts an old episode. The Amazon app on Roku always did a great job of remembering what you had watched without having to go into "Seasons & Episodes" and selecting the next one.

The other complaint is the lack of channel numbers when looking at a recording on the Recast; I have three PBS stations that are all referred to as "PBS". I did see a channel selector at one time for recording a show, but can't seem to get back to it for shows already recorded. So I've hidden the duplicate PBS stations to try and see which one is giving me reception problems.

701 - 720 of 791 Posts