AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
You know, somewhere is some Alt Universe, people do not like binge watching :) and are discussing this great show episode by episode.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I finished the 10 episodes, and I will post my thoughts in the spoiler tag below ..
** Since many people are discussing how to post/discuss "binge" shows, one idea would be to simply name a thread something like " Show Name - Binge completed (w/Spoilers) " .. This of course would only be discussions assuming the full season run has been watched ...

Now for My Show thoughts:
I very much enjoyed the show, and hope there is another season soon..
A few thoughts:
I wish they explained/developed the idea just a bit more, of "why" our main character ( and some others), "flipped out", and quickly changed her life, simply after watching an old (seemingly fictitious) newsreel once.
It would be more logical if her motivation for joining the resistance and helping them in these episodes were because the gvmt killed her sister, or whatever, but she always seemed to use the mention of "the film" as the most important reason ..
I wish they would have spent a couple of mins on "why" seeing that old newsreel, drove her to all this, what "heroin" was in that original newsreel ... ...
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the late 1960's Dark Shadows had a plotline where the Main character Barnabas Collins used I-Ching sticks to travel back in time.. Barnabas' body remained in the present , while his "mind" entered his 1796 body ..
A good guess regarding the ending would be the Trade Minister's body remains in his 1962 "present" while he travels to the alternate reality ( I believe they hinted this in a couple of eps where his assistant was trying to "get his attention" as he "daydreamed" in his office...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Are people afraid to post a dissenting opinion??? I am probably in the minority.

The concept is great I admit but the execution is slow and plodding here. You need to give me something to make it past episode 3. If this picks up past episode 5 or 6 well congrats. Too many other things to watch - like paint dry. The dialogue is thin. The characters are a snoozefest.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
I still haven't revisited the series since the premier episode. I did see on the "news" tonight that they did an ad campaign in NY by turning a sub car into a big advert, emblazoned with the eagle/us flag and rising sun/us flag things emblazoned inside and out (even covering seats). Apparently Amazon has yanked the ads. NY is not the place to bandy Nazi symbolism in....shoulda done that just about anywhere else than NY, but generally crazy stupid IMO.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I watched the first 2 episodes and will continue with the rest. I really like it. I never read the book, but love the concept and execution of it in the series.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
I watched the first 2 episodes and will continue with the rest. I really like it. I never read the book, but love the concept and execution of it in the series.
Was a very good book, but then I think almost everything Dick wrote was good. Even tho Dick's works have become the basis of quite a few films now, I still want to see better translations than most I can think of....and from the pilot not sure this is gonna do it for me but I'll give a few more episodes a shot soon.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I finished it, and am almost speechless.

My suggestion is, if you are part way through, and not pleased, just jump to the final episode. You will finally see the High Castle. And, in my opinion, save yourself many hours.

If this is the best of Amazon, they are still behind Netflix/HBO/Showtime/AMC.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
OK, I watched it and enjoyed it. If the movie would have explained what The Grasshopper Lies Heavy referred to, I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more and the ending would have made more sense.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Finished this and won't be bothering if they make any more. Good thing it was free.
More style than substance, and no characters are really that interesting or likable.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Are people afraid to post a dissenting opinion??? I am probably in the minority.

The concept is great I admit but the execution is slow and plodding here. You need to give me something to make it past episode 3. If this picks up past episode 5 or 6 well congrats. Too many other things to watch - like paint dry. The dialogue is thin. The characters are a snoozefest.
I had a hard time, but I pushed on through, not a football fan and no NBA today, so I settled in for the whole thing. It was awfully slow and plodding, it finally got interesting to me in the latter stages, but it was a struggle. I liked the first couple of eps, and I liked the last 2 or 3, the middle was too slow and dry.

It might have been more interesting if I hadn't seen the first two eps and started the binge from the start.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
It might have been more interesting if I hadn't seen the first two eps and started the binge from the start.
I had watched the first two episode but forgot details by the time the rest were released. I went back and watched all of them and it helps a bit. Still, if you want much more understanding, Google The Grasshopper Lies Heavy.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
OK, I watched it and enjoyed it. If the movie would have explained what The Grasshopper Lies Heavy referred to, I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more and the ending would have made more sense.
They did explain it, it's a reference to the Bible, Ecclesiastes 12:5 (which Juliana mistakenly thought referred to the time she was supposed to meet her contact in Canon City).

That said, I think the show was well done but misfired by not being weird enough. The PKD novel haunted me for years after I finished it.
What happens to Tagomi at the end actually occurs about 2/3rds of the way through in the book. What occurs in the end of the novel is that Juliana meets the Man in the High Castle--who lives in Colorado and is not Hitler--and discovers that it is the i-Ching that wrote The Grasshopper Lies Heavy. She throws the i-Ching sticks to learn the "truth" of the novel and finds that it is true, that somehow Germany and Japan lost the war (even though The Grasshopper Lies Heavy does not describe our world, but another reality in which the Allies won and the Axis lost. She leaves the Castle and it's unclear if she is walking out into her world or the world of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy. It is an ambiguous, haunting, and challenging ending to a fantastic novel.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Watched it yesterday. Feels a lot like a PBS drama with some profanity and nudity added. Moved along very slowly. Some characters are great to watch while others are intolerable.

Don't really know what the fuss is about.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Loved the whole thing - it had a very Millennium feel to it throughout that I really missed.

What was amazing about the writing was that

By episode ten, the writers actually got you to hope for the assassination of Adolf Hitler to fail - that takes a lot.

Also looked completely spectacular in UHD 4K/HDR.

41 - 60 of 397 Posts