AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:
Looks like their streaming device will be a HDMI dongle with gaming streaming capabilities. Pretty much a Chromecast that streams PC gaming. I expected more then this. Didn't you?

-high def junkies article and photo by CC-

I was thinking a box that's OK my Roku's and PS 3 get Amazon Prime and Netflix anyway although it may be a good Chromecast alternative if it streams content without a PC or other device needed .

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If true it likely won't work with a Harmony remote (as its hidden behind the TV)

Oh well I am still looking for a good Amazon streaming device (if the Amazon streamer doesn't work with the Harmony its not the answer). Currently I have a Roku 2 connected just for Amazon (the Roku has issues with my receiver so is set for stereo). Neftlix, Vudu Hulu+ I have well covered with multiple other devices.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
If it does not have 5ghz support I wont even consider it. That is one big flaw of the Chromecast no 5ghz support. Now I don't want to hear about range issues. I have my router upstairs which I stay with all of my wireless devices. Also my TV is in the same room as my router so range is not a issue. What is a issue is the over 70 AP networks on 2.4ghz while on 5ghz there is only one other weak network.

·
Registered
7,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister  /t/1525072/amazons-streaming-device-is-a-dongle#post_24549323

I was thinking a box that's OK my Roku's and PS 3 get Amazon Prime and Netflix anyway although it may be a good Chromecast alternative if it streams content without a PC or other device needed .
Fake photo, It's a chromecast with an Amazon logo. April Fools??? There is lot of speculation on the device, but not a lot of proof at this point. Amazon will show the real thing soon enough.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
April 2nd. Glad it is not today I hate April fools day with its dumb fake news stories.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They just announced the actual box called Fire TV. Movies, TV, games, 1080p and fairly impressive specs. Will be interesting to see the adoption rate.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
^^

I ordered one for my parents. We usually have a family get together every weekend. Will be nice having the Netflix/Amazon Prime videos to entertain the kids.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet  /t/1525072/amazons-streaming-device-is-a-dongle#post_24554703

Fake photo, It's a chromecast with an Amazon logo. April Fools??? There is lot of speculation on the device, but not a lot of proof at this point. Amazon will show the real thing soon enough.

I was wondering about that ......it did look exactly like a Chrome Cast and I didn't catch the April fools thing at all, it got right by me

OTOH the specifications and features on the real Amazon Fire are e pretty good.

I wonder if you can use it without a prime membership and how intrusive are the embedded Amazon promotions ?

I have a Roku 2500HD , a new Roku 1 , PS3 + 3 networked PC's ,Amazon Prime and Netflix so I'm all set for now .

The newer Roku is reasonably fast the old one is slow but otherwise works fine .

Maybe Amazon will come out with a $50.00 stick with a reduced feature spec. maybe no voice search perhaps ?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G  /t/1525072/amazons-streaming-device-is-a-dongle#post_24563898

I love the part on that pic where it shows that the Roku does not have Dolby Digital +, I guess my receiver is lying to me when it is showing DD+ on the display while watching/using Vudu and Netflix.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber  /t/1525072/amazons-streaming-device-is-a-dongle#post_24567453

Maybe because it's not "certified". lol
Does it matter as long as it works.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice  /t/1525072/amazons-streaming-device-is-a-dongle#post_24567638

Does it matter as long as it works.

No but it makes a difference when you do some fancy chart which is always done to make your product look better than the competition.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo  /t/1525072/amazons-streaming-device-is-a-dongle#post_24567129

I love the part on that pic where it shows that the Roku does not have Dolby Digital +, I guess my receiver is lying to me when it is showing DD+ on the display while watching/using Vudu and Netflix.

I emailed Amazon to let them know their comparison chart is in error with regards to the Roku 3.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It might be because it doesn't decode Dolby Digital +, it only passes it. Your receiver has to be able to decode it. If it won't then you will only get stereo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts