AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is David and it's been my dream to build a HT from a long, long time. I remember myself going thru hours and hours on this forum and dreaming one day to have one. I remember the first time I went to HT for a Superbowl and I went with my wife by that time we were dating and I told her one day we are going to have HT like this and she laugh at me and told me no way. She told me that not because she thought we were not going to get married, but because she couldn't thing that we were going to be in a position to afford one. I could understand why she thought like that because she came from a really poor family. Since that time I had on my mind that I was going to build one. BTW, this does not mean that I can really afford one because I planning to do it myself to save a lots of money. Thanks for Cathan post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=850462 , I decided to start my post early before I even started to planned my layout. Like him is going to take a long, long time to finish building my HT, but I will try to get you guys into my journey, so please enjoy the long ride. Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will be building my HT on my Basement. Beside my HT, I will like to have a Half Bath, Laundry room and like small room with like a small dance floor. BTW I'm hispanic and when our family gets together there has to be dancing included. I would love to someone to take this dimension and help me out to create a nice layout for my HT and my other option.

Here is a link with a Video of my basement, remember this is house built in the 50's like must of the house in NJ, the house is old.
http://gallery.me.com/gomezd/100012/...Home%20Theater

. I work night shift, so I'm going to bed and waiting to get a lots of reply by the time I wake up. Thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
It looks like you can carve out a decent amount of space for a theater. Tough to see in the video, but you'll likely need to get creative to deal with the columns. Carving out room near the waterheater for the washer/dryer and for storage seems like the right approach. I suspect that having a small dance room may be a bit of a stretch. Once you add wall, the space is going to feel closed in real quick. You may be better off building one larger room that can work as a HT and double for gatherings.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/18145347

It looks like you can carve out a decent amount of space for a theater. Tough to see in the video, but you'll likely need to get creative to deal with the columns. Carving out room near the waterheater for the washer/dryer and for storage seems like the right approach. I suspect that having a small dance room may be a bit of a stretch. Once you add wall, the space is going to feel closed in real quick. You may be better off building one larger room that can work as a HT and double for gatherings.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!!

I don't know if it makes any difference, but the white space are part of the basement, I don't know if you took that space in consideration. So, basically one side of the stairs is 11'5 and the other is 9'7 and as you see the front size is 23' and also the back is. i forgot to put it on my layout. Thanks for your comment, I also thought about having the HT and the double for gathering.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like that, I think this is the only way that acomplish having a small dance floor and ht, and I like the wet bar beer side from the laundry. There is only one thing missing; the half bath. What's a regular size for a regular half bath?. Maybe if I move the screen to make space in the back for storage and make the storage a half bath. Also where the screen is locate, is where the electrical meter is locate. Or Maybe moving the back forward. Thank

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,590 Posts
Put the half bath where I have the bar. Then put the wet bar along the wall where I have the storage closet.

It would help the planning process if you could show the measured locations of where the pole(s) are located

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I started playing around with a CAD software name Hightdesign for Mac just to get my layout of my basement with the right size proportion. This is my current layout on my basement.

This is accurate of my basement space. Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/18151926

The right turn at the bottom of the stairs is really tight.

Yes that corner is 1'8". I think that the dance floor got to go to be able to have a nice HT, half bath and a nice storage room. At first I was like if I have to storage something I storage on my backyard shed, but there are some stuff that you don't want on the shed. Also, if I been dreaming for a long time for HT, I think I should do it in closed not like I had on the layout wide open.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
That's a layout I like. I would think about moving the bar and just make it sit right against the by the laundry room. It may be distracting to look at it while watching a movie. Not sure what value is added by being able to stand behind the bar. Also plan for an AT screen with a screen wall. that will allow you to hide the gas meter.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Not to break your wallet, but you can also use this opportunity to ditch the water tank and go with a on-demand system. They take almost no space and don't require much replumping. Just connect to any 3/4" hot water pipe.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,590 Posts

Shorten the laundry/storage by two feet and then put an adult snack bar along the wall in the recess. If you still want that island bar, put it on casters so that you can roll it out of the way for more dance room. That 4'2" inches of space in front of the boiler is wasted space unless you put in some shelving for storage

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm not sure I ever read anywhere how many people would be watching a movie at any given time? To me, that needs to be decided first.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 /forum/post/18154219

I'm not sure I ever read anywhere how many people would be watching a movie at any given time? To me, that needs to be decided first.

You're sort of right. Knowing you max viewer size is helpful, but I've never heard a complaint where someone had two large of a space to work with. It's always the opposite way around. 23' x14.5' is a great size space for the typical room that is built on this forum. Two rows of four if using Berkline type seats.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.