AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last 6 months planning and building my 1st home theater in the basement...thanks to these forums I have spent countless hours doing research, reading reviews, etc.

I am on my last major decision- the screen. I have a Panasonic 2000 projector, mounted about 15' back from a 120" screen. Seats are about 15' and 21' back. Theater area is open, and light is controllable, however, lights will almost always be on (young kids at home).

I have done research on screens, and have almost decided on the Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision. Does anyone have advice/feedback. I am would like the picture to "pop" (more concerned about brightness than black levels). I am projecting blu-rays/HDTV most of the time.

Thanks!

Josh

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I assume your projector is the PT-AE2000U, but you were not specific. Anyways that is a nice bright 1500 lumens although you are using a fairly large screen.

The other possible choice would be the High Contrast Matte White which in spite of the name is very similar to High Contrast Cinema Vision. Both fabrics have a viewing cone of 50 degrees and a gain of 1.1. The base color on the HCMW is a lighter gray and it produces brighter whites and also brighter blacks - whereas the HCCV produces dimmer whites and deeper blacks. I mention this because you indicated your #1 consideration was brightness.

I use a HCMW screen with an older 1000-lumen LCD projector with a much lower contrast than your Panasonic, and I like it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
what about directional lights on a dimmer. placed behind you so you dont get that light distraction and aimed at the floor. Of course I don't know you set up in detail but could this work? My wife thinks she needs to crochet while watching a movie. She does not understand total dark.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Well I understand that problem, my wife considers video a part time activity to be accompanied by reading, snacking, or telephone. The answer is that all such activities are incompatible with near total darkness which is your proper objective. I tried the partial light compromise and was never happy with it.

If she must do something else while viewing, I would setup another area with a flatscreen HDTV in another room. This may sound extreme but lighted activities have no more place in a home theater than in a public theater.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki /forum/post/14289398

Isnt the HCMW and the HCCV basically the same except one is for non tensioned screens and the other is for tensions screens?

That could be - but they don't look the same, there are the gray color differences I mentioned, I've seen sample fabrics at a local screen dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct about the PT-AE2000U. I have 3 sets of lights, all on dimmers. 1st- 4 sconces between front row and screen. 2nd- 2 cans near screen, 3rd- 2 cans over each row (4 total). I couldn't put the sconces any farther back b/c it is "open". (This was the only compromise to get a HT - keep it open. Not perfect, but I'll take it!). I've heard a gray screen will reflect less ambient light, making it stand out more. Anyone think I should look at a silver screen, or is this overkill?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Basicly a gray screen reflects less light from the whites as well as the blacks, so it "enhances" blacks at the expense of whites. Then a white screen enhances whites at the expense of blacks. In truth both the HCMW and HCCV fabrics are on the white side.

A truly gray fabric like the Video Spectra 1.5 would be better if you can keep the ambient lighting coming from off-axis sources like the side sconces you mentioned. It would also be of benefit if you could keep light sources in the room behind the projector further away from the extended center axis of the theater room.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback. As I research more, I continue to read about the Stewart Firehawk. I think a gray screen with a bit higher gain is what I'm looking for. Would any gray screen/higher gain be equal? Also, I've heard some companies will send samples of the material- anyone know who/how to contact someone for a sample?

Thanks again,

Josh

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmiller /forum/post/14288274

what about directional lights on a dimmer. placed behind you so you dont get that light distraction and aimed at the floor. Of course I don't know you set up in detail but could this work? My wife thinks she needs to crochet while watching a movie. She does not understand total dark.

That's hilarious, your wife is almost as bad as mine. Mine folds clothes, knits, makes arts and crafts, you name it...all while "watching a movie." Oh well, I guess that's why I go to the mall with her then go to the home theater store, no?

Before buying the Firehawk go see one in person (many Magnolia's have one), they're nice but the whites aren't as white as a lighter grey screen, I prefer the Elite lite grey for 1/4 the price but its personal preference. You also might check out a VUTEC Silverstar (which I havne't seen) but its a silver substrate with a 3.0 gain material (listed at 6.0 but measures much lower).

·
Registered
412 Posts
ever thought of diy. The Black Widow over in the diy screen section would fill your needs. great ambient light screen with deep black and nice white.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
before the posts were lost, someone mentioned they were in my exact scenario, and went with the Stewart Firehawk and have never looked back. I think I've decided to go that route, but i have 2 remaining questions:

1- Where is the best place to find a dealer?

2- My width sunk in screen area is 110" wide- I think a 120" screen has 111" width with frame. Does Stewart have 2" frames, or custom sizes available?

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangle187 /forum/post/14438119

before the posts were lost, someone mentioned they were in my exact scenario, and went with the Stewart Firehawk and have never looked back. I think I've decided to go that route, but i have 2 remaining questions:

2- My width sunk in screen area is 110" wide- I think a 120" screen has 111" width with frame. Does Stewart have 2" frames, or custom sizes available?

Call AV Science, the forum sponsors. They deliver excellent service at excellent prices. They're at 877-823-4452 and 585-454-1460.

Don't know about the custom frame sizes.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangle187 /forum/post/14438119

Wrangle,

to tell you the truth, you will be better off with the smaller size. More light is being focused onto a smaller amount of square footage. Stewart can pretty much do anything you need!!!! You do not have to go with a standard size, in fact, if you do a custom size smaller than a standard, you will save money since Stewart charges by the amount of material being used. Every screen is made to order, only a little stock is kept and that's for their quickship program. Frame sizes are 3.25" (plus 1/16" for thickness of velux) for the Deluxe frame and 1.5" (+1/16" for thickness of velux) for the regular SN frame. If you need a thicker frame, a custom frame can be ordered, although there's a slight upcharge since you would be using more material.

let me know if you are interested in samples, i can have one sent out ASAP.

-Benito

1 - 16 of 16 Posts