AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
both are a complete waste, the 890GX gains SATAIII, but loses ACC and the new ion is going to have the regular on-chip graphics and the ion graphics, plus it's own memory, way to burn up ALL the(minimal) power savings of the new cpus.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18243116

both are a complete waste, the 890GX gains SATAIII, but loses ACC and the new ion is going to have the regular on-chip graphics and the ion graphics, plus it's own memory, way to burn up ALL the(minimal) power savings of the new cpus.

If you're wanting to unlock cores with ACC, you can still do it with some 890GX MBs even though they don't have ACC. Especially ASROCK.

Here.

Here.

& Here.

BT

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 /forum/post/18246085

If you're wanting to unlock cores with ACC, you can still do it with some 890GX MBs even though they don't have ACC. Especially ASROCK.

Here.

Here.

& Here.

BT

Until I find out how the boards are actually doing the unlocking without the ACC code provided by AMD I'll not count it as remotely the same. Even IF it does end up working as reliably, it's still not ACC, so the point remains, AMD further variated from their very open past by disabling a feature that they created in the name of keeping people from getting more for less, in order to hopefully help their bottom line. I miss my unlocked Barton 2500+ mobile.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18243116

the new ion is going to have the regular on-chip graphics and the ion graphics, plus it's own memory, way to burn up ALL the(minimal) power savings of the new cpus.

I think you've got that backwards. By switching between the G210 and crappy Intel GPUs, ION2 can be much more efficient than the original ION. It's great for netbook buyers, but frankly, I don't see why a HTPC user would even bother with the Intel graphics at all. Is a couple watts really worth the hassle?

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighick /forum/post/18247712

Its not like you can unlock everything anyway... i have a unlockable 550.

Pretty much my point. IIRC, you were limited even with ACC, some boards could unlock cores and some could not. Asus and ASROCK have taken it upon themselves to allow their customers to do this regardless of whether ACC is present or not. We will surely find out about others as the chipset matures and more MBs are released.

This is exactly the reason I don't jump on tech as soon as it is released. Immature drivers and other issues can destroy a products rep before it can even get started. How many times have we seen poor reviews on a PRE-released piece of hardware using beta drivers, only to find the product to be top notch once everything is completely released.

BT

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/18247379

I think you've got that backwards. By switching between the G210 and crappy Intel GPUs, ION2 can be much more efficient than the original ION. It's great for netbook buyers, but frankly, I don't see why a HTPC user would even bother with the Intel graphics at all. Is a couple watts really worth the hassle?

Actually, the integrated graphics of Atom can't be shut off, you're going to be switching between having ION on or ION off and while ION is on it will load it's processed images into the frame buffer of the Atom for the integrated screen, or output them directly over HDMI, depending on what screen you're using. It will use less power when surfing the web or playing music, but as soon as you hop into playing video, which would be the only reason you've bought ION, then it kicks on the nVidia gpu and you're burning power for one Idle CPU, one idle GPU and one active GPU.

And quite frankly intels latest HD graphics is a fair competitor in the HTPC space, it's just not integrated into Atom, and without demand, it never will.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyD /forum/post/18240223

http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+890GX+N...ticle17808.htm

WTF?

--------------------------------------

"AMD's new 890GX chipset is aimed squarely at the HTPC enthusiast looking to build an HD capable machine on a budget and incorporates the ATI Radeon HD 4920 integrated GPU. The chipset is DirectX 10.1 complaint".

For the HTPC crowd; is it?

Where is the 5XXX chipset with PAP?

What use is another 4000 chipset?

AMD has had IGP HD video decoding since 780G (HD3200) and then we had the 790 (HD3300) and then the 785 (HD4200), big fiasco there. And now we have the 890GX (HD4920).

HD video capability is the same as ever, no matter how much they sugar coat and paint it. For HTPC users, the 7.1 PCM over HDMI in the 4000 series and now the PAP in the 5000 series, is the big selling point.

If AMD is serious about targeting the HTPC users they needed to have an IGP with PAP; Ã* la Intel's H55.

·
Registered
837 Posts
They want people to buy 5000 series videocards. If they can always use onboard video there's no reason for lower end cards and ATI's out of money.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18250085

They want people to buy 5000 series videocards. If they can always use onboard video there's no reason for lower end cards and ATI's out of money.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Business decision and they are running a business after all.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'd rather not have onboard video in support of lower board prices. It seems like everythings getting away from "building" a machine to buying one and screwing it in. Boards with builtin GPU's and CPU's, soon they'll have builtin RAM and SSD's. I think its great for laptops but when building a PC I'd like choices and ability to upgrade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts