AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can help me with my dilema. Hello. I have the above listed equipt. in a system I built, using windows 7. My intent, was and still is, is to have to seperate capable video systems available from my one pc and a little confused at what is going on, or what I am doing wrong. I most likely do not have the correct hardware.

What I want is to be able to run movies to my t.v, with a vga hook up as well as running another t.v. remotely, with say hdmi. My intent is to have the a8-3850 for one video source, and also a newly installed GeForce GT 520 for my other video source. I want this set up to be independent from each other, as if though it were to sepate pc's. Windows is currently recognizing the geforce vid card, as this is what is driving my flat monitor. When i go to install the catalyst ati for the a8-3850 onboard graphics, it apparently is not allowed.

Could somebody please explain to me, what I need to do, to make this work?

It was mentioned by a tech at AMD today, that I should have gotten the same type of chipset of video card, that matched the amd/asus stuff, and not have bought the geforce.

I thought I did my research prior to...but apparently I did not.

Thank you for any direction...DM

·
Registered
764 Posts
Not a good plan attempting to use 2 graphics cards from different manufacturers on the same PC at the same time. You can easily run 2 displays on the A8 graphics alone and pan them so that you see what you want on each screen, but even then I don't know if you would be happy. It sounds like you want to view movies/video on 2 TVs at once controlled by a single PC. You would have to have 2 different media players going at the same time (one on each display). You could probably make the video work, but the audio would be a nightmare. I'm sure someone here has tried this and may be able to help you out.

IMHO, Your best bet may be to make a low-budget client PC to control the other display so that they are completely independent. You can share all movies/videos through your home network. Much less of a headache.

BT

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm pulling the geforce and just using the onboard. No way to do this, as the audio would not work. Only one source of output. Onward!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(cut/paste)

The HDMI audio is part of the AMD graphics and works independently of any other audio device...

AMD A8-3850 APU review
http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-a8-3850-apu-review/7

The HDMI audio is part and controlled by the APU, where the onboard audio is totally separate and controlled by the chipset. In essence you have two totally separate sound cards in the computer, and when configured properly can both be used at the same time.

So I should be able to make this work. This technology is grand!

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmax /forum/post/20863830

(cut/paste)

The HDMI audio is part of the AMD graphics and works independently of any other audio device...

AMD A8-3850 APU review
http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-a8-3850-apu-review/7

The HDMI audio is part and controlled by the APU, where the onboard audio is totally separate and controlled by the chipset. In essence you have two totally separate sound cards in the computer, and when configured properly can both be used at the same time.

So I should be able to make this work. This technology is grand!

The hardware is there, but will Windows do your bidding? There lies the question! I could be wrong, but I think most media software uses the Windows default audio device. And, there can be only one.

BT

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmax /forum/post/20860149

My intent is to have the a8-3850 for one video source, and also a newly installed GeForce GT 520 for my other video source. I want this set up to be independent from each other, as if though it were to sepate pc's. Windows is currently recognizing the geforce vid card, as this is what is driving my flat monitor. When i go to install the catalyst ati for the a8-3850 onboard graphics, it apparently is not allowed.

Could somebody please explain to me, what I need to do, to make this work?

EFI BIOS Settings > Advanced > NB Configuration > IGFX Multi-Monitor [Enabled]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmax /forum/post/20860149

It was mentioned by a tech at AMD today, that I should have gotten the same type of chipset of video card, that matched the amd/asus stuff, and not have bought the geforce.

That's perfectly wrong. Windows 7 is designed to support two GPUs of different manufacturers simultaneously ( Heterogeneous Multi-Adapter ).

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20867282

That's perfectly wrong. Windows 7 is designed to support two GPUS of different manufacturers simultaneously ( Heterogeneous Multi-Adapter ).

Provided he gets the video setup, any idea how the audio will be worked out? If I understand him correctly he wants to be able to view different video/audio on each display simultaneously.

Sorry, but this intrigues the crap out of me.

BT

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:

That's perfectly wrong. Windows 7 is designed to support two GPUS of different manufacturers simultaneously ( Heterogeneous Multi-Adapter ).

i need to have a look in the bios for this setting. when i went to install the chipset drivers for the mobo, which has the ati catalyst, it will not appear on desktop, with right click. it is not there, so I am unable to "enable" the amd graphic. dunno what to think. what you're telling me...is that this geforce 520silent should work with the A8-3850.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 /forum/post/20867489

Provided he gets the video setup, any idea how the audio will be worked out? If I understand him correctly he wants to be able to view different video/audio on each display simultaneously.

Sorry, but this intrigues the crap out of me.

BT

You will see six audio playback devices in Sound control panel:

- AMD High Definition Audio Device

- NVIDIA High Definition Audio Device

- Speakers

- Headphones

- Digital Audio (S/PDIF)

- Digital Audio (S/PDIF)

The latter four come from the onboard audio codec (I am not sure why two S/PDIF). You can use any of them and any of the two displays freely to play back a video, and you can use any of the remaining five audio devices and the other display to play back another video (simultaneously of course). For example,
 PlayerDisplay deviceAudio device
Video 1PowerDVDDisplay 1 connected to AMDNVIDIA HD audio
Video 2MPC HCDisplay 2 connected to NVIDIAAMD HD audio
is possible. Yes, HDMI can carry video signals from a video source and audio signals from another video source! If you connect a displays to AMD and two displays to NVIDIA, then you can even play three videos simultaneously. For example
 PlayerDisplay deviceAudio device
Video 1PowerDVDDisplay 1 connected to AMDNVIDIA HD audio 1
Video 2MPC HCDisplay 2 connected to NVIDIANVIDIA HD audio 2
Video 3WMCDisplay 3 connected to NVIDIAAMD HD audio
NVIDIA HDMI supports dual audio streams. NVIDIA VP supports dual 1080p video stream decoding (apart from weak post-processing of GT 520). However AMD supports only one video/audio stream (actually you can play two 1080p/i videos, but you will see heavy stuttering; well you can use DXVA for a video and CPU for another without stuttering!).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:

That's perfectly wrong. Windows 7 is designed to support two GPUs of different manufacturers simultaneously ( Heterogeneous Multi-Adapter ).

NB configuration? I just looked in there and don't see that. Most everything in advanced, is enabled.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Do you see this?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20870551

Do you see this?

ok, i found that area, enable the top one IGFX multimonitor. ok, when windows booted, screen is black. monitor is and has been connected to the geforce card. (all other setting within NB are auto) Turned off pc, reconnected monitor to mobo vga and got video.

Appears to be one or the other at this point.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
restarted windows and pc locks up. safe mode and can not right click on screen and to enter catalyist ati. at this point i am convinced...that the geforce card is causing the hang-up. i will ck back here in a few hrs to see what your recomend might be. i next step is to removed geforce card and see if i can at least get the onboard gpu to work. thx for helping me. dm

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Did you install AMD 11.8 driver/VISION Engine Control Center (Catalyst Software Suite 32-bit , 64-bit )? If not, remove GT 520, uninstall the older Catalyst (all components), then install 11.8. Make sure HD 6550D works fine. (In safe mode, AMD VISION Engine Control Center won't work.) BTW A75 chipset driver is included in the CD-ROM (the graphics driver there is older).

Then insert GT 520 (assuming 280.26 driver is already installed), connect a display to each GPU, start the system with IGFX Multi-Monitor [Enabled]. If Windows started successfully (only one display may work), then right click the desktop, click "Screen resolution", select "Multiple displays: Extend these displays". If both displays work, then you can adjust each display (resolution, refresh rate, video properties etc.) via AMD VISION Engine Control Center and NVIDIA Control Center.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx
Did you install AMD 11.8 driver/VISION Engine Control Center (Catalyst Software Suite 32-bit , 64-bit )? If not, remove GT 520, uninstall the older Catalyst (all components), then install 11.8. Make sure HD 6550D works fine. (In safe mode, AMD VISION Engine Control Center won't work.) BTW A75 chipset driver is included in the CD-ROM (the graphics driver there is older).

Then insert GT 520 (assuming 280.26 driver is already installed), connect a display to each GPU, start the system with IGFX Multi-Monitor [Enabled]. If Windows started successfully (only one display may work), then right click the desktop, click "Screen resolution", select "Multiple displays: Extend these displays". If both displays work, then you can adjust each display (resolution, refresh rate, video properties etc.) via AMD VISION Engine Control Center and NVIDIA Control Center.
No, I did not install 11.8. When I built this thing, I had already installed the geforce. Then I installed the momo chipset drivers (which you mentioned were on the CD, and this is where I sit. I will follow your instruction, soon.

Should I uninstall the Nividia CD, that I completely installed from the get go?

Also, I need to make mention of something. When I 1st build machine, 1 month ago, one dimm slot was tits up. I removed mobo and was replaced with anew. I did not reinstall windows. I just plugged everything back into new mobo and here we are. "If" you think I need to completely redo the HD, I really have no problem doing so, as machine is not loaded down with much and is a quick project. I'd rather do it now, as to hate myself later. Please advise and thank you kindly for your support.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
When installing the new NVIDIA driver, make sure to uninstall the previous driver. You can also select "Custom" installation and check "Clean installation", that removes all registry settings.

Recommended installation order is

- Remove all peripherals except for the keyboard/mouse/display. Attach only the OS drive.

- Install Windows (reformatting the partition where you install Windows)

- Install hardware drivers.

-- LAN driver first (CD-ROM) if you want to download Catalyst 11.8.

-- Catalyst Software Suite 11.8 (download)

-- Chipset driver (CD-ROM)

-- Onboard audio driver (CD-ROM)

-- ASMedia SATA 3.0 driver (CD-ROM)

- Install

-- directx_Jun2010_redist

-- dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64 (not always necessary, though)

-- Java runtime (not always necessary, though)

-- Antivirus software

- Install all Windows updates.

- Shutdown the system. Attach GT 520. Start the system and install NVIDIA 280.26 driver.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I am reformatting the drive, I don't have to remove and nividia drivers?

(caught me off guard with that)

Ok, this huricane weather has gotten me working odd hrs in Indiana. Let me get some sleep and I'll get to this asap.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Reformatting means all data (system files, drivers, applications, personal files etc.) go away.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20876222

Reformatting means all data (system files, drivers, applications, personal files etc.) go away.

I know this. You mentioned resinstalling nividia driver a couple posts ago. Was not sure what you meant, as If I wipe the drive, it would be irrelevant. I plan on having the latest driver for nividia on a usb stick and only install the newest and nothing from it's included cd.

I'll post back when I get this finsihed. It'll be a couple days. Thx and have a good weekend.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Uninstalling the older driver, then installing the new one is a general procedure when updating hardware driver. That's what I meant.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts