AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one of the first 3800 X2 this week and I thought I can share the first impression with you:

Overclocking:

As we need each MHZ for ffdshow, this one was crucial. I came from a A64 Newcastle which I could overclock with a Scythe NCU 2005 air cooler from stock 2000 Mhz to 2350 Mhz at reasonable temps (not more than 70 degree celsius). Now, the 3800 comes with a stock speed of 2000 Mhz and it runs with normal voltage stabile at 2400 Mhz. at 1.45V (+0.15V), it runs stabile at 2500 Mhz, the limit still needs to be tested, so maybe 2600 or more is possible. Temps not more than 60 degree celsius.

Performance in ZP without ffdshow:

ZP nicely destributes the load over both cores.

Performance in ZP with ffdshow:

One core works like hell, the other one relaxes.

Performance Nero Recode:

Impressive. In the High-quality pre-analysis 1250 frames per second.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am still testing the C'nQ-thing on this one. I used to use CPUID for CnQ as you have much more flexibilty which voltage / multiplier you use, but it seem that CPUID isnot fully update to be used with this CPU...some strange things happen here.

Anyhow, CnQ becomes less of a topic if the default value of the CPU is 1.3V and you can only go down to 1.1V with CnQ. This does not help that much. BUt: This one is overclocked with two cores cooler than my old Newcastle alone.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
any overclocking guide for the a64 tells you NOT to enable C n' Q if overclocking. When the box throttles down the volts, the cpu crashes if overclocked.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Not surprised on FFDShow, it's not multi-threaded

·
Registered
43 Posts
In order for the X2 to show. U need to make sure ur board supports it (some does, but u need to upgrade bios first to make use of second core). You also need Win XP w/ SP2 to see the second core. Hope this helps. (No need to reinstall xp)

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
somebody should remake ffdshow for dual core... if one thing drastically needs dual core ffdshow is it.

Id probably be forced to upgrade my amd64 to an X2 if there was a dual core ffdshow.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiblitz
I got one of the first 3800 X2 this week and I thought I can share the first impression with you:

Overclocking:

As we need each MHZ for ffdshow, this one was crucial. I came from a A64 Newcastle which I could overclock with a Scythe NCU 2005 air cooler from stock 2000 Mhz to 2350 Mhz at reasonable temps (not more than 70 degree celsius). Now, the 3800 comes with a stock speed of 2000 Mhz and it runs with normal voltage stabile at 2400 Mhz. at 1.45V (+0.15V), it runs stabile at 2500 Mhz, the limit still needs to be tested, so maybe 2600 or more is possible. Temps not more than 60 degree celsius.

Performance in ZP without ffdshow:

ZP nicely destributes the load over both cores.

Performance in ZP with ffdshow:

One core works like hell, the other one relaxes.

Performance Nero Recode:

Impressive. In the High-quality pre-analysis 1250 frames per second.
How many frames were you getting with a single core processor?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was getting max 450-500 frames per second with a single core if I remember right.But this only if you need to re-code DVDs which are already on your harddisk. If you need to extract them the first time from DVD, the DVD-Drive is the limiting factor, not the CPU...

I tested 2600 Mhz at 1.45V and it crashes.

My motherboard is the Asus A8V rev2 with a 1.014 bios adn Windiws XP SP2. I saw my second core on my old XP-installation immediately, but I reinstalled my XP as it was time again (the other one was a SP1 with a Sp2 over it, whihc showed some stability issues).

The funny thing with CPUID: If I activate Multiplier Mgmt, and set at MAx a Multiplier and voltage as in the Bios of the motherboard, CPUID throttles between 1.3V and 1.67V, which is way to high. I am in contact with the developer, let's see if he wants to do something about it. The Asus 1.014 bios as well is not made for the X2 3800. SO maybe it is as well a bios issue. Nevertheless there might be an option to overclock and have a limited CnQ with CPUID.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, here now my CPUID settings after some tweaking: Overclocking and CnQ worth 10 degree celsius of temperature reduction:

- min: Multi 4, setting 1V (which gives in reality 1.3V), FSB 250 = 1000Mhz; 42-44 degree

- mid: Multi 9.5, setting 1V (which gives in reality 1.3V), FSB 250 = 2375 Mhz; 48 degree

- min: Multi 10, setting 1,2V (which gives in reality 1.45V), FSB 250 = 2500 Mhz; 53-55 degree, with both core at 100% approx 60 degree.

Higher overclocking possible, but I wanted to keep the CPU below 60 degree.

I am pretty satiesfied with the result and can advise anyone not to pay more for a X2 than what the 3800 costs.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_midnite
You mean you need to reinstall XP

:eek:

Why

:(

When you install windows its looks at all your hardware and kind of mini encodes some settings one of which is how many CPU's you have installed. When going from a one core cpu to a dual core cpu you have to reinstall in oder for dual core processing to work in XP, thats just how it works.

- Josh

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, this will not become an overclocking guide, but I lowered Htt to 800, gave the FSB 250, set the multi to 8 in the bios, left the memo bandwidth at 200 mhz, raised Vcore to 1,375 and that's it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I was hoping you would provide more information on your HTPC viewing experience with the processor. Is it 100% confirmed or known as a fact that FFDshow makes use of dual-core processor?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.