AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cheeks hurt. I've been smiling (and laughing) for the best part of two hours. Why? Just watched the French movie, Amelie (R2 french DTS with English subtitles).

What can I say. Another superb continental film.

Hollywood (and to some extent the British film industry) make some great films. Heck with the available talent and greenbacks do they have any excuse otherwise.

Even so the Hollywood (or Brit) crowd just dont make films like this. I would put this movie up there with many other continental masterpieces such as Italys 'Cinema Paradiso'.

How would I describe 'Amelie'? Charming, funny, heartwarming, fun, clever, brilliant, and fullfilling. I won't go into the storyline suffice to say its not your everyday boy meets girl movie.

I found the filming (2.35-1 ratio) very contemporary in style with a fair number of pleasing effects. Everything seemed to have a deliberate colour push (a bit like Moulin Rouge) but with a green tint throughout the film. This was not unpleasent and actually complimented the movies quirky style. The Transfer was mostly stunning (on my 87" wide screen) with superb depth and detail.

The DTS soundtrack (DD only for R1) was the cherry on top. With a superb score it lifted the whole experience even further.

Forget waiting for R1 on July 16th. If your player can spin R2, buy this NOW.

Eric

· Registered
4,137 Posts
Eric,

I should have this any day now and can't wait to see it. I happen to be a big fan of Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children, and am very much looking forward to seeing what Jeunet has in store for me this time out.

--Jerome

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi,

the Canadian version has already been released. I ordered my copy at http://www.dvdsoon.com/showtitledetails.xml?uid=35939

I would not like to watch a film with artistic sound track with 4% PAL speed up sorry....

Anybody got the canadian version yet or did I get something wrong?

Cheers

Christoph

· Registered
1,195 Posts
joekun

thanks for the hint, I overlooked that. I'll send them an email whether that is the case or not :(

Christoph

· Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jeroen
I think uncle e got the r2 uk release which is french with english subs AND it has a subtitled commentary unlike the upcoming r1.
Jeroen,

Dead on as per usual. I ordered this on R1 some time ago only to find it staring back at me from a shelf at a Virgin store in London.

There are two versions on sale here. One is a straightforward no nonsense package, the other (which I purchased) is a Boxed set also containing the CD soundtrack of the movie.

I will sit and listen to the commentry (in english believe it or not) track tonight.

Prepare yourself for one of the most charming and clever films produced in recent years. An absolute joy.

By the way, I know how fussy you are with PQ. You wont be dissapointed with this one.

Regards

Eric

· Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by joekun
Looks like that Canadian release you linked to doesn't contain English subs. Too bad for me :(
Are you sure?

Eric

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by uncle eric

Are you sure?

Eric
I, too, have to confirm, DVDsoon wrote back and told me: No English subtitles on the current version :(

· Registered
714 Posts
So the R2 UK release has an english commentary? Is it Jeunet speaking in broken english or is it someone else? The commentary with english subtitles is an interesting idea.

Does anyone know if ANY of the R1 versions (Canadian or U.S.), released on July 16th, will contain the commentary track and if so, will it be in french, english or subtitled in english??

· Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Crow331
So the R2 UK release has an english commentary? Is it Jeunet speaking in broken english or is it someone else?
Its Jeunet. And I can tell you, its one of the most entertaining commentries I've heard. The man gives a great insight into his film making whilst at the same time managing to bring much levity into the whole thing.

Apparently Jaques Chirac the French Leader asked for and got a personal screening of 'Amelie' and asked Jeunet to sit next to him during the movie.

He asked "Why did you make this lovely slender tiny girl wear such BIG shoes?" Before Jeunet could reply, Chirac looked down at the directors feet and said "Oh I see"

Regards

Eric

ps, Jereon, did you get your copy yet?

· Registered
714 Posts
I'm sure it's very entertaining! A couple months back they did a screening here in Hollywood at the Egyptian Theatre and Jeunet was on hand for a Q&A ... he was pretty funny and even funnier trying to understand what he was saying. I was thoroughly entertained! I was also surprised to hear how many of the things in this movie were based on real people or events that happened. The scrapbook of quickie photos, if I recall, was based on a friend of his who actually has this hobby and they even used his real scrapbook in the movie! I thought that was cool.

It just goes to show you that some of the best movies aren't always written by some Hollywood writer, but are based on real events/people ... life is so much more interesting. You can't make this stuff up !!

· Registered
183 Posts
That LE case is badass. Also what is cool: The Brotherhood of the Wolf LE case. Sweet.

I still can't decide if I want to spring for the R2 disc (meaning I must buy a hack kit, OR a region-free dvd player) or wait for the inferior R1 version.

· Registered
27,741 Posts
My wife and I saw this film at its American debut at the Telluride Film Festival last September in Colorado.

My wife and I feel it is the most enjoyable film we've ever seen.

Wonderful!

· Registered
44 Posts
I just rented this a few days ago and decided upon my second viewing of this wonderful film that I'm going to purchase it very soon. I just fell in love with Audrey Tautou and will definitely check out her earlier films.

· Registered
19,587 Posts
Its definitely a wonderful, quirky film, that I think will definitely be one of those that will get even better with subsequent viewings. Definitely has some eye popping, manipulated colors, and just great cinematography all around.

As I said in another thread on this film, could I fall in love with a woman like that... Oui!

· Registered
156 Posts
I really enjoyed this film, so when I was in Paris recently, I just had to visit Montmartre where most of Amelie was filmed.

Here is a panorama of the merry-go-round with the Sacre Coeur basilica in the background. The view of Paris from the top of the hill is amazing.

______

Rick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.